Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long distance trail riding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

Long distance trail riding Empty
PostSubject: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am

I want to get into endurance riding. I spoke with the ACTRA representatives at their booth at the January Thaw last weekend. I'm trying to find a an email address to contact (as they mentioned) but I'm not finding it.

Any of you involved?

I don't have a trailer but I'm sure I could arrange trailering as FK and I would split the cost as our mares would travel together.

For those of you who are involved, how do you keep your horses in shape during the colder months and also come spring? Is it necessary to ride english/in an edurance type saddle? That is no issue, just trying to plan ahead.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

If you tell me what you want to know, I can tell you who to contact :).

Any bridle/saddle, etc is allowed.

My horses haven't had much use this winter so we plan on getting back into shape around March. I want to be ready for the 16 mile JP in Parrsoboro in June. There is usually an earlier mud run in NS as well, but dates haven't been released yet.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am

Well, I'd like to know where the rides take place.. to see if I could even make one.

FK and I have been toying with the idea of getting involved in something but have sort of being going back and forth with what is readily available to us. Were both at the point in our lives where we are capable of doing more than what we've done, if we find something that we enjoy.

We have an incredible amount of trails available to us.. when the trails are accessible we do A LOT, over all kinds of terrain and we really enjoy it, and so do our mares. We were thinking that a great goal would be to add a spin to our rides - plan a trail route, time ourselves, and have check points where we would access our horses pulse/body ect. It would just add a little more fun to what we are already doing. Make us be able to set goals, ect.

We tried to organize an event last summer but unfortunately it fell through due to time restraints. The stable was hoping to organize something else this summer - after reading through the overview our area would be perfect - natural water sources, both challanging and non challanging routes.

Our main concern was insurance and liability. The stable grounds are large... There is adequate room for trailers and we also have available turnout areas & 7 box stalls. A portable toilet would be on site and there is also a lot of room should we wish to make it an over night event.

Seeing as how the above sort of slipped through the cracks I'd like to make arrangments to attend something of the sort. It wouldn't have to be a judged event.. or even an ACTRA ride.. I've been involved with forrums for... 8 years now and have come to know and grown fond of a large amount of very interesting people but have met very few... I'd like that to change.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 am

I have to eat breakfast and then I can answer your questions :)
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 am

At this point the website hasn't been updated with ride details for 2012. Be patient! They'll be there soon. There are rides in NB and NS. The general meeting will be in the spring.

If your thinking of hosting I would recommend you at least volunteer at a ride or two so you can learn how everything works. Read this: http://www.ac-tra.ca/images/ACTRARuleBook.pdf as it tells you everything you need to know. They always need volunteers.

Most rides are 2 day events on the weekend. So Saturday will be one ride and Sunday another. As far as I know, people stay overnight at all events. Turnouts and stalls are not required. I volunteered at a ride in the middle of a field with nothing except a porta potty and a water source. Participants will need to bring appropriate stabling for their horses as well as everything else you'll need for the horses and humans to survive/rough it. In Parrsboro last summer we had access to an indoor toilet with a sink with hot water which was WONDERFUL (especially since I was in a tent). People stayed in tents, travel or horse trailers with horses in hot pens.

I don't know any details on insurance.....in Parrsboro I had to have private ins or NBEA as a competitor. If I hosted a ride I think I would want some kind of extra insurance, just in case. I would talk that over with your insurance rep.

Food is provided usually by the host. A bagged lunch when riders come in at the half way point (basic sandwich, apple, piece of cheese, cookie, gatorade, etc) and then supper when everyone is done the ride. In Parrsboro our supper was a pot luck and we had tons of food. Breakfast was coffee/tea with muffins.

If you and FK have a loop that you usually ride, figure out how far it is. Get familar with your horses resting pulse and respiration. Bring them along slowly. There is limited info online on endurance but if you dig you'll find some.

I really love this sport and I think you will too. For me personally I feel like I've found "my place" if you know what I mean.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the information!

I think the stable was looking at doing a fun event for horse people to meet one another, not necessarily an endurance/competitive run but seeing as how I don't own the facilities.. and dedicated countless hours for none of it to come of anything I'm leaning towards finding other ways to fulfill my needs.

I've owned horses for many years, but have never become involved with a certain dicipline/sport. We are going to be playing polocrosse for fun, which is great! but my real passion as of late has been trail riding and I know that my horse enjoys that more than anything - it's obvious.

Volunteering at a ride is a great idea! I will keep my eyes/ears open.
Back to top Go down
Trot'n Trails

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 pm

I am a member of ACTRA and we would love to see you come aboard!! With this sport you can be as competitive as you want. Some members are there just to collect their miles and socialize and enjoy the miles of scenic trails. Others like the added bonus of seeing how fit their horses are and if their conditioning regime is working or not.

We have Judged Pleasures (12-20 miles and no time limit), Introductory Distance Rides (15-20 miles with a time limit), Competitive Trail Rides (20-40 miles with a time limit), Limited Distance and Endurance with set times.

Our competitions take place in PEI, NS and NB. They usually start in May and finish in October.

I usually ride year round, with only the weekends in the wintertime (work full time and it is the daylight thing). Lots of LSD (Long Slow Distance) work in the beginning and then increasing the trot time and distance. But never at the same time.

There are LOTS of articles on conditioning, feeding, riding and competing. Just google Endurance Riding or Competitive Trail Riding.

But feel free to fire off any questions and I will hopefully be able to answer them!! I've been a member of ACTRA now for 19 +/- years and have over 4,500 ACTRA Miles.

Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Good blog entry explaining the sport:

http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=18680
Back to top Go down
willowsfriend

willowsfriend

PostSubject: trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 pm

WIIW, I hope to get into this as well, with my daughter - someday the hubby and son too. Starting with the Judged Pleasure & Introductory Distance rides and maybe just those! I won't have an athlete to ride, but hope to have some fun. It seems like a ton of fun for horse & rider!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long distance trail riding   Long distance trail riding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long distance trail riding
Page 1 of 1