Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?

Go down 
+2
lb-ranch
Hug a Horse Farm
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hug a Horse Farm

a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Empty
PostSubject: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 am

(caution - a rant)

Why can't people measure horses? Or better yet, why cant' people tell the truth about how tall their 'for sale' horses are?

I remember going shopping nine years ago and constantly seeing horses that were MUCH shorter than advertised. Now I see nothing has changed.

I owned a 14.1 horse who was listed as 15 hands on his papers! But he was measured by two stewards and he was 14.1 and not a hair higher. So after 13 years I knew what 14.1 felt like. When he died I went shopping and found many small horses - ponies - that were being sold as 15 hands and taller. What's with that people?

Now shopping again is a nightmare. I see an ad for a horse i used to know - who was carefully taped at two shows because he wasn't tall enough for horse classes. BUT the ad says he's 15.2! a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? 382802

Are there any honest horse sellers out there?
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 am

LOL I had people saddle shopping once that said they needed a saddle to fit their 16.2 Draft cross, they found a saddle they liked so I brought in my 16.1 draft cross so they could get an idea of fit, They gasped when they saw mine. They said their "coach/barn owner" was measuring by standing on the end of the tape, then putting it against the horse up shoulder and around touching the body to withers. Turns out theirs was closer to 14.3 when they picked a different horse out of my bunch they said was the same size as theirs at home. I also once bought a Registered QH stallion just on photos that was supposed to be almost 15hh, he stepped of trailer just a hair under 14.1. And also have found alot of people measure to the rump and seems there are a bunch of down hill built horses out there too. lol
I have a post in our cross tie spot in the barn that has measurement marked on it so every time you walk a horse by or groom it's easy to see their true height.
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

yes, i guess you're right. most people have no idea how to measure.

That's very funny - 16.1 became 14.3!!! Wow
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:15 pm

There are so many things in the "horse world" that just blow my mind.....

I know people who are clueless when it come to everything and anything horse and it just fascinates me that they call themselves experienced..... seriously?

I can't even begin to write down all the different versions of "gelding" I've seen advertized.. guilding, gueldeng... and don't even get me started on filly vs colt. Age is another thing.. people forget to age their horses.... or just take off a few or add a few when they see fit.

Advertized as bombproof/child safe can be an untrained, not broke, wild, devil of a horse. Goes well under saddle.. tells me absolutely nothing. Denife well would ya?

If it has a large spot its a paint, small spot an app, if it's fast is a thoroughbred, stubborn well duh, he's part mustang. Another thing people have trouble grasping in color... Brown is not a good description.......

A person who knows anything about horses should be able to tell the size of a horse (approx) by standing near it.

I feel your pain :(
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm

LOL thanks for making me laugh today, guys.

How about this ad (honest to god):

Brown horse. Likes kids, goes fast.
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm

The one that gets me is my horse is 15.6 hands. Heaven sakes you would not know how tall it is.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Quote :
Advertised as bombproof/child safe can be an untrained, not broke, wild, devil of a horse.

This. A million times this.

When I was pony shopping I had an ad up that said 'Wanted: Small pony who is suitable for very young child beginner. Must be around 10-12hh, broke and QUIET.'

I don't even want to know how many replies I got from people with 14hh unstarted 8-12 year old nags who would be 'perfect' for a child with 'a few more miles' (these horses usually were about a grand). One of these was a 14.2hh, 8 year old, *halterbroke* morgan/arab. Perfect. I'll just set my 3 y/o on up there and .... HIGH-HO SILVA! AWAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My all time fave reply was from some old guy with this off the track standardbred mare. It went something like this: Ol' Firecracker pixie (named changed to hide identity lol) is only a little horse, probably same size as a pony. She was too slow to qualify, so she'd be real good as a saddle horse. I stuck the grandkids up on her a few times in the stall while she was eating and she never did nothing.

I went to look at a horse (for myself) who was listed as well over 16hh, I tell you he was every inch of 15.3, but no where near the bean sprout he was made out to be. He came for sale again a few months ago from a different owner, and still, he was listed as over 16h. I guess if you never verify.....
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:15 pm

hahaha...oh man. ya, there are some good ones out there. i also like the, "my horse is 15.4 hands" haha..
i usually just chuckle at these, but the ones that frustrate me are the people who email asking if your horse is suitable for exactly the opposite of how you have them listed...
for example, my GREEN 3 y/o filly, who, as I have clearly stated in her ads, is GREEN, only has 30 DAYS training, and for EXPERIENCED riders only as she is still a baby and still learning... you would not believe how many people emailed or called me asking if she would be suitable for a beginner child ...simply because she was pony sized! GRRRR..

I even had someone ask me "how high will she be able to jump in the future?" ...... ummm hang on, just let me check my crystal ball and ill get back to you on that one..... :s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?   a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a hand is 4 inches ...isn't it?
Page 1 of 1