Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Get your measuring cups out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

Get your measuring cups out Empty
PostSubject: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 4:45 pm

When using hay stretch do stretch your hay supply how much do you feed? How many cups of hay stretch to equal one normal size flake of hay?

How much beet pulp do you feet your horses? I am thinking about starting mine on it just not really sure how to start. I am sure like everything you do it gradually. But how gradual do I need to go...Please keep measurements to cups and spoons please..I can't stand trying to convert ounces and lbs....lol...I call it measuring for dummies

I am presently feeding whole oats, flax and kelp 3 times daily to my girls..May increase it to four to help reduce any tummy issues

I don't want my horses standing infront of a round bale eating all day...we picked up net today to make slow hay feeders that we will place in different areas around their humble abode...I want to dispense hay stretch pellets in other areas as well as their treat station...Like most horses they would stay for treats all day, however treats will be limited by the day and it will be Boss in the treat areas...Suprise with the odd carrot and specail treat...i am super excited to build this area for my horses..But it will take time of course...
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Well you know you soak beet pulp one cup of pulp to two cups of water.. then once it's all puffed up you can feed it once or twice daily.. it really won't hurt to start with 2 cups with each feeding..
as far as hay stretch goes we feed it just as a treat.. so we don't measure it out.. just a handful now and then, alternate with homemade cookies and carrots. I don't give Gunnar apples.. I think they are to acidy for his belly.. and we feed equalizer with their grain twice a day.. I like to feed less grain and the equalizer makes up for what he doesn't get in just a bit of grain.. make sense..
Back to top Go down
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:47 pm

If just starting out with beet pulp you might want to try 1/2 cup mixed with 2 cups of water added to their regular ration. Some horses just don't like the taste/texture so try and wean them on to it slowly. I mix my beet pulp at a 1:4 ratio so I can get in as much water as possible - I let it soak overnight.
My guys (except Jake who gets more than double) get 1 cup beet pulp (soaked in 4 cups of water) mixed with 4 cups (1 litre) of oats each. They have 24/7 access to excellent quality roundbales so I only grain once a day. They are all easy keepers though and do quite fine on this ration. None of them have done any real work in 2 years - if they were being ridden I'd grain morning and night.
Back to top Go down
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks guys...

If you have to let it soak overnight how do you feed it to them warm...I am told by many how much their horses enjoy their warmed beet pulp mix...Would it soak properly and enough if boiling water was added to it in the morning...I know to let it PUFF (so to speak) before feeding...

If I can't do that I will just soak overnight and so be it

I must sound like a total beet pulp idiot...I just have never fed it before...What better place to get info on it then from other beet pulp users
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:34 pm

WE've always just mixed it up the night before in a 22 litre pail.. (5 gallons)
Beet Pulp
In the past 10 years, beet pulp, a by-product of the sugar beet industry, has gained popularity as a supplement for horses. It is a good source of fermentable fibre and is fairly high in calcium, with only moderate protein (8%) and no vitamin content. Beet pulp is available in its "raw" form, which looks somewhat like ground-up old shoe leather, or in pellets. Traditionally, the raw form is soaked in water for 1-12 hr before feeding; this can be a problem in hot, humid weather when the pulp can become rancid. It is a very common additive in "complete" concentrate feeds.

Up to 4.5 kg (10 lb) (dry weight) can be fed to the average adult horse but it should be supplemented with a balanced vitamin/mineral supplement and perhaps protein. Do not feed beet pulp as the sole source of nutrition.

Last edited by Wissy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:37 pm

read this CC and it should help with questions you might have..

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml
Back to top Go down
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:41 pm

That was a good read Wissy...thanks so much
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 pm

I fill half a 5 gallon bucket with BP and soak it for 20-30 minutes with the hottest water I can get from the tap and feed immediatly after and have yet to have any problems. It puffs up and fills the whole bucket. Its amazing how quickly it sucks up the water. Hot seems to absorb a lot faster then cold water.
Back to top Go down
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Thank you...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get your measuring cups out   Get your measuring cups out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Get your measuring cups out
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: