Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Found warning on another site...

Go down 
+13
naughty by nature
morgansRgreat
Total Eclipse
DesignedByDiesel
C4B's
Sailorgirl
Bay-Lee
missylou
Dun Tru
D-Cutch
just joan
lb-ranch
Loves Color
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Loves Color

Loves Color

Found warning on another site... Empty
PostSubject: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi all
I am not trying to engage in fear mongering but I recieved this e-mail from a friend and I think that it is too serious to ignore. I've removed personal info to protect the person's privacy. the pony in the e-mail lives in the Nova Scotia. I am not sure where the new horse they purchased came from but will try to find out. If I get any more info I will let you know. Please feel free to pass along to anyone you think would benefit. You may also get this same message on facebook as I am trying to ensure I get every horse person I know.

I am hoping that it turns out the be something non-contagious.

cheers.

I have some sad horse news and I’m only passing it on at this time because of the ramifications, which you should know.

XX lost one of her beautiful ponies on wed. He was hale and hearty at 3pm, down on the ground by 5:10pm and had to be euthanized the following morning at 11am.

From perfect to dead in less than 24 hours. Vet 1 was unavailable; at first XX thought it was colic and treated him with banadine, etc. Vet 2 arrived and he was shocked. In 35 years, he said he had never seen anything like it. Ataxia, convulsions, body temp dropped, tremors – they had to put him in the ring, as he kept crashing into walls and rails. They sat with him through the night, trying to keep him covered with blankets. It was awful. After he was put down, they departed for the Ag college in Truro immediately, with his body. An equine neurologist met them at the door with her gloves on. She told them that she was very worried indeed. They haven’t received conclusive news of what it is, but are leaning toward an uncommon form of rhino that is respiratory in nature. No vaccine for it. Now here’s the scary part – another horse died down the road from XX. And two more horses in Nova Scotia died. All horses much loved and well cared for. Vet 3 put one of them down and the remaining two were dead before the vets could get there. All with the same symptoms. One family thought that their horse had a stroke, as he was aged. One of the other horses was a fit, healthy 7 year old horse who was running around in his pasture at 10am and dead by midnight. The fourth horse was a saddle horse, recently purchased.

XX has been told by Vet 2 that she may lose all her horses. She and her husband had purchased a horse from poorly kept circumstances about 3 weeks ago. No way of knowing yet, but he could be a carrier. The people down the road from XX had gone to that same poorly kept barn (unbeknownst to one another). So that could be a connection. XX has closed her barn to any and all. She will not be out to any barn for a month.

Last edited by Loves Color on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I copied and pasted this from another forum. I do not know any of the people involved (other than the vets of course). Just thought if it was true that everyone should have the heads up.

I called a my vet (one of the vets involved) and all they could say is that nothing has been confirmed. They could not give me any more information because it would be against clinet/doctor confidentiality.

Last edited by Loves Color on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I read the "warning" on other boards too,
first- good reminder on how important quarantine time is when getting in new stock, no matter where it comes from. I quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks (horses coming from auctions or questionable locations may be seperated even longer) and we wash and disinfect our trailer after just about every trailer use and definatly after hauling in a new horse.
Second- it really should have had all personal names removed and just said that some horses in NS had been sick and died and some were recently purchased from various locations.
Hope it turns out to be just rumors :(
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

THIS SURE SOUNDS UGLY. It's certainly not something to take too lightly if you are in amongst folks that move around lots. Thanks for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:34 pm

We also quarentine new horses when they arrive...better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 8:45 pm

The finaly CNHP show is tomorrow - should we be going? Or should we stay home?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
missylou

PostSubject: horse deaths   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:57 am

my vet confirmed that there were 3 deaths in the area but none were believed to be related and that the autospy found nothing contageous so this is where this ends for me.... and I hope it puts others minds at ease as well
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 pm

your vet confirmed 3 deaths?????????????, that would scare the heck out of me..... I would have my place under lock down if we had 3 horses die in my area...
Back to top Go down
Sailorgirl

Sailorgirl

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Sad indeed. But Rhino would never do that. But West Nile virus would...which causes Equine Encephalitis...with the systems which were described in the death of the horse(s) above. I don't want to scare people either, but I'm wondering if anybody heard about something I heard on the American news yesterday: They have cases in Maine of horses dying of West Nile right now...caused by infected mosquitoes...not necessarily by horses transmitting to other horses, as horses do not usually survive long enough to pass it on. The vets not finding a cause for those horses death in NS here is troubling. Good news, if any, is that we have vaccines against West Nile which work very well. Hopefully it's just an isolated case of "something bizarre" that will not spread further. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :roll: Here's an article on Eastern Equine Encephalitis if anyone's interested:
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=14840
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:28 pm

