Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

nail in the frog :(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
withaTwist

withaTwist

nail in the frog :( Empty
PostSubject: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:05 am

so my pony must have known that lessons were coming, and managed to step on a nail. it was sticking out when we found it, he had JUST done it, so i pulled it out.

anytreatment reccomendations? he's currently getting it soaked,then poulticed (as recommended by the vet). she didnt say penicillin or anything tho? he's still ouchy and its been 3 days
Back to top Go down
barnmom

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

I would reccomend an exray to see if it did any damage to the coffin bone!! I had that happen a few years ago and even though it looked like it hadn't gone too deep it did chip off a peice of the coffin bone and caused some damage!! Not trying to scare you, Just saying you should probably have it checked!!
Good luck I hope it is just superficial!!
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:18 pm

So how is he??

Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:29 pm

im glad you asked! i switched from the clay poultice to something called animalintex pads, which are AMAZING. a friend recommended them for puncture wounds, as they absorb and suck out anything or any fluid. it was like magic, or one of those biore nose things. anyway, after 4 days of the pads (and the days before of clay poultice) he was moving nicely with no soreness, with the tape removed and everything.

going to try riding tomorrow :)
Back to top Go down
HHSES

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Animalintex pads are a godsend! They are amazing when dealing with any type of infection. I would reccommend everyone to have some around!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hhsoundequinesolutions.com
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

pony still sore, vet coming friday, may ask for an xray.... wish us luck :(
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 am

good luck.

There was an article year or so ago in Horse and Rider, I think, about what to do if your horse steps on a nail. To late for you now. If I recall though, the reccomend, if you have to pull it out take a marker and mark on the hoof exactly where it was, mark on the nail how far in it went and if possible note the angle it went in at. Ideally you leave the nail and let the vet remove, but sometimes that isn't possible depending on how far in it went.

Good luck hope he is OK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nail in the frog :(   nail in the frog :( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

nail in the frog :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: