Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

having an eye removed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tango

having an eye removed Empty
PostSubject: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

I don't think we're quite ready to make that drastic of a move yet, but was discussing it briefly with the vet when he was down to look after the gelding who had a lovely evening munching grain when he got loose. Anyway the little mare is completely blind in one eye. Despite our best efforts she is prone to scratching it, and it often looks a bit red and weepy. The vet said in cases like this the best course of treatment is eye removal. I am not too concerned with the looks (my daughter finds the thought disturbing though) but I am wondering if anyone who has had it done regrets it or other experience with it.
Back to top Go down
Deborah

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

I had to have my geldings' eye removed a year and a half ago when he was 28 1/2. To say I was terrified for his well being is an understatement! He had been blind in that eye for over a decade but the eye became unhealthy and painful and something had to be done. Most people recommended that I put him down due to his age but since he was otherwise healthy that was not an option. I have the most wonderful vet who assured me we would be able to do it in my barn with him standing up and sedated as PEI would not touch him due to his age. I didn't know what to expect but on the day of my boy stood loose in his stall with his gf in the next stall to keep him company, we sedated him as we would to do his teeth and he had several locals around the eye area. I had my arms wrapped around his neck the whole time - not to keep him from moving but to give him support and be close to him- and when I felt him flinch AT ALL we gave more locals. As I said he was unrestrained so he would not get nervous as he is a sensitive guy. After the eye was removed; with a total loss of only 60 cc of blood!!; he was wrapped up and back outside in his turnout within 30 minutes! It was amazing!! All my friends came by after work expecting the worst and were shocked at how he was doing. Aside from having his hay raised for 2 weeks there was no after care. On day 3 I was to take the bandages off but when I got to the barn in the morning my boy had removed them himself with no ill effect. The incision was not nasty looking and the socket was fully healed within 2 weeks. He can still blink if a fly lands on the 'eye' area and if it is itchy I gently rub the sunken hole with my knuckles. I have his eye in my freezer; as it is part of him; and you would be surprised how heavy it is!
If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask! Deborah
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you so much. It is something I will talk to my vet further about. She is only around 15 right now and I want her to be comfortable. She hopefully has alot of years left.
Back to top Go down
Salsasue

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 pm

I have a friend that had to have her pony's eye removed. The pony was about the same age as your horse and it never really bothered her. She competed with the MBRA for many years after her eye was removed. The vet ordered a rubber ball to place in her socket so the eye didn't cave in..

Good luck.

Salsasue
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:51 am

I had a big old appy, blind in one eye when he arrived.........it was sunken in and weeped but other than that did not afffect anything, then he went blind in the other eye.............but we still went everywhere trail riding etc......you just had to do a lot of voice commands and let him know where he was going and how high he had to climb.............but in the SHOW RING........he knew his footing was good and we did it all, barrels, poles, trail, doubles pleasure...........one eye, no eye..........they can still have a great life and give lots back........... :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
will

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Friends of mine had their Appy gelding's eye removed last spring. He injured it and it did just not respond to treatment. They sent him to the Vet College for the surgery. He was in hospital for two days, then released with miles of bandaging and strict instructions. He of course scratched off the bandages on day 5 after surgery - the stitches held so we decided not to rebandage. Kept him in a clean box stall and individual turnout for 3 weeks, then turned him back out with the herd. The eye healed fine - he is left with a furry socket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: having an eye removed   having an eye removed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

having an eye removed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: