Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tiny scabs? Pimples?

Go down 
+6
mountaincowgirl
Tammy
Bay-Lee
Freva
Dun Tru
HHSES
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HHSES

Tiny scabs? Pimples? Empty
PostSubject: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 am

I've noticed on my horse that he has developed tiny little pimply scabs on his body. They are randomly placed, hip, belly, leg, neck....wherever. I can pick them off without him paying too much attention, but when they come off a little clump of hair comes too. They are very tiny, only about the diameter of a pencil eraser or less, and they seem to be yellowy-crusty.
Just wondering what this could be and if it's anything to be concerned about?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hhsoundequinesolutions.com
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 am

Sounds like a little bit of rain-rot to me. Could you get some pictures so we could get a better idea. Do the little scabs look like this:

Tiny scabs? Pimples? Tufts

If so then very likely rain rot, there are a few different ways to treat, but you want to first of start by getting out a shedding blade and getting off all of the possible scabs. One thing that i found worked great when I bougth a mare that had rain-rot REALLY bad was some MTG, I would apply it to the areas that were the worst and rub it in well, I'd apply every few days, this was in the summertime though, not sure if I would recommend doing that right now with the temps being so cold. If you have a bath stall with warm water it would be nice if you could bath your horse with a shampoo listed for treatment of Rain Rot, and if your horse is stalled at night then I would apply the MTG before bed :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:02 am

It sounds like rain rot. It is best to "gently" remove the tufts to allow the skin to heal underneath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:03 pm

If its rain rot, the horse should be in has much sun he can be.....Keep the area clean and dry....I was told never to use any kind of product that will keep the area moist ....He should be brushed alot, and very gently because it can hurt....Keep us updated
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 pm

When little Thunder had rain rot I used a solution of 50% listerine (the original kind) and 50% water. Worked like a charm.
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Also, if you are using a curry or soft brush to remove the scabs, DO NOT us that equipment on any other horses until you can properly disinfect it!

I like Listerine solution too. The yucky yellow kind. MTG is good for helping the hair grow back as well, but in your case it does not sound severe enough to worry about excess hair loss!
Back to top Go down
HHSES

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for the help guys.
I'll try and get some pics the next time I'm out, but yes Moody Blue, they do look like that a bit.

He's been in (he lives in an indoor arena) almost 24/7 since October, but he's been outside a few days here and there so I didn't think it would be rainrot.
He only has about 4 or 5, maybe a maximum 10 little spots here and there.
MTG was reccommended by someone else and I used it before (but forgot to see how those spots healed).

Thanks for the tips guys! Very helpful!
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 am

Could it be bots?
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 am

In his stall are there any leaks? It would be rather odd for him to get rain rot if he isn't well exposed to rain or dampness!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

And is he wearing a blanket or kept naked most of the time?
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Neck Threadworms? I have learned a great deal about these in the last little while, it is amazing the things they can present themselves as. Not to say every horse with rain rot or sweet itch has NTW, but they are a widespread and very little known problem (even vets don't mention them, despite 30 year old studies).
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Does it look a bit like this?
Tiny scabs? Pimples? DSCF4274
Tiny scabs? Pimples? DSCF4273

A couple of years ago, Shadow had this show up on his butt... It appeared to be rain rot, and I treated it with gobs of zincofax.. it cleared up in less than a week. I didn't pick off the scabs, only fluffed off the loose ones. Another item that works well on alot of things from thrush to cuts is Tea Tree Oil. I keep Zincofax, Bag Balm and Tea tree oil on hand all the time.
Back to top Go down
Jewels

Jewels

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 1:28 pm

It sounds like Rain Rot.. what you descirbed sounded like what Jewels had. I picked the scabs off and put iodine on it. When it started to heal and clear up I started using MTG to help the hair grow back.
Back to top Go down
HHSES

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am

Tiny scabs? Pimples? Img_1610
Tiny scabs? Pimples? Img_1611
Tiny scabs? Pimples? Img_1612

Here are some pics. The top one, you can just barely see it. The second, that was just a tiny scab that I picked off, and the 3rd was about as big as the scabs get.
He had 1 new one (or old missed one) last week. And he had about 3 new ones yesterday. They are mostly located on his lower hip, buttock area, and sometimes on his shoulder and chest.
He has free wandering of a large indoor arena just about all the time, he is only stalled in there when other people are working their horses in it. He has his blanket on about 50/50, although there was a cold snap a couple of weeks ago where he had it on for about 4-5 days straight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tiny scabs? Pimples?   Tiny scabs? Pimples? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tiny scabs? Pimples?
Page 1 of 1