Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deworming Programs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

Deworming Programs Empty
PostSubject: Deworming Programs   Deworming Programs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:46 pm

I know it's been a topic before but would be nice to have the info on this forum too.

I've been helping out a friend (a first time horse owner) with her standardbred gelding. We wormed him Friday with Eqvalan Gold and she called me tonight to say that he is passing a couple worms. From what she described over the phone they sound like large strongyles ( 1/2 inch brownish colored worms - resembling earthworms - just not as thick). So far he's only passed 2 worms (that she found) and knowing her she's probably picked apart every poop nugget.

Honestly I've never seen a worm in my own horses' manure. I worm 3 times a year usually with Ivermectin or Moxidectin and once in the fall with Praziquantal for tapeworms. I watch their stalls for any signs of worms being passed but don't pick their manure apart piece by piece.

I've been told that you should worm a 2nd time (maybe 10-14 days after the initial treatment) to make sure you've got everything.

What do you all use to treat your own horses? If you do see worms do you treat with a 2nd dose? How often do you worm and with which brands? Do you rotate brands? How often do you rotate?

I'd like to get as much info as possible so I can pass it along to my friend.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Deworming Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deworming Programs   Deworming Programs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:58 pm

we worm four times a year.. April, July, Sept, Nov. in Sept we worm for tape with quest plus, used to use double dose of Strongid T .. In April and July we usually worm with Benzilmin and Nov with Eqvalan..

I haven't noticed any worms in my horse's manure, but my friend has in hers.. and wormed again.. with quest plus.. haven't seen any since then. We used to rotate, but not as much .. kind of stick to the same.. for now anyway.
Back to top Go down

Deworming Programs
Page 1 of 1