Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Boarding Rant

Go down 
+2
threehorses
HHSES
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HHSES

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 am

I moved to NB with my one horse (had two horses at home, gave one away so I could at least keep one) and I am struggling to deal with my boarding options. I first boarded at one barn, but I had issues with the b/o and the only turnout my horse had was in an indoor arena away from all other horses (he never saw grass or sunlight and didn't shed out until June!) . I was able to find another barn to board at, but the turnout I had asked for, and the turnout my horse is receiving is drastically different. I had asked for 24h turnout, but they said they don't leave them out at night, so I was fine with all day. However, whenever I go, my horse is never turned out, only two or three of the 7 horses are turned out. Never mine. I have brought up this issue several times, but all have been ignored. (If you can't tell, I'm big on turnout!)
I had (what I thought) was an opportunity to rent a barn and field for the winter, but the gentleman has since renegged on his offer and it's no longer an option.
I know of a barn up north that I highly respect, but she's all full.
If I can't find a suitable option within the next month, I am seriously thinking of sending my horse back to Ontario for the winter to stay with a close friend. I am sooo sick of not having many options for boarding. Not just mentally sick, but it makes me feel nauseus as well.
I know I'm not the only person in this situation in my area and it is extremely frustrating.

Sigh, I just had to get that off my chest.

To all of you who have your own farm, be extremely thankful. I had horses at my own place for 6 years, and while there was lots of hard work and some complaining, it's nothing like the frustration and anxiety I'm experiencing now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hhsoundequinesolutions.com
threehorses

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Where are you located in NB? I know of a barn that accepts boarders that I could recommend if she isn't full as well~
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:42 pm

some of barns don't do 24/7 turn out because people have called the spca on them saying the horses were being negleted because they were out all the time.
So they have just given up with 24/7 turn out.
and some barns will not turn a horse out for two weeks after its arrived just to be safe.
I know one barn I worked at is very careful with turn out because some boarders would freak out with their horses being out if it was not a perfectly sunny day.
they would say turn it out then come freak out at the BO because it was raining a bit.
I know a few places that do turn out all day and are good with it. but I think they are all full.
Another place you can check out is Rick Macleod's place in Colpitts Settlement,
Back to top Go down
http://www.mountainsandranch.webs.com/
Wil-If-I-Want

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:49 pm

I would never board at a stable where my mare was stalled.

My horse lives outside 24/7 unless I want her in. In which, I go out buy my shavings, stock her up with hay & water, and then go out to clean the stall the next day. That is the agreement I have with my barn owner. I have a signed document stating my wishes and they are not to be broken (ie: no halter when turned out) IF they are broken, I will first discuss with my barn owner.. If they are broken again I will give notice. (depending on how serious the matter)

Turnout is something very important to me as an owner. my horse is happy, healthy, grows a lovely winter coat, and is an easy keeper. There is no reason for her to be inside as she has adequate shelter, and an electric fence that packs a HUGE punch.

The fact of the matter is that every stable is entitled to do what they want. In saying so an owner has the ability to pick and choose what works for them, and what won't. Not every stable is equipped, nor suitable for 24H turnout.. and some stable owners just aren't okay with the idea.

I've boarded my horse an hour in another province because I wasn't finding anything suitable closer. Once I did, I moved her and was quite content for 3 years there. I moved to Fredericton NB a year ago and after lots of looking I discovered a perfect little private stable 3 months after settling in.

Rather than send her to Ontario, you could always send out to my stable in Southern NB haha!

Back to top Go down
Tango

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 am

In or out - I am really struggling with that. Last night I would have liked to have everyone in! Windy, rain, cool. We have a run in but if the hay is outside they are outside - although I know they do go in at some point as they usually have shavings stuck to them. I have four horses and two stalls plus a 22X14 run in. Last winter the young pony and the old mare went in at night and the two geldings that get along wonderfully I'd feed in the run in. Not sure what I'll do this winter. When I had to put my gelding in for a couple days this summer to dry his thrushy foot out I put the mare in with him - she started coughing. I'd noticed it a bit last winter but it was much worse this summer. She is getting so lame though, even the farrier was surprised at how much worse she was in the eight weeks since he'd last been here. The vet looked at her, but really at her age, what can you do other than keep her as comfortable as possible. Anyway just rambling - I really try to do what is best for my horses but man letting them standing out in wind and rain all night just goes against my mommy streak of wanting everyone tucked in warm and safe at night. Maybe I'll get rainsheets for them all, at least then they wouldn't be soaked.
Back to top Go down
Flicka

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

This is where I LOVE having my horses home, they can come in and out when I or they want to. Most of the time it's when I want to as when they have their choice they come in, pee or poo and then go back outside. So I only open the barn in bad weather, and probably most of the winter and then even then they can come and go as they want but for a couple days/nights last year.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 am

Tango, I see where you are coming from. I too use to feel the same way until I boarded at a facility that enabled me to really understand that my horse doesn't think or feel things the way humans do. My instinc is to close her up in a stall with hay and water. Her instinct is to huddle up with her pasture mates, stick her bum to the wind, then run and play to warm herself up. Her coat is genetically designed to keep her insulated.

The horses where I board have access to the isle way in the barn. Sometimes they come in, other times they chose not to. I much prefer to let her decide what she's comfortable with, (because I can) Last winter a fellow boarder texted me a photo of my horse... standing beside the barn with half her face & body covered in wet snow. She and her girlfriends opted to stay outside rather than go inside.

The only time I stall Willow is in severe freezing rain, or severe thunderstorms. The stall is there for me to use... I just don't feel she "needs" to go in every night or in rain/snow/cold. The barns just as cold! lol
Back to top Go down
HHSES

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:16 pm

I just want to say, that I will never speak badly of someone calling the SPCA on somebody else. Most of the times it's usually the opposite. People not calling when they really should!
I had the SPCA called on me twice in Ontario. Once was because someone reported a dead horse in my field (a horse was sleeping laying down), and the other was a troubled youngster in the village who called the SPCA on everyone who had animals. Both times, the people came out, checked out my place, food and water, horses looked happy and healthy, we chatted a bit, and we went on our merry way.
If you are running your place to the best it can be, the SPCA should not be a worry to you.

@Wil-I feel very much the same way. Horsekeeping is made to seem like it's a lot harder than it really is. Once you provide the basics, good food, clean water, safe fencing and shelter, the horse will tell you what they want!! They (usually) know what's best!
I do agree with you that my human instincts kick in as well, and I want him all snuggly in 6" of shavings in a warm barn, but that is not condusive to healthy, natural keeping. I do agree that there are times where extra care is needed, extreme weather, sickness, old age, etc. but for the most part, horses are pretty self-sufficient and are tougher than we think!!!

I was just dissapointed that I wasn't able to find much in my area, but with the help of a few people, I think I have found what I'm looking for! Thanks! There are some great people here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hhsoundequinesolutions.com
Sponsored content

Boarding Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Rant   Boarding Rant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boarding Rant
Page 1 of 1