The neurological form of EHV-1 causes paralytic disease in horses by infecting the horse’s central nervous system. Signs occur about 6 to 10 days after infection by the intranasal route. Neurological signs are generally of rapid onset and may or may not follow clinical respiratory disease. Horses may have mild to complete paralysis, stumble when walking, or may be down and unable to stand. A frequent sign is the inability to pass urine. Some horses will progress to coma and death, be euthanized because of secondary complications, or stabilize and recover.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:31 am

This is an e-mail i got this morning, this is sounding really scarey guys !!!!!!!!

I have some sad horse news and I’m only passing it on at this time because of the ramifications it could imply.

XX lost one of her beautiful ponies on wed. He was hale and hearty at 3pm, down on the ground by 5:10pm and had to be euthanized the following morning at 11am.

From perfect to dead in less than 24 hours. Rob was unavailable; at first XX thought it was colic and treated him with banadine, etc. vet) arrived and he was shocked. In 35 years, he said he had never seen anything like it. Ataxia, convulsions, body temp dropped, tremors – they had to put him in the ring, as he kept crashing into walls and rails. They sat with him through the night, trying to keep him covered with blankets. It was awful. After he was put down, they departed for the Ag college in Truro immediately, with his body. An equine neurologist met them at the door with her gloves on. She told them that she was very worried indeed. They haven’t received conclusive news of what it is, but are leaning toward an uncommon form of rhino that is respiratory in nature. No vaccine for it. Now here’s the scary part – another horse died down the road from XX. And two more horses died, one in Caledonia and one in West Caldedonia. All horses much loved and well cared for. Barry Falkenham put one of them down and the remaining two were dead before the vets could get there. All with the same symptoms. One family thought that their horse had a stroke, as he was aged. One of the other horses was a fit, healthy 7 year old draft horse who was running around in his pasture at 10am and dead by midnight. The fourth horse was a saddle horse, recently purchased from Roger McInnis.

XX has been told by that she may lose all her horses. She and her husband had purchased a horse from poorly kept circumstances about 3 weeks ago. No way of knowing yet, but he could be a carrier. The people down the road from XX had gone to that same poorly kept barn (unbeknownst to one another). So that could be a connection. XX has closed her barn to any and all. She will not be out to any barn for a month.

There is a show at the Caledonia Exhibition this weekend. Western I guess. If you know of anyone who might be attending, it might be wise to give them the info. I was worried that with horses coming going at cc place, it might be something to think about. Again, to bother you with this at this time. But I’m not visiting any barns for awhile, at least until I hear what the deal is. And I thought you’d want to know.

I removed all the names C4B JJ
Back to top Go down
missylou

PostSubject: is this not the same as the orginal post ?????   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:25 am

Is this not the orginal post ????? it has gone to every one via e=mail / kijji /facebook /etc

people we need to stop and wait to hear official news not continue to pass on he said she said

yes there was 3 horse that died but my vet contacted the vets in volved and stated that the three were not believed to be related and that the one autospy show nothing infecteous

there are people that know the true facts lets wait until they have somthing official to say

my thoughts and concerns got to the people that lost these horses and my heart breaks for them I think all this may becausing them more heartache than they already have so lets just wait and see

If there is somthing contageous your vet will contact YOU

and again my condolence to those who lost these horses
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Listened to this ALL weekend.
Not saying none of this happened because it could of but probably due to different causes to horses that may have been well loved and taken care of but were they fully vaccinated? They were not quarintined in the first place either.
Some people are saying it had something to do with the Caledonia Ex?? Not a clue.
People were refused with their horses at the Windsor Ex Saturday because they just got done at Caledona though.
But really, when you think about it. You should ALWAYS take pre-cautions at every event/show you go to. No matter if there is a "virus" going around. And really, we take that risk EVERY time we trailer our horses to a different place. You never know who doesn't vaccinate or what horse could be a possible carrier for a disease that can not be vaccinated against.
And whoever purchased this horse from that 'awful' place should have had a vet come in and done a pre-purchase exam.
Back to top Go down
Total Eclipse

Total Eclipse

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

CB4- That is the same post/e-mail that has been circulating around and I don't think there was any need to post the same message with names of people involved , unless you have permission by ALL involved.

I agree with DesignedByDiesel and misslou
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Not meaning to jump all over you CB4, but I would remove names and e-mails from your post. Not fair to those people to post that kind of information on a bb.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 pm

People get worked up easily lol but I too would not want horses coming from a place where there could be a possible outbreak of something to a show i was at. I vacinate my horse but that doesn't mean that it's always 100% effective. I'm sure the people at the windsor show thought long and hard about it before they refused those horses enterence it's a good precaution for everyone
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Quote :
people we need to stop and wait to hear official news not continue to pass on he said she said

yes there was 3 horse that died but my vet contacted the vets in volved and stated that the three were not believed to be related and that the one autospy show nothing infecteous

You said it yourself there. No official news has been issued publicly to date EITHER way so as far as I'm concerned being cautious and letting others know that something is going on is just being courteous to other horse owners.
Back to top Go down
missylou

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:21 am

I did say no offical news posted
and if you have actual fact from a Qualified person I'd love to hear it
but as of now I would Prefer to listen to a vet
who HAS spoke DIRECTLY to the PROFESSIONALS involved and issued this statement DIRECTLY to ME not more he said she said
if the orginal message came from a vet or some one directly involved or even spoke to the vet involved but as far as I can see, so far no vet or owner has come forward and raised these concerns them selves
the name of the vet involved is posted in the post has anyone who knows uses this vet called to confirm this ??????
or had their vet confirmed this information Like I did
and the few people Who I know have contacted thier own vets were told the same as me

so again my heart goes out to the people who saddly lost theses horses

and I hope some one directly involved makes a statement
so all of this can be resolved once and for all and stop the rampant speculation and gossip
Back to top Go down
missylou

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:33 am

also I believe the orginal horses involved never left thier barns so why paint the fair with this brush of fear mongering
cautious
yes but be realistic
everytime you take a horse off your property to a show, what ever, or introduce a new horse , you take the risk of exposing your horse to possible illness, and immunizations are only effective to somethings there are many other contageous horse illness that you can't immunize for and I know of immunized horses still comming down with the illness
but again call YOUR VET and then post what they have said
I'd be intersted in that
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:04 am

I just got off the phone with my vet (one of the vets involved), they told me at this point there is nothing conclusive. They could not discuss it any further due to client/doctor confidentiality.
Back to top Go down
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:13 am

Sorry guys, in the heat of the moment i did not realise it was a repeat e-mail and as it was not sent to me in cofidence i just put it on, but JJ has removed names for me, thanks JJ, don't want to upset any body, just a panicking ( what i'm good at hahahahahaha)

everey body just wants to do what's right and help others protect they're horses....... which is a good thing, it's no good hiding something and then trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

Ok got this from a friend off face book..
Which she sent the e-mail around to her friends and got this reply from one of them.. So I hope this eases some your your minds anyways..

[quote]
so a BUNCH of people already called their vets. The last pony to die had an autopsy at the AC, NOTHING CONTAGIOUS was found. The two other horses that died (early spring and mid summer) died from poor living conditions (one from tetenus). So, t...otally unrelated. Someone posted an add on KIJIJI with this HORRIBLE warning, scared the thistle out of me, so I called my vet,
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 8:13 pm

the info I got made it sound like all the horses died within the week what you just posted cj makes more sence.

I still think without any confirmed info either way that i would turn away horses from that area as a precaution I'm sure they got their entry fees back
Back to top Go down
oldsaddlebags

oldsaddlebags

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm

What CJ has posted is EXACTLY what has happened.

I showed my horse, along with other friends from various areas, the entire week of the Queens County Fair last week.

We heard about the rumour while there, but was told EXACTLY what CJ has posted.

We saw NO sick horses anywhere, NO snotty noses, NOT even a cough.

Our horses are healthy and ALIVE!!!!!

So, please stop all these rampant rumours.

I can only imagine how the owners of the THREE animals involed are feeling. No wonder they won't reply to anything posted. They probably don't want to get crucified. Can't blame them there.
Back to top Go down
missylou

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:29 pm

old saddle bags
THANKS
It about time that some one who was at the show said something
it was outrageous how the rumours escalated
sadly horses died but horse die all the time how this became what it did who knows but the orginal poster should be ashamed (if she is this persons friend and the vet did not speak to her directly she has no proof to her claims, of what the vet said.
and if she / he was that concerned they would have signed all the posts them selves and just left the names of the horse owners out as a respect) so he/she could be contacted to back up their story
if some one does not have the guts to sign the post then they must truly not believe in what they say either
and like you I feel saddened for the orginal horse owers that not only lost beloved pets but now have to see all the romours they had no control over
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found warning on another site...   Found warning on another site... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found warning on another site...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next