Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

probiotics/prebiotics

Go down 
+5
FIREBUG
Flicka
Tango
Loves Color
amadtatter
9 posters
AuthorMessage
amadtatter

amadtatter

probiotics/prebiotics Empty
PostSubject: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm

I have a horse that is prone to gas colic and I've read some good things about probiotics. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this type of supplement, either good or bad. From what I have read, some of them (or maybe all of them) contain sugar, which is the main reason I am hesitant to use one...my gelding is a "chunky monkey" and I restrict his sugar intake as much as I can. Any information would be very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:42 pm

RedBaronBPeppy spoke of them in another thread...

Quote :
I agree with TripleC that you should do a bit more research/consulting before any drastic changes- but, i am very PRO probiotic! I didn't really know much about them, but then for an equine class i did at school, i did a paper on homeopathic methods and did some research on probiotics. this spring, i put all three of my horses on Pur-Yeast which i believe is one of the more common probiotics used. the difference in all of them, is unbelievable. I didn't really believe that a supplement could affect a horses behaviour THAT drastically. one of my geldings, is very touchy. he is fearful, and in turn, defensive. sometimes without meaning to i would trigger this defensive-ness and he has tried to kick me and attack me.. usually this happened because i touched or brushed against his belly or hip or something and he reacted the way you describe your geldings reaction- but a bit more severe. after the yeast, he was a completely different horse. he was calm, and accepting, and much less sensitive. a nutritionist also took a look at him and said he probably had ulcers and the yeast would be beneficial for that as well. (it also eliminates hay bellies!!!!!!)

just my thoughts on probiotics, I personally think they are wonderful, and more people should look into them :) they are good for people, so why not good for horses!!

the yeast that I buy is Pur-Yeast. I believe its a Purina product. it comes in a large tub, and it lasts forever. I am just finishing up the tub that i bought in may, and have been feeding it to 2-3 horses since. its only about $25 i think so its very much worth the investment. it definately cant hurt. I even give it to my healthy 3 yr old filly. it also has a calming effect
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Let me know if you find anything else out. Tazz has quite the hay belly and is prone to occasionally loose stool. I have heard that probiotics cetainly help with the hay belly. I keep meaning to email the vet and ask him, I should do that now while I'm thinking of it. Things are getting crazy here.

What do you mean by gas colic? Does it require the vet?

Good luck, how is Boomer doing with his feet?

Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Glad you brought this up. I have been meaning to order some for my mare and it keeps slipping my mind. Just got off the phone with my feed supplier...ORDERED.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Boom is doing OK Tango, thanks for asking. I have moved him to a different barn and he is MUCH happier. I am getting the odd trail ride in, but I am so hung up on making him sore that I seem to find every excuse in the book to avoid riding him. I guess that is something I am going to have to get over. He is still barefoot and is acting as a case study for the drug Previcox...so far so good..he seems better than pasture sound. I am still struggling with his weight, trying to keep him from exploding...the lack of work really makes that a challenge. I am really intrigued with the whole probiotic issue...would LOVE to try it, but it contains quite a bit of sugar so I am leaning towards not getting it. Was hoping for some more insight from all of these super smart forum members :o)
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 am

I know before I got Flicka she use to colic at least twice a year, the vet had us give her a handful (about 1/2 a cup) of brain with each meal. In the last 9(ish) years she's only coliced three times or so (and for all but once we know roughly why, winter lack of drinking due to cold water, being moved to haylage after telling them not to at the barn I was boarding at once and once for some on known reason other then she knew I had some money saved up for something else.)
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am

Vet said to go ahead and try probiotics for Tazz, won't hurt and might help - he mentioned the most common causes of loose stools are either allergy, drinking alot or stress. The other is if there are motility issues - if there is trouble passing stools this will lead to the runny ones.

Now to find them, Shur Gain and Co-Op here don't sell them. I never thought to ask at the vet lab. I think there is a Purina dealer around so I'll try him.

Back to top Go down
FIREBUG

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 12:30 pm

A horse at my barn use to have gas colic alot. He is now on Fast Tracks. He seems to be doing much
better. I use Pur-a-Yeast with my guy daily. Just think it's a good addition to his diet and it's not going
to hurt.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am

Pur-a-yeast is the one I was looking at as well but I'm not sure I like the added sugar...it apparently does wonders for a hay belly too!!
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 7:06 am

I think Probiotics are just has important has the vet visit..Bay-Lee get 3 months worth every spring, I buy mine from Earth Song ranch, They make the stuff when ordered, so we get live yeast...each scoop has 43 billion live, viable yeast cells..Now to my belief Probiotcs expire, so when feeding be sure they are still good and live..,Plus, this product has no sugar....Here is a link to the product...

http://www.earthsongranch.com/Equine-Zyme-2p225.htm#details
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 am

Tango wrote:
Vet said to go ahead and try probiotics for Tazz, won't hurt and might help - he mentioned the most common causes of loose stools are either allergy, drinking alot or stress. The other is if there are motility issues - if there is trouble passing stools this will lead to the runny ones.

Now to find them, Shur Gain and Co-Op here don't sell them. I never thought to ask at the vet lab. I think there is a Purina dealer around so I'll try him.

Another contributing factor to loose stool can be magnesium deficiancy. I think you've mentioned in the past this horse can be hard to handle and nervous at times? This can also be a sign of mag def. I've read great things on various forums about this product:

http://www.performanceequineusa.com/dimgansiummalate.aspx

Magnesium is also really important for horses with IR. I'm going to start giving this to my mare once I have a bit of spare cash.

amadtatter - Glad to hear you've found a barn that works with your situation a bit more and that your boy is doing better. Are you a member of the Yahoo Equine Cushings group? I recently joined and I think you will find it to be a great resource. Boomer might not be cushings, but IR and cushings go hand in hand and there are people on that forum who know what they are talking about. I think it has over 9000 members and they've helped 1000's of horses over the years. They know what works and what doesn't and would be able to recommend pro/pre botics that are safe for an IR horse.

Herbs for Horses sells probiotics but I can't find the ingredients list on there website.
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Shur gain had their Equaline pellets on sale last week so I picked some up. I'm going to check - I'm fairly certain it has added Magnesium, but was surprised to see it didn't have selenium. They have a salt lick with the selenium added though. It does have the biotin and zinc which I know my gelding may benefit from.

Thanks for the idea, certainly worth looking into. He is such a moody fellow - has grumpy days and other days he is quite the comedian.
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 pm

LovesColor relayed my thoughts on probiotics... they really are great. all of my guys are easy keepers and the added sugar doesnt really affect them one way or the other. the amount fed is so minimal that it shouldnt really cause a noticable difference.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 am

I have used and and i know many that have with great results, I use it on one of our horses that has ulcers and can colic easy he does awesome on it.. I use it during the summer with loads of traveling and showing or if i fine i am having issues getting weight on one of the horses or babies.. Love it!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
Tango

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:34 am

Does anyone know how long after starting before you should see any difference. We started Tazz on them just before Christmas, and I have noticed when he passes manure there is no little ummmm, dribble? at the end. But I've only been "witness" a couple of times lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: probiotics/prebiotics   probiotics/prebiotics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

probiotics/prebiotics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: