Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

~TC~ need help explaining

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

~TC~  need help explaining Empty
PostSubject: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:49 am

TC would you be able to help explain the problem with shoeing navicular horses (ie. high heels, pads, etc) verses what one would do if they followed the barefoot method? I am trying to explain it, but I just have the person totally confused. I think I read a post on the old forum and it was really well done. I think it was by you.

Please help - thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks mypony for your suggestion.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am

Been meaning to answer...just lack of time to sit down and do it... :silent: ...
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 am

Will be pleased to read whatever you have time to write.
Back to top Go down
Going Postal

Going Postal

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 am

I don't know all the ins and outs and definitly can't explain the way TC can but I can tell you this.....

My incurably lame 5-year old navicular horse with genetically flat feet that could NEVER go barefoot is now completely sound and training for the upcoming MBRA season BAREFOOT. I can't explain it but compared to my other options this seemed like the way to go. My thoughts were if I start elevating the heels of a 5 year old then what are his tendons gonna look like in a couple of years and it was only a temporary fix. The vets said I could nerve block him but eventually nothing would work and his career would be over. Not an option!!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am

we need to post either Gundruns site orHuga Horse..........TC...what do you think
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:03 pm

ok...I might be able to start this...

Basically Navicular "Syndrome" is when they have no idea why the horse is sore, but it just is, in the HEEL or back of the foot area.

Navicular disease, is when this has gone on for too long, and the navicular bone now has actual damage. (bone loss)

Hereditary? no...
Man made? yes.

How?
Too start at the ground up for example, we have a foal... foals are born to be on the move, literally. (Their genetics as a prey animal, have no clue when they hit the ground that they have been domesticated and they have no need to run for their lives) the first few days and week is very important for movement...(on solid ground, not muddy or cushioned by a big bedded box stall)

The foal "dances on air" because it can, at this point in it's life because it's hooves are working properly... it is moving properly. (This should continue to "dance on air" for the life of the horse but that tends to go downhill as the horse grows, due to lack of opportunity to get all this movement.)

If the foal doesn't get this important movement (on solid ground) the back of the foot..(Digital cushion, lateral cartlidges, and frog) do not develop because of lack of proper stimulation.

The foal ages, becomes a 2 year old, with an already, lack of a developed foot. This same foot that has to hold the weight of an adult horse, is now not strong enough to do so. The back of the foot becomes tender, and the horse begins to land toe first to compensate...and so the vicious cycle, (although already begun) snowballs. (gone is the foal that "Dances on air"...)

Horse goes into training, not only made to carry weight of adult horse, but a rider as well. Horse comes up "sore/tender"...shoes may go on now, goes against any possible development, restricts the hoof growth..(horse is only 2 going on 3 remember, not even done growing and hoof is set in a "brace")..

Toe first landings start to wear on the navicular bone... not to mention damage to knees, hocks, shoulders, back etc..

next, the said horse, goes on joint drugs, injections, glucosamine etc...

still becomes more lame as horse ages...may only be 4 or 5 years old...!... Next come the wedge pads.. INCREASES toe first landings but makes horse "appear" better for a little while...(this is why it is never guaranteed) until those toe first landings create pain... more angled wedges... more toe first landings... etc etc...

what next? Cut the nerves? worse?

This does NOT have to happen with shoes..or wedge pads... lets get that straight.
But it usually does because that is what is recommended to keep us in the saddle.

A barefoot horse can get navicular too.
Why? STRONG hoof walls..that grow like pop cans..(your morgans, arabs, ponies are good examples)
The lack of development at the back of the hoof = sore heels = toe first landings, = worn toes/growing heels= more toe first landings = more strain on navicular bone/joints/back etc = joint drugs= damage to navicular bone = cut nerves? worse?

Hope this all makes sense...

I typed really fast! lol
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 am

This is a GREAT explanation...

Read it from beginning to end. Half the battle is actually understanding what is going on, when Navicular "issues" are occuring, and why.

(Studies show, that most horse put down due to Navicular "syndrome", did not have navicular damage at all... and could have been fixed. )
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks TC. As always you seem to be able to make the explanation easy to understand. I will also check out the link you provided. Thanks again. ☀
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 8:14 am

Did the article help at all? An easy read I find.

I personally would now try the remedy in that article, as appose to what is used a lot today...
Shown here...A clear case of lack of digital cushion, I would guess frog,(although we don't see the sole... ) and lateral cartilage..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqxVRtv5D0
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks TC the article was exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately, the horse the discussion has been surrounding has had the nerves cut years ago :affraid: :evil: ~TC~  need help explaining 393654 ~TC~  need help explaining 336163 Now the horse is showing lameness again and the treatment has been to inject something in the area. Nothing has helped (of course). Poor, poor horse :http://www.cli
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 7:48 am

oh...... bummer. :pale:

Not sure what could help now... I would assume if nerves were cut, bone damage had already been lost in the Navicular bone... even IF the horse were given the chance to develop the back of the foot, I don't know if it would come sound at this point... I wonder if there were any cases like that, that were successful.. :?:

Are they still trying to ride this horse? Or just make it comfortable?
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:49 am

Is it a Morgan???? Poor Morgan's, some of them have the worst feet ever :(
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 pm

No, not a Morgan. I find the opposite - most Morgans have great, strong, big feet. Not the ones that are trying to look like Saddlebreds, etc but that is another story.

TC - they were trying to get the horse rideable, hence the injections, but after 2 or 3 tries (eek!) the horse will be retired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ~TC~ need help explaining   ~TC~  need help explaining Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

~TC~ need help explaining
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Riding Horses :: Bonding With Your Horse - the natural horsemanship way-
Jump to: