Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re doing the fences

Go down 
+8
~TC~
Barefoot_Horsegirl
barnmom
Wissy
lb-ranch
Tammy
hopeful_farm
just joan
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Re doing the fences Empty
PostSubject: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 am

I.ve had my fences up for 9 years and most of the posts have now got to be replaced. I have rolled wire on there now along with 2 strands of electric........its way too much overkill and a great deal of time and work went into installing it. However...the fence worked well, and it is now the only thing holding up the posts.

this year I would like to do it smarter and easier..........I just received a nice new catalogue from System Fencing...........anyone out there got any suggestions, ideas, comments..........I have about 12acres to be fenced and divided into 4 different paddocks ets.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
hopeful_farm

hopeful_farm

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:27 pm

all I can say is that is alot of work!

I love 3 strands of electric in the summer and the mesh topped with electric in your winter field... just my preference. ;)
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't really know what to suggest. But I can tell you what NOT to use - based on my experience. We have put electric on the top of our fences so that they don't get used in less than desireable ways by the inmates - I mean horses. I saw the 1.5" tape stuff at our local Princess Auto and thought, "what GREAT visibility - and pretty too". Well, that type sure isn't designed to stand up to the winds that we have. And I'm pretty sure you have alot of the same types of wind. What happened was that the tape vibrates in the stronger winds and then the wires inside it break down at the holder thingies. Now, having said that, I've since learned (off an electric fence website) that you should put a few twists in the tape to reduce the vibration in the wind. Of course then it wouldn't look as pretty ...

I've gone back to using the good old yorange string stuff. I wouldn't use that as a primary fencing because it's hard to see, but it's just strung along the top of our white board fences so seems to do the trick. And so far it's survived the wind.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:11 am

Yes, I do get big winds up here constantly too......thanks for the heads up on the white stuff as that is what I was thinking of.......hhmmmmmmmmmmm :scratch: :study:
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 am

I too bought system fence's 4" wide tape, from a distance it looked like a nice top rail and made the place look great, but it couldnt handle the wind so I constantly have to go fix it where it's torn itself off and broken the holders. This year once the snow recedes enough for me to find my fence I'll be redoing it with poly wire or narrower tape, it's still visible, easier to install and my old stuff has lasted 6 years with very little work.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:39 am

I just read the catalogue for that 4 inch tape........at the bottom in little print it says......not recommended for extremely windy areas...............
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 am

I bet Barnmom could help you in that area.. I know she has electro braid and it's been up ten years with no problems and it looks clean and neat.. no maintenance other then tightening periodicaly .. easy to install for you posts can be up to 75' feet apart on a level area.. I'll see if I can get pics of her place .. the stuff is also strong and certainly won't be affected by wind or snow.. you can also get a cheaper braid that works just as well.. very similar product.. and should be at your local feed store.. or co op
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 am

sure would like to have a look at that........If I'm going to re do all the fencing and put in the new arena I want to do it right.........this will be the last time so I'd be looking for at least 10years out of it....after that it wont matter.,
Back to top Go down
barnmom

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey Joan!!
More than welcome to come take a look anytime.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 am

will be there with bells on when Carol and I come down for the windsor thing.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 am

Joan, also take time to design your gates and latches. We've had a heck of a time with our one paddock gate because of the ground heaving with our extreme temperature differential. It seemed that I'd just have the gate latch lined up and the damn thing would move again. Arggghhhhh .... I think I finally have the solution though. I found some gate latches in the Lee Valley catalogue that are self-adjusting.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=47817&cat=3,41399,48019 What we've done is put this latch on and use a hook and eye as a back-up safety latch plus some electric fence across the top. So far I've been pleased.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 am

that sounds pretty cool..........right now all my gates have chains that I can wrap around the posts and back to themselves.........metal gates. I'm going to keep them........they just might need a touch of paint, but they seem to last forever. but I do love Lee Valley stuff. :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Ooohhhh my first post :afro:

We have Electroplus Silver which is the knock off Electrobraid but seems to be the same product. It looks like this:

Re doing the fences Connector_1

There was another rope fence at the Coop that was cheaper and seemed lesser in quality when we bought ours so do your research before you buy. I have nothing but good things to say about our fence, I LOVE it. We used peeled wooden pickets spaced every 15' or so with 3 strands. Initially we started with the name brand insulators but ended up just using the regular ones from the Coop in the end and they worked great, I really don't recommend splurging on the name brands. Instead of nailing your insulators charge up your cordless drill and buy yourself some screws. Saves SO much time and the insulators are a lot more secure.

Its now 2 years old and just like brand new. Maintenance wise we tighten it up in the spring and bang in any loose pickets but thats it. So far so good. The horses respect it but we always keep the fencer turned on and Jason was obsessed with having the ground rod system setup properly. All it needs now is some fancy metal gates :geek: .
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:30 pm

The electroplus IS the same as Electrobraid I believe,... When I was doing research on it, I came across a court case, where (I think) one of the owners of electrobraid branched off on his own, and came up with electroplus, and electrobraid was suing because of the simularities..

In saying that, I am planning on cashing in on his business venture due to the price difference, and getting some electroplus myself. :)

Where did you buy your's BFHG?

Edited to add..in case it interests you:
Court case
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:41 pm

I think I remember someone telling me that before TC, maybe it was you.

I bought mine at the Coop in Amherst. They have different grades too, Bronze, Silver and Gold. The Silver is 1/4 inch thick, bronze is less and Gold is heavier.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 am

do you actually electrify all three strands or is one sufficient????
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Jason has all 3 strands electrified (he wants the horses hair to stand on end when they touch it :lol: j/k!) but I've heard of others only electrfying the top and bottom strands?
Back to top Go down
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:28 am

We're going to be redoing most if not all of the fencing here this year as well. As soon as the first lobster cheque comes in I'm going over to Nova Tree in Truro to buy a few pallets of fence posts - going to go with the pressure treated ones. I want this to be my last fencing project for quite a few years as well. I'm undecided between using 3 strands of electrobraid or 1 top strand of electrobraid and 2 strands of the high tensile wire. I've got at least 6 or 7 acres to do here (hoping for 10) which needs to be divided into 3 paddocks. I'm just not sure if I can afford to do it ALL in electrobraid.

I hope to get a stallion/mare & foal paddock built with posts and boards and possibly a board fence along the front facing the road too. Besides looking pretty it would keep the horses from getting to the road if they do escape.

For all of you with board paddocks how tall are your fence posts? 5 feet? Also how many boards do you have up (I'm thinking about going with 3) and how far apart are they spaced?
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 am

when I had board fences up......the posts were 7ft...2in the ground so yes 5ft....I started at the bottom board at the top of my rubber boot....then the measurement was the length of my hammer..........that probably is not specific enough, but thats how I did it...........how much for a pallet of pressure treated posts??????? oh yeah, and 3 boards
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Re Doing The Fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi,

I use Electrobraid and I love it. As my small treed lot was cleared it was so easy to move the fence into the newly cleared space because with electrobraid you only need posts every 50 feet or so--less work moving the line and less wood to rot. It is incredibly durable and IF you need to repair a section it takes only a few minutes. You may need to tighten it a bit each spring but that takes no time at all. I had four strands but reduced it to three which I feel is sufficient. The hardest part was getting the grounding rods driven into the ground and the initial set up of the wires but when you get to the point of just walking along and hooking the braid through the insulators you'll thank yourself. Just make sure your corner posts are nice and solid. Anyway, that's my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 4:13 pm

I agree with Littleroam.. electro braid is the bomb.. however you can buy the knock off brand now much cheaper and it's just as good.!!
Back to top Go down
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Joan, I can't remember the exact price....we looked into them last summer and ended up putting it off for a year. Don't quite me but I think they were around $2 each (when you buy a pallet) can't remember for sure how many were in a pallet either....sorry I'm not much help LOL :oops: Give Nova Tree a call though - they are great people to deal with!
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:18 pm

$2 each would be an excellent price. Coop charges 4.69 I believe by the bundle (100). I'm gonna need atleast that many to fence my front pasture and replace some old ones.

As far as electrobraid, do you find that it sags under heavy, wet snow? Posts 50ft apart is quite a distance. I've found with the knock-off stuff that it will sag to the ground under wet snow and that's with posts only 20 ft apart.
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi,

you're right--with our canadian winters 50 feet is a stretch--i'm going to add a few more posts this spring to my fence--maybe every 25 feet or something. they do drag under heavy snow, freezing rain, just a bit--i guess it's best to make sure they are good and tight before winter hits and not sagging in the first place--then you'll be fine. i have all my lines electrified but this winter i undid the lowest one as it was under the snow for quite a while. no big deal though.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 am

Just priced posts yesterday..

Shurgain
Small treated = 3.95 each
Large treated 4.95

ScotianGold
Small treated = 3.99 (Or less if you buy 10 or more)
Large treated = 4.75

Small untreated = 2.75
Large untreated = 3.95

Fencing:
Electroplus.(Same as electrobraid but cheaper cost)
1320 feet = $110.00 Bronze
1320 feet = $184.50 Silver (better wire)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re doing the fences   Re doing the fences Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re doing the fences
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: