Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Here's my rant too...

Go down 
+2
MSFarm
mountaincowgirl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

Here's my rant too... Empty
PostSubject: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Okay for the sake of getting my buttercup blasted I'm going to open this up by saying I believe in responsible breeding. What I don't always believe is that only superior horses can be bred. Define superior... Anyway on another forum, I'm sure some of you know which one there was a discussion about Stallions.

Can I talk about this? Crap maybe I should have asked first and ranted later.... :36_22_14[1].gi Oh well done now here we go....

I don't think that one person breeding the mare that they own is going to be the down fall of the breed as we know it. Nor do I feel that I have to hold on to all the horses that I have ever owned my entire life because I cannot trust any other horse owner out there because in no way can they do a better job than I can in looking after my horses. OK... Gah! thistle happens... Sometimes in large amounts. Of course circumstances can change down the road and maybe just maybe you will have to get rid of the baby you raised in your "backyard."
It just irks me to no end to hear well you have a cute horse but not near cute enough to raise babies out of, because it's not exceptional and outstanding and able to better the breed blah blah... whatever. Backyard breeders drive the costs down, the market is flooded, etc.

I understand the majority concern I do. Insulting people over decisions that you have no right butting into in the first place drives me nuts. This person does not have to ask permission. You might not like the decision but it's not yours to make. I felt awful reading those posts.
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm

I have to agree.

When Sandy grows older I've allready planed on breeding her. as I love her and want to have a part of her always.
But she is not a pure breed or even reg
she is just a plain old backyard bred horse.
And I've got my eye on a stud already (if he is still around) he is a old type, reg pinto Quarter horse.
Sandy is going on 7 and has one filly on the ground already. The filly was a total mistake on the old owners part, but she turned out really good and went to a good home, where she will be made into a good horse. She looks JUST like Sandy, and I don't say that lightly, she is Sandy when Sandy was younger... and there is a reason for that...
But anyways. Sandy foaled her herself and did great. both were fine. she went around 7AM.

If someone is looking to keep a part of they horse even if its not a pure bred or reg, they should have the right to breed their horse (if they have the money, etc)

Now if you were planing on right out selling the foal, then yes you should have one that will be able to be pure and able to be reg.

Last edited by MSFarm on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.mountainsandranch.webs.com/
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:38 pm

MSFarm........what posts upset you????? what did I miss......I didnt see anything that would be upsetting on this forum...please fill me in so I can look into it...............if we are talking about Teekathepony, I didnt see anything to upset her.......she asked for honest opinions good or bad......and I didnt think anyone went over the limit.......am I missing something.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I just finished reading the posts that I think MC is talking about. (can we say the website? Most people on here are on there. it also is a well known local site for selling horses and other things.)

I think we all on here are able to talk about this as adults with well writen out posts and not be able to freak out about it and let it get out of hand. Well, truly I don't think that, I know that.

We all have different views and ideas. we should be able to voice them but not try to FORCE them on someone else just because they are younger or not as experienced.

Yes the market has lots of horses, some for really cheap.
So if you are looking to save money then sure just buy a foal.
but if you want to keep some of your mare and know a stallion you like and know would be a good match, you should be alowed to breed and not get brought down by people.
As long as you know that there are many risks with breeding. and that there is a lot of money that will be spent before the foal even comes out.

I do agree with partly
"The goal of breeding should always, ALWAYS be to better the breed."
When you are breeding to SELL then YES Breed something great!
But breeding to keep for yourself with plans on keeping as long as you possibly can, Breed 100% what you want, even if its not a pure bred or even reg.

Thats how I feel. Thats my point of view. I know others think differently. and I'm not looking to change anyones mind
I'm just stating what I feel and how I work when it comes to breeding.
Here's my rant too... 757770

Last edited by MSFarm on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:49 pm

shoot.........sorry I meant MCG..........MSF......brain fart. :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Another forum entirely, JJ.

I posted my thoughts on this back on my opinions thread. Basically, I'm with MSF.
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am

Sorry JJ it's not on this forum. I think that Teeka got great advice and I'm with her all the way in her decision. It's a wonderful way for her to preserve "Teeka" if you will and for her to grow/bond with another horse that she plans on keeping for her own personal animal.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am

thanks girls for keeping it good... you all rock...
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 am

Looks like we all agree Here's my rant too... 757770

I second what mountaincowgirl said,
Quote :
I think that Teeka got great advice and I'm with her all the way in her decision. It's a wonderful way for her to preserve "Teeka" if you will and for her to grow/bond with another horse that she plans on keeping for her own personal animal.

Its something that should not be done just on a wim. (which no one is doing) its something that you need to think about and plan for. Be able to set yourself up so you can do it right and be able to keep the foal afterward.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 am

It bothers me how on other forums people can be really rude when the subject of breeding comes up, but as harsh and rude as it is I can see their point.

I think about breeding a horse all the time, but I try to shut my feelings off and forget the thought because of comments I've read on forums! Sad, I know. The horse market is flooded with well trained horses at decent prices, so financially breeding isn't the best idea. My mare is mareish on the ground so I would be concerned that the foal would turn out like her. She's a great riding horse but her personality when she's free in the field is bitchy.

The idea of 'keeping a piece of your mare' is a bit fairy-talish. You have no idea how the baby will turn out and chances are it will look nothing like your mare so I don't think this is the best reason to breed personally. Just sayin'! I read on another forum quite often with people breeding top quality, expensive dressage mounts and sometimes they just don't jive with the animal they've bred. Horses are individuals and have their own personalities just like humans.

For me, the biggest reason why I would want to breed is because I want to start a horse from the beginning, the way I consider to be "the right way". I want a foal who was born outside, on 24hr turnout from the first minutes after birth, fed a natural diet, had its feet maintained from the first week it was born instead of the first 6 months to a year, etc. Bonding immediatly from the first few minutes would be nice too, if I would be lucky enough to have that happen.

These topics come up because of slaughter and horse abuse. Back yard breeders (like you and I) really are not the problem so much, so I think we, as people who care about our horses, should stop worrying so much. My neighbour raises horses for meat, his turnout has had a new baby or two in it every couple of days in the last two weeks. We see similar situations on kijiji. You have one mare that you plan on breeding and keeping the baby. I don't see anything wrong with that
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 1:24 pm

I have raised two babies from the ground up shall we say. Well one and am currently in the process of another. Both were not bred by myself. One mare came to me at 3 months of age, after being on a trailer for almost a week and was auctioned off. Her bloodlines are "good", her front feet are the shits and her muscle tone is exceptional. She will chase cattle and dog all day, run barrels quick but not really speedy and let me tie her to a tree and whip into Tim's when we ride down off the mountain. She is puppy dog with a bit of twit and that's a great combo for me.

This new baby is a Sabre baby, Doc's Prescription, bred to the hilt. Both parents are money earners etc. Speed and ranch work bred. . . She is flighty, tolerant however, and very quiet in the barn. She has a rearing habit that will soon come to an end and a need to be put to work. I can't keep the little weiner in a fence if my life depended on it but I would not go back on my decision to purchase her.

I like working with a colt. Like you say Barefoot, start them off the "right way" I know that any fault, temperamental flaw or bad habit my animals have came from my mistakes. In a really weird way I would rather them be because of something I did than something someone else did instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's my rant too...   Here's my rant too... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here's my rant too...
Page 1 of 1