Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

growing hooves

Go down 
+2
mountaincowgirl
Tango
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tango

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:16 am

My farrier has suggested I try feeding our gelding gelatin to stimulate hoof growth. He just won't grow a toe on his clubfoot. I had him on biotin most of last year and results weren't much. Any idea where I can buy it in bulk? Any other ideas on getting some foot growth? I have changed my setup so he is no longer stalled at night - and I want to contact someone regarding massage to help increase the circulation. Hopefully between keeping him moving, massage and supplements we can get that hoof in shape. I also have boots for him but not sure if I can leave them on for long periods?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:06 am

I have never heard of feeding gelatin to stimulate hoof growth. Hmmm... That's kinda interesting. My first thought would be to buy it at a "bulk barn". That's where I buy my flax seed for my horses. It's fairly cheap.
Back to top Go down
Tango

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:51 pm

If I recall from the olden days when I was still in school, actual gelatin is an animal byproduct. Specifically from the hoof... so I can see where it may help, but OTOH I find it a bit oh what's the right word - distasteful to feed it to a horse or just a little creepy? Anyway, at this point I'm about ready to try anything to get him to grow some hoof. I go back and forth on to shoe or not, but right now it isn't an issue as there is no toe to hold a shoe at all. Even clips wouldn't do the job. He is quite enjoying the massage and I've been stretching his leg and shoulder to try and loosen through there as with the club he travels short on that side.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Highlander

Highlander

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Tango,there is a hoof oil we use in Ireland called Cornucreasent,it moistures the hoof and promotes hoof growth.It is a great product and does work,you have to apply it mostly to the cornary band,it smells like liquorice.Don't know if you can get it over in Canada if not it might be worthwhile ordering it if you can.Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I've been feeding Dolly Farrier's Formula. It's too soon to say whether it works or not, and its $$$$...Bernadette, my local tack shop carries that lotion, so it can be found in Canada, in fact, the lady who owns the shop recommended it to me for Dolly. I've been using Fiske's, which is locally made, it has put the moisture back in her feet, which got quite dry becuase they were in the boots. The cavellos worked only until they fell apart. 2nd pair lasted 2 whole days....sorry to steal your thread, but I am not impressed!! Now I'm waiting to see if the company will refund my money - since they market them as boots for 1) therapy and /or turnout 2) gaited horses, they better!!
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 am

More movement will help feet grow, is your gelding on 24hr turnout? Perhaps the way his feet are trimmed is prohibiting proper growth?

Wow EM, I would be disappointed too, they aren't cheap.
Back to top Go down
Tango

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 am

I have recently rearranged so he is on 24 hr turn out. He was good all winter and at about six weeks post trim this spring started limping. I had been trying to file the heel a bit as the farrier had shown me but wasn't aggressive enough. Now it is two weeks post trim and he is not limping as bad, but the sole of his foot at the toe hits the ground. The hoof is dishy and needs some toe. I have the cavellos, and so far mine are lasting pretty good, but I don't use them for turn out. Our pasture slopes up and I keep myself awake imagining him tripping in them and head over tailing it down the hill.

I tried the barefoot trim but the person doing it was new to trimming and his club is fairly severe so to be on the safe side she suggested I try this other farrier. The farrier I have now came highly reccommended and I really like him.

I know that activity helps with circulation so I will saddle up and we'll just walk with a bit of trotting when he is sore and practice our neck reining etc, or some light lunge line work. Physically I don't think there is much more I can do which is why I am trying supplements.

I'll try and have a look for that hoof cream next time I'm to town.

Thanks everyone!!

We put the cavellos on our little app mare to see if they are the right size. What a laugh. She was walking like a gaited horse and giving us the most withering looks as we couldn't help but laugh at her. She has great feet, but it is rocky around here and I am thinking boots would be good for trail riding for her as well.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 am

I think I may have posted on this subject regarding your pony before...

I don't believe it is a case of the toe not growing 'Fast enough" or with enough material...
It is more that it is combination of the hoof wall buckling in the front due to force AND the fact that they land toe first and next to no heel landing at all, This causes the toe to wear at a much greater rate. It is probably infact, growing very rapidy, but the wear rate is just as quick... (The foot balances itself out that way...)

so feeding a hoof growth food (If their is such a thing) is just going to speed up everything, overgrowing the heel too...

This foot is different altogether, and until you can correct the reason for the clubbiness, it will always be clubby to some extent. Unfortunately... (imo)
Back to top Go down
Tango

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks TC. I know it is always going to be clubby. That is the frustrating part. He is landing heel first. The vet suggested putting a "channel" sort of thing through the toe - my farrier was going to ask him exactly what he meant - I will follow up on that, I had forgotten about it.

I can keep on top of the heel growth though.

I think the club is a result of injury when he was young. You can feel a ridge of scar tissue over that hoof, but who knows. The person who owned him as a yearling thought it was due to the malnutrition he suffered as a weanling prior to being shipped to N.B.

Just have to keep working away with it I guess. Hopefully we will get him to a balanced spot where he is consistantly comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 am

Research is stating that massage in conjunction with a proper trim can help to correct the club. The issue can often stem further up in the leg. Have you tried massage?
Back to top Go down
Tango

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:38 pm

I haven't yet, other than what I do, as well as stretching the leg. there does seem to be a bit of resistance when I ease it toward his belly (as if teaching him to bow) unlike when I stretch his leg forward he seems to like that. Everytime I think about finding someone to come in to give him massage any extra $$ I may have seems to disappear. I hope to have someone who does Reiki come and have a look at him.

I do think you have a point, even my farrier is trying to figure out a way to "flex" his foot - put something under the toe to force the heel down farther - if that makes sense - the muscles/tendons have all been shaped by the club. It would have to be something you could put on for a short period then remove gradually extending the time as the foot adjusts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

growing hooves Empty
PostSubject: Re: growing hooves   growing hooves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

growing hooves
Page 1 of 1