Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sand for ridign ring

Go down 
+4
Mocha-Chino
Ellie*Mae
withaTwist
mypony
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

Sand for ridign ring Empty
PostSubject: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm

My hubby is talking about building an outdoor riding ring this summer and my question for you is, is beach sand a good footing? We live close to the north shore of PEI and the harbour down the road was recently dredged. Now there is a huge pile of sand. From what I have been told they harbour authority is going to sell the sand. I was thinking if the price is right, then it should be ok for our riding ring.

Has anyone one used beach sand in there riding ring?

Maybe it might be the main component of the footing, but we can add something else to it too. We have access to several dump trucks and an excavators, so there are several pluses to the beach sand.

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm

i know the sand that gets pulled out of the run at the warf near my parents place is full of cadmium, which is toxic (?). so i likely wouldnt want horses in it? just something to think about.. im sure not all warfs are polluted.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:05 pm

I have heard that beach sand is too slippery and isn't safe because of that? Love to know though, cause I'd like to put it in my ring this summer, too...
Back to top Go down
Mocha-Chino

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I too have heard that beach sand is too slippery to use for riding rings.
There is another type of sand that you use for rings, but I just can not remember what its called.
Back to top Go down
Mocha-Chino

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:03 pm

check out this book on google

Horse stable and riding arena design
By Eileen Wheeler

talks about beach sand being round particles and not being stable enough for riding rings.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:56 pm

I've heard of beach sand being mixed with other footings, this would save costs on one hand and benefit the horse on the other. Mind I have never looked into any sort of footings, so this may be totally invalid.
Back to top Go down
The Moose Is Loose

The Moose Is Loose

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm

HI.. i have to get footing for my ring, and someone i know has a ring done with crusher dust and washed sand... dont know alot about washed sand but hope that will help you out.. im going to call a guy here in nova scotia that footing in for you.. his name is Al miller his number is 902-757-0264.. maybe you could call him for more info...
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:46 am

Beach sand is slippery because the grains are round in shape instead of other sands which have irregular shapes (sharper edges). This happens because beach sand is formed by the surf grinding up larger stones. The rolling action causes it to have round edges. Atleast that's what I remember reading at some point...
Back to top Go down
Paint-Lady

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:33 am

definitely dont go with beach sand! I tried it and its horrible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sand for ridign ring   Sand for ridign ring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sand for ridign ring
Page 1 of 1