Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Christian and Skippy

Go down 
+5
Wissy
teekathepony
Reggie
Flicka
charlo
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:28 am

Good for Christian, obvioulsy listening to his coach well. The big countdown is on......how many days do you have left now Charlo....how does Christian feel about his progress, does he think he is GETTING IT!!!! Do you have any idea how many kids are going to be in the class? Are you all going as a family to watch and cheer, or just you and him.....and of course Skippy.!!??

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 am

There is 15 days left to go. The event is two weeks from today. We'll be leaving the night before right after school, so about 3 o'clock, hopefully all goes well and we make it there around 5-5:30. The course is opened to walk at 6 o'clock so I want to be there at that time to walk it, and walk it again if possible.

Yes I think he is getting it, sometimes I wonder, but last night when he had a really nice control, relaxed canter I asked him did you feel that and he answered yes. It still a long road, but he is getting it.

As to how many competitors I not really sure, I have been out of the sport for so long I really don't know. I do know there were 5 in his division at the spring horse trials that Horse Trials PEI put on. So maybe 5 plus him.

Nope no family, just him and I and the horse. My husband isn't into horses and finds the waiting around not fun. Which is fine by me. And Isobel gets bored when she isn't the center of attention lol! They stay home we go to horse shows.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:41 am

I understand that.......nice time for you two though, just something you and him do and enjoy together....thats really cool. Glad he is starting to FEEL IT........you must be real proud Charlo.....I'm certainly routing for you all. :cowboyhound.gi

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Just a quick update...All work and no play make for unhappy horse and rider...so this weekend is all trail rides. Which has been great. Trail rides are great for building endurance for both horse and rider and also for building a better partnership between them. Tomorrow is also trail ride day. Then back to real work.
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Again we have just been trail riding the past few days. Now that the first day of school is out of the way hopefully we'll get some actual work done, but I'm sure both Christian and Skippy are not complaining about the trail riding.

Tonight we rode for a little while on the road, along a Ducks Unlimited pond, which was full of LOTS of ducks. Ducks and a flighty TB oh it was fun...of course Skippy just looked and went ho hum, and snorted. I think she was telling Jazzy to grow up. At least that's my story ha ha.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am

and sticking to it I'm sure.......pix of the ducks would have been pretty cool though.....hint hint hint Christian and Skippy - Page 2 590471

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 am

I'm not talented enough to ride and take pictures on a dumb red head flighty TB. Especially last night the whole ride she was acting like a TB about to go to the starting gate. Oh my!

I'm so glad Skippy is level headed, though even last night she was being a little more lively then needed. lol!
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:27 pm

With the first week back to school, riding has taken a back burner, so it has been mostly trails this week. Last night we did have a session on jumping. Some days we have good day, some days we have bad days...last night wasn't so good.

He seemed to have forgotten everything we have worked on up to this point. Just let her race, forgot all about form, forgot about going with the horse, forgot about...well you get it. I tell him to jump a series of jumps and he would forget half way through which ones to jump, and then jump one he wasn't suppose to. Christian and Skippy - Page 2 808586

So yeah it wasn't all that great. I'm going to chalk it up to being the first week of a new school, being tired, learning new things, having to remember lots more etc. I will admit the way he rode last night has me a little nervous for next weekend but I say that and I have seen him ride well, and I know he can do it so...

We did end the night on a good note, which shows me there is hope yet. lol! I have a combination set up with a vertical 2 strides to an oxer. Vertical - is a single jump with two standards and poles an Oxer is two jumps placed close together and gets jumped as one This was a giant issue last night. He would ride her to it, then just throw her away and expect her to get them through it ...the saint of a horse did it every time. So what I did was add two trotting poles before the vertical, and made him halt her before the 1st pole. We did this a couple of times then I made him say out loud in a nice controlled ie SLOW manner Trot Trot Trot, over the two jumps. So with him thinking about keeping her trotting he stopped thinking about everything else. So break through on the vertical...he lost it over the Oxer. oiy Next I made him trot, over the vertical and SIT up upon landing and TROT....It went well, except for one thing, at the base of the jump he would give her a kick each time...duh one doesn't kick the horse, one squeezes their upper legs to help her jump. So once we got that sorted out it went much better.

I took away the oxer, and just left it as a vertical so Vertical to vertical...The last time he jumped it, it was near enough to perfect that I called it a night. He trotted her up to the 1st vertical, jumped it sat up on the landed sat up and deep going to the next vertical, and Sat up straight and tall on the landing. Halleluiah He rode it like an EQ rider would ride their jumps...Maybe there is hope after all.
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 pm

There is a new fad out among young people called Planking...it is where you lay flat on an object like a sign, car, two chairs etc.
n
Christian can now say he planked on a horse jumping :doglaugh.gif: He went over one jump, kind of lost his balanced a little and did the Superman pose. He didn't fall off and had control right away. So yep he planked...and he had better not do it again. :-)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm

hahaha.....never heard of PLANKING........but I dont have young kids.......sounds real exciting though......sure glad he kept his balance and stayed on.......keep on trucking Charlo,,,,,,,did you get fixed up for somewhere to stay?

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I think he has the best coach and mount a boy could ask for. It's so nice to see a MALE take such an interest. Over here it's pretty much a girls sport. I only know of 3 guys who show and I sure hope they stick with it.

Skippy sounds like the energizer bunny. I have a very soft spot for the "veterans" of the equine world. They are such amazing teachers. Keep up the good work and you'd better have some pics of the actual trial - or else we'll send Joan over to sort you out!
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I agree Tammy and when he hits the age where he really cares about girls (its starting...eep) he is going to have a blast! Ha Ha

Yes she is the energizer bunny, but if you saw her in the field you would never guess what she is like under saddle. We call her our Eeyore...she walks with her head down, taking slow and steady steps, not a care in the world. lol!

So we had to go away this weekend for a wedding. It is a good thing my pasture is a hill, and she has to put up with two overly active younger horses, that enjoy nothing more then making her move about lol!

We worked on jumping tonight again. It isn't good to jump a horse a lot but with the not so good jumping practice last week I wanted to fit one in before the closing of the entries at the horse trials which is tomorrow - just in case I had to pull him out of the show, it is better to do it before the closing date. Also she isn't jumped a whole lot, nor has she jumped a whole lot in the past few years, so I felt it was ok. We will probably have one more session this week, just to make sure they are both working together. But it will be a short one.

Tonight went way better. He was relaxed, she was relaxed, I even had him practicing jumping up and down the hill. (something he may face at the trials.) He jumped both direction wonderfully. Actually the down hill jump was better then the up hill, and down hill is harder to get the right balance for both the horse and rider.

I had him warm her up a on a long rein so she could stretch out, we worked on circles and serpentines. This was to get her bending and listing to him. I then knocked all the jumps down to cross rails, and got him to work at that height. He did these are a fairly longer rein, he still had contact but his hands weren't holding her. I added different jumps and twists and turns, some tight, some big and sweeping. I did get him to short his reins a little more, I noticed less tension which is wonderful. As they worked on I upped the height of the jumps...the Trials is around 18" or so, and he is now schooling 2ft. It is always good to show a level lower then what you are schooling at home.

Christian joined Pony Club this year and is now starting his testing. He wrote his D and D1 level test for pony club today, so lots of different horse things. D is the starter levels for Pony Club.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 am

so how did he do on the Written Test??? I am actually understanding what you are talking about now.....and even if you dont post pictures I am beginning to SEE it...........I would much prefer the photos.....but at least I am not so much left in the dark~~~~~~~

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 7:20 am

We technically we don't know how he did as they weren't officially marked yet, but I'm pretty positive that he passed with flying colours, or maybe I should say jumping colours. :-)
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Here you go Joan, and everyone else...

Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Weddingjumpsept2011021
Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Weddingjumpsept2011018
Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Weddingjumpsept2011023
Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Weddingjumpsept2011015
Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Weddingjumpsept2011028

I am also including a video of his jumping a grid and a single cross rail.

Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Th_weddingjumpsept2011044
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.............just perfect......I loved the video......how did you get that here???? great pictures and it was some fun watching them do their thing.........sounded like you still had tons of bugs flying around, or was that just the camera???? I LOVE YOUR MARE............ :cowboyhound.gi

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 am

They were horrible last night...during that video I think I had over 20-30 bugs on my fingers...it was gross!

As to how I got the video on - I uploaded it photobucket and then just copied the link provided, (I think it was the "URL" one) then pasted it onto my message.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:56 am

ok, I couldnt figure out how to get a video here without going into Youtube....I cant find a quick magic button to post straight to here........thanks.

just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 am

any word yet on his written test scores???

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 am

Nope haven't heard a thing...I'm sure he passed, so I'm not overly concerned
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Ride time are out - Christian rides on Saturday for Dressage at 11:34, Stadium at 2:32 and Cross Country at 3:12. Going to make for a long day, but at least it isn't going to be an early morning and I - the groom does not need to braid the night before - YAY!!!

Getting excited, but slightly ok lots nervous. But as long as he remembers his course, doesn't fall off and has LOADS of fun, it will be a good weekend.

Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 am

DRIVE SAFELY...........HAVE A BLAST........AND GOOD LUCK TO CHRISTIAN AND SKIPPY AND PLEASE, FOR GODS SAKE........SHUT UP ON THE SIDELINES AND JUST TAKE PICTURES......oh and remember to :good_luck_grap BREATHE

charlo

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 am

Rain rain go away...Wind wind go away...Hopefully by the time I come to the bridge today the wind will be gone and not cause the bridge to be closed to high sided traffic...

I hate rain when it comes to hauling horses, my trailer is a stock trailer, so has open slates on it. I usually just put their rain sheets on, and they stay dry, but I still hate it. Christian and Skippy - Page 2 474306
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:16 am

PRAYING THE BRIDGE IS NOT TOO WINDY............. :cowboyhound.gi

Flicka

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 am

Good luck, for both of you!!!! Him for having fun, and hopefully placing and for you for keeping your head on your shoulders and keeping calm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian and Skippy   Christian and Skippy - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christian and Skippy
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next