Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whole or Ground Flaxseed?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PaintedRidge

PaintedRidge

Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Empty
PostSubject: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi

I just purchased a bag of whole flaxseed, but there seems to be a lot of ways to feed it.

I was thinking of grinding it before every feed, working up to one cup per day. What does everyone else do?

Just wondering a lot of opinions about in on the internet.

Whole or Ground Flaxseed? 510297
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 pm

I started with an old hand cranked coffee grinder and graduated to an electric grinder. I guess hubby wasn't so keen with my using his "yard sale treasure".

I just do a bit at a time.....probably 1/3 cup of seeds per feeding.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I haven't done it for awhile as am getting a tad confused on the nutrition thing. However, having said that, I really do believe it contributed to a shiney coat and possibly helped with his frogs.
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm

grind it daily as it oils deteriorate very quickly once ground.

I feed 1 cup a day because I don't have pasture and the omega 6 to 3 balance of flax is very similar to green grass. Many only feed it in the winter months - for the same reason.

some horses take a bit of time to get used to it. our plan is good - to build slowly.
Back to top Go down
PaintedRidge

PaintedRidge

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 am

Thank you ladies I went with the pepper grinder and started last night with a bit, it really looks nice when ground even yummy. Ridge did like it. Am going for the omga 3 for him. Very little pasture in winter. The nutrition thing is very confusing! Alot of people suggested the whole flaxseed over the processed kind.

Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:07 am

whole seed is bagged at one time of year and ages ...not well in warmer weather ... and looses value - often goes rancid which is bad (you can smell the difference... NOT "yummy"). But is much cheaper than ground seed. Then again, much of the whole seeds will pass straight through the horse and not be worth feeding if you don't grind it up yourself.

The STABILIZED ground seed from Valley Flax is the best ground version for preserving content but is more expensive
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 am

I wonder if keeping it in the refridgerator would help? I buy the whole seeds in bulk......about 16 cups at a time and grind what I need each time. Have never had it go rancid and like you say, it is good tasting. Nice on cereal.

Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 am

sure, grind a week at a time and keep it cold
Back to top Go down
PaintedRidge

PaintedRidge

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

What about storing the whole bag before we grind it? I plan to grind it on a daily basis, but what would be the best storage for the bag of seeds? Right now it is in my poarch!
Back to top Go down
Becca

Becca

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

I grind a weeks worth at a time. Keep the whole flax in a cool and shaded place. For instance mine is in a cupboard downstairs (which is always cold!) I buy allot at one time at bulk barn and it's still fresh after 2 months. I only feed a half cup a day and has done wonders for my horse!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whole or Ground Flaxseed?   Whole or Ground Flaxseed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whole or Ground Flaxseed?
Page 1 of 1