Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hair Loss?

Go down 
+3
Barefoot_Horsegirl
Sooke
Fiere
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fiere

Fiere

Hair Loss? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 5:35 pm

I assumed diet issue. The ration balancer is working wonders for him and I notice a big difference in his coat with the flax. I was going to have the vet out to do a blood panel and I postponed it for two weeks to watch what the change in diet did, and since it helped, I canceled the vet. Not saying it is a diet issue with your fella, but worth a shot? Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Did you see a change in his personality Fiere, is he a bit less jumpy?, Flax is also great for keeping his plumbing lubricated.. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 10:43 pm

He is still a sour, hateful horse, sadly. But at least he isn't a bald sour, hateful horse! I saw no real personality change in the pony either, though he is a touch less spooky and more pushy. I think he is a might too comfortable, to be honest lol.

But man oh man, I guess it does keep them lubricated! The amount they poo now is unreal. Gone are the days where I could use one barrow to clean out both stalls. I am very lucky indeed if I only need 2 heaping ones!

Thanks for the tips, though Bay-Lee. They certainly helped!!

withatwist: Look into neck threadworms, see if he shows the signs. There is a huge (and I mean huge) and VERY informative topic on it on COTH. They say treatment is a double dose of ivermectin and a repeat two weeks later (though they recommend equimax, which is ivermectin and praziquantel). It is very interesting and very informative with many case studies shown throughout the thread, and I believe something that should be better known. Huge culprit for many 'normal' things we take for granted with horses.

There is no test for NTW (that I know of) since they live in the flesh of the horse, but the easiest and safest way to rule them out is to treat for them, with a double dose of straight ivermectin followed by the repeat two weeks later. Ivermectin can be dosed up to 60 times (or something crazy like that) the recommended dose without harm. Not that I am telling you to do it, mind, but it was suggested to me and I did it to T, though he suffered no change so clearly worms weren't his issue, intestinal or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:12 am

interesting thought. this horse has an increased susceptibility to worms i was told (if thats possible?), and a history of them. so you're saying two doses of ivermectin now, then 2 more in two weeks? i hope its on sale... lol.

we treated with straight ivermectin for the first signs of butt scratching, but that didnt help.

the hair loss is less "clean cut" as yours, and is more of a scaley, patchy business. one big patch on his hip, and one on each side of the tail. as i said, not helped by mtg. oh, and he's super dandruffy.

he's going to make me tear my own hair out soon.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:18 am

Read through a bit of the thread if you can and see if it matches up. Then if you want give two doses of ivermectin, and in two weeks, another two doses. I was warned that if they do have them, they may start itching like mad for a few days in response to the worms dying in the skin.

I found the whole thing very interesting, I've never heard of them in my life, and there are so many illnesses horse owners treat and treat and treat to no avail that are most likely caused by NTW. Once I started researching them I was blown away.
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:31 am

could you possibly send me a link?
im browsing their forum, and i keep getting distracted, lol. there's a lot of information!
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:13 am

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155469

Oh I am sorry, I thought I did send the link. LOL It would probably help now wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

debating on this method, went in to the AVC hospital and spoke to someone, and they said pinworms with ivermectin resistance.... yay.
so now i have to bring in a fecal! im so excited... not.

anyone know what the proper "etiquette" is for this? im doubting they want the full wheelbarrow, lol
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:07 pm

ps. sorry for highjacking your thread,

contemplating titles for a new one... awkward subject, lol
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 7:07 am

Any time I did a fecal we had the horse in the crossties until they pooped and just pulled a few turds from the top. That way you know they're fresh.

No worries about hi-jacking, it's all good!
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 7:09 am

its way cheaper for me to bring it to them... i guess thats what i get for living in the sticks.

anyone had to do this?
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Yup! It's pretty common place. You won't catch me paying my vet 150$ or more in travel fees to pick a turd off the ground!!!
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 7:56 am

haha, glad to hear someone else had the same thought!

ummm, feel kinda stupid now, i think i figured out my problem. despite my pony's history of worms/internal issues (hence the suspicion), i think the problem is external. i had the pleasure of travelling behind the trailer from the last clinic, and the little brat is a terror. he leans and kicks and rubs the ENTIRE TIME. now i know why he has a patch on his hip.

grrr... trailer shopping is way more costly than wormer. i guess i will be posting a wanted add.

thanks for the help anyway! will keep the double dosing trick in the momory stores :)
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 9:53 am

apparently you can double does ivermectin AND Pyrantel Pamoate, and most have a 20X safety dosage, or however you phrase that. but the ivermectin does not cover tapes (which he has a history of? if that means anything?)

went with the pyrantel pamoate as he had ivermectin as soon as he showed up for tail scratching, hoping its not just the stupid trailer.

avoiding the awkward arrival at the vet clinic with a sample for fecals. eek.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss?   Hair Loss? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hair Loss?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2