Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

do they remeber?

Go down 
+2
RobinsKelticBuckaroo
mypony
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:54 pm

How much do horses remember from there past? I was think this for a while. I have know horses that remember traumatic things from their past. They do remember things we train them to do.

What about who they know? Do you think a mare remember her foal(s)? Even if they left her when they are weaned and sees them years later? What about pasture buddies that may have spent years together, then they are separated, and then meet up again?

The reason I started to think of this was because last fall my friend brought over his mare to stay with my boys for a few weeks. My gelding Thunder lived with this mare for years. It was two years since the last time they saw each other and when the mare was turned out with the boys, it was like Thunder knew exactly who she was. He gave a low soft call to her (and she did not kick at him, like the other two boys!) They spent alot of time together.

What do you think about what horses remember? And who they know?
Back to top Go down
RobinsKelticBuckaroo

RobinsKelticBuckaroo

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:20 pm

there was actually an article about this in Equus last month, ill see if i can some how post it on here, but it did conclude that horses did remember things from up to a few years at least. Im heading to bed now though but will try to post it after work tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:33 am

of course they remember.......my blind horse remembered where the trails were and the sound of voices......and you can see them react to whomever was abusive............sure they remember.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:15 am

oh yes I agree they do remember.. when TE takes Gunnar up to another barn.. and he hears one particular voice he nickers to her even if he can't see her.. he knows who she is..
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 12:12 pm

I am sure that horses retain memories. A few years ago we rebought a mare that we had once owned. She had been away from us for almost 2 years. When she came off the trailer she started for the barn literally by herself so we let her go and she walked in an into her old spot like no time had passed. If they could only talk!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
crippledcowgirl

crippledcowgirl

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:22 pm

I think horses definetly have memories. Our Standardbred's old owners come to visit him once in awhile. She is a photographer and as soon as Eko hears her voice he starts performing for the camera. He is such a show off with her. It's too cute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

do they remeber? Empty
PostSubject: Re: do they remeber?   do they remeber? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

do they remeber?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: