Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Boarding - pros & cons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

Boarding - pros & cons Empty
PostSubject: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am

Well, I've been keeping my feelings deep down and trying not to think about them but there are some things that are bothering me...

In a boarding stable I require the following:

1 - A barn with stalls - for the just in case purpose.
2 - Cross ties
3 - A tack room - locker not necessary but a saddle rack & room for my totes is a must.
4 - Most important - turnout in safe paddock/fields
5 - A friendly environment with knowledgable people
6 - Water tubs must always be full and horse must be a good weight
7 - A barn owner who is flexible and meets any (reasonable) request of mine.
8 - Access to use hay (ie: If I want to throw a flake in when I'm brushing)
9 - An arena to ride in
10 - deworming schedules

At my present boarding stable (we've been there since Jan 2011) I let go of needing an arena so that I could have her here with me (I moved 3.5 hours away) The fields are cut now so I can ride in there and the trails are great... but there aren't many people who ride.

My main issue is that every place I have ever boarded (6) my barn owners were very animal/horse savvy. I used to sit on the swing at my old barn and just talk about illnesses, training methods, previous experiences... ect.. the things horsey people talk about at the barn!

At my present barn... my horse does not get any hay from late May and still isn't now.. She's on 24/7 turnout in a couple acres with 6 other horses. She's a good weight, she's got access to a running brook & the water tubs always full. This is the first time in Willow's life that she's been on "grass" only.... I worry about her foundering or colic and everything else but I seem to be the only one who worries about these sort of things.

The other night I kept her in due to severe thunderstrom watch (which we got NONE of by the way lol) and I went out and had to buy my own shavings... I filled up a hay bag and thought nothing of it but when I was chatting with the new boarder I found out that she's got to buy her hay from the BO (on top of board costs) until all the other horses start eating hay in September...

My BO is lovely. A kind hearted, caring individual with a love for every animal, big and small. However their 4 horses are not broke, they've never had riding lessons nor do they know terminology, training techniques, or symptoms or signs of certain sicknesses/lameness'. They randomly moved to Canada to be farmers and purchased their first horse as a weanling 4 years ago, then rescued a yearling and 1.5yr old last year and got an off the track Standardbred this summer. We've had issues with the horses being pushy - nipping - gate crashing but it seems to have subsided since there is so much room to roam now that the snow is gone.

My horse is happy... very, very happy. She can come and go as she pleases.. she's got 3 best friends who she's inseperable with (it is the first time I ever see her so balanced in a herd setting - she used to be very dominant) However "I" worry about things like the doorway of their access to the barn isn't wide nor tall enough, the concrete is slippery, if she colics or if something serious is happening will anyone notice? The BO leads them without halters and leads sometimes I worry that something is going to go wrong. But yet, I know she's loved & that she's enjoying her life as a horse out in a field with her friends.

I feel like a piece of "my" horseyness is missing - I am missing my in depth horsey conversations, advice, training tips, ect. Not that I am huge on training anymore but I miss the "talks" I'm used to paying $180.00 a month for board which includes free choice hay, grass & hay 24/7 in summer months, oats & boss provided 3X a week (my horse is an EASY keeper) an outdoor riding arena and miles & miles of trails & an a barn owner whose been there & seen it all.

I now pay $250.00 - no arena. No sawdust in barn (even if horse pees in isle way, it dries then it gets pressure washed eventually) - no grain provided (so I buy my own boss & accelorator plus ration balancer and I feed it myself) - No wise momma figure barn owner (I secretly thought of all my previous BO's as my 2nd cooler horse mom :) ) No been there done that person to pry information and horse wisdom... The barns clean, tack room tidy, hay loft full, gates functioning to perfection & wood work all prestine. No define deworming schedule although its been discussed (ie fecal counts - but nothing really happened about it) Where I used to board the BO would tell us what to buy and when we needed it for.

I realize that $250.00 is not a lot for this area of New Brunswick - I knew that I'd have to take an increase here. I just looking at websites and kijiji adds I see one that there are stables 250-300 that have indoor and/or outdoor sand footing riding rings & full service care. BUT the turnout aspect is missing in a lot of those.. and the rumours & gossip about stables in my area freak me right out.

This isn't to diss my BO at all.. as mentioned love them, love their cute little barn, turnout area & the scenery.
I just feel like something is missing on my end... The BO's concepts are "natural" but its not the same concept of natural a rider has in mind - It is almost like a horse free of any human mandate - free to roam & come in as pleases and not have to work for a human in any way at all. While I like my horse outside as much as possible (24/7 is best) a naturalish stable is thus required, but I do not let her walk all over me or disrespect, and don't see bits & all training methods cruel.

What do you/have you look for in a boarding stable. What are your requirement & what are some things you feel so strongly about that you'd never budge on?

Any advice on how to get my jive back? I was thinking that my friend and I could give each other lessons - just for fun & for motivation rather than just trail riding.

Sorry if I have bored you! Boarding - pros & cons 58398

Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:41 am

Quote :
My main issue is that every place I have ever boarded (6) my barn owners were very animal/horse savvy. I used to sit on the swing at my old barn and just talk about illnesses, training methods, previous experiences... ect.. the things horsey people talk about at the barn!

On the plus side, at least your barn owners are open to different ideas and not set in their ways. Horse people are very old fashioned and when someone is set in their ways or a know it all it can be hard to express how you want your horse cared for.

I'm always looking for places that offer natural care...they are hard...VERY hard to find.

Quote :
At my present barn... my horse does not get any hay from late May and still isn't now.. She's on 24/7 turnout in a couple acres with 6 other horses. She's a good weight, she's got access to a running brook & the water tubs always full. This is the first time in Willow's life that she's been on "grass" only.... I worry about her foundering or colic and everything else but I seem to be the only one who worries about these sort of things.
This I would not worry about at all. She's in work and at a good weight. If she starts to balloon and gain tons of weight, I would worry. You trim yourself (I think) so you must have a pretty good idea of how her feet are doing. If you notice heat, mild lameness, etc (all warning signs that something could be going on) then take her off the grass. If she's healthy, at a good weight and her feet look/feel good, don't worry! Listen to your horse. I feel that grass, and 'living foods' are really healthy for our horses. Once spring hits here (we're later then you, usually I stop feeding hay in June), my horses go out on grass and I don't feed hay until I absolutely have to, usually in October. All they get right now is grass, minerals and water.

Quote :
The other night I kept her in due to severe thunderstrom watch (which we got NONE of by the way lol) and I went out and had to buy my own shavings... I filled up a hay bag and thought nothing of it but when I was chatting with the new boarder I found out that she's got to buy her hay from the BO (on top of board costs) until all the other horses start eating hay in September...
This really has nothing to do with you and you should mind your own business, IMO. If the boarder has an issue, she should bring it up with the barn owner. Hopefully you have a boarding contract that outlines everything. I've had a few boarders in the past and between June-October there really isn't any hay on the property. It is outlined in my boarding contract that the horses are on grass June-September/October. So I guess if someone really wanted to give their horse hay they may have to buy it themselves (though, no one has wanted to).

Quote :
My BO is lovely. A kind hearted, caring individual with a love for every animal, big and small. However their 4 horses are not broke, they've never had riding lessons nor do they know terminology, training techniques, or symptoms or signs of certain sicknesses/lameness'. They randomly moved to Canada to be farmers and purchased their first horse as a weanling 4 years ago, then rescued a yearling and 1.5yr old last year and got an off the track Standardbred this summer. We've had issues with the horses being pushy - nipping - gate crashing but it seems to have subsided since there is so much room to roam now that the snow is gone.
I can sympathize with you on this. I run into this a lot and its frustrating when people don't expect respect from their horses. A lot of people I meet are jumping into horses later in life and learning as they go. I'm sure your BO really appreciates your knowledge! Some people just aren't interested in riding and I think that's fine. If they want to pay/house 10 horses as pets, that's up to them, as long as the horses are cared for. Maybe you can suggest hosting a clinic on ground work or natural horsemanship stuff for the boarders and barn owner? We are so lucky to have the Internet, can you email your barn owner some sites on various key things that every horse owner should know?

I don't think I could ever find a place to board that met all of my needs, but if I was boarding I would abolutely need 24hr turnout with a runin and free choice hay. This is pretty hard to find in my area and non negotiable for me. My horse would be crazy with no turnout. If I could find a place like you describe, and my horse was happy like you describe yours to be, I think I would be pretty hesitant to leave. Maybe you can convince the barn owner to build an outdoor areana, haha, and you guys can start hosting barn clinicis. That's what I would do. I def know what you mean about being lonely. I wish there was a bigger horse population in my area and then I would hold clinics or bring people in for lessons. Maybe you can try that too, bring an instructor in for lessons now that the field is cut? Start saving for a truck/trailer and go to clinics, lessons, etc. This is what I'm doing now. Then Jason and I will be free to do whatever we want, whenever. Personally, I think I would rather be in your situation then say a bitchy barn owner to deal with, gossipy bad boarders, minimal turnout, no grass, dangerous space/fences etc.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I do mind my own business and the other boarder doesn't have a problem, they do not turn out their horse out thus their boarding contract is much different than mine.. I was saying that if I wanted to feed hay I have to buy it from the BO is all.

I don't have a problem with the place, like I said its in a beautiful spot, friendly kind people, and Will's happy.. I don't come from show barns.. I've just been privaleged in boarding at natural facilities with open minded horse enthusiasts. My previous barn owner had 5 pasture ornament pets and didn't ride but she used to back in her day and was very knowledgable when I needed help.

There's talk of a round pen... that would be nice! I use online help (forums) but I like person to person conversations for motivation and support.

I'm keen on 24/7 with shelter.. and yes, I do her feet myself and have been for the past 4 years (equinextion style) my barn owner and all the other boarders (aside from the stalled horse) all use a barefoot trimmer who I am able to seek help when need be. I've just been talking to some people who can't believe that I allow my horse to stay no lush grass 24/7 and call me an iresponsible owner... But she's a-ok as mentioned above.

I've noticed that where I live there are not many places that have many places that offer 24/7 turnout, and turnout is something I'd never sacrafice.. Willow doesn't mind staying in she just nibble on her hay and chills out but that doesn't mean she prefers it over socialization.
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

I agree with Barefoot-Horsegirl, listen to your horse, if she is happy, calm, healthy and sound, then there is no need to change anything. Everyone has an idea of what you "should" feed, but if she isnt showing a need for it, why change? I have mine out 24/7, just on grass (tho its getting low), and I like that they have to forage and wander, vs. sticking their faces in a round bale and not moving around at all.

I understand your concerns about your BO's horse/health knowledge. Do they do night checks? Im sure they would notice if there was something seriously distressing a horse, even if they may not know the terms or treatment, most animal people tend to have that intuition or whatever you wanna call it.

I was considering going to school in Fredericton again, and looked at board rates. Yours seems pretty good to me. I found another barn at that price, with an indoor, but again, turn out issues, and i think you had to do all your feeding etc. and buy hay, straw/shavings, grain, etc.

Wow, all those paragraphs start with "I"

Maybe discuss your concerns with the BOs, and teach them some of the health basics? Or point them towards internet resources or forums - As B-H said, at least they arent closed mined,

IMHO - I'd choose open space and beautiful trails over an arena and gossip anyday :)
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

Where I used to ride the arena was small, but it was just a place to play around in when you didn't feel like venturing off on your own. I never rode alone at that farm but have at my present.

The barn owner reads a lot and learns a lot.. always open to new information. I do discuss everything and anything with them as it is a really friendly place as mentioned but a lot of newbies seem to not realize the potential hazards and dangers of working around horses until they experience it hands on even if you expain scenarios in detail. I'm not sure if they do night checks.. but someone is always on the property.

I think organizing little clinics at the farm would be very fun... I'm always game for anything that involves organized horse events. I'm not looking to leave - I'm looking for ways to fill "my" void as I'm well aware Willow is very, very happy and a GREAT weight.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Quote :
I've just been talking to some people who can't believe that I allow my horse to stay no lush grass 24/7 and call me an iresponsible owner...

Heaven forbid your horse eats grass all day, who ever heard of horses doing that?! I think you need to stop worrying about what other people think is the right and proper way and just keep doing right by Willow. :)

I personally *love* summer. Why? Because I don't need to buy hay! And saving myself 50 bales a month for at least 4 months is, like... euphoria. I also don't muck stalls. It's funny, most normal people do all their riding in the summer when the weather is nice... not me, as my horses essentially get turned out to pasture, the feral devils.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 7:56 am

I don't worry about what other people say so much as I don't know how the insides of a horse work.. ie: I've got nothing to back myself up with other than "every horse is different and Willow does fine" :) I actually told someone "well, I've had her for 6 years and she's still around." ha!

I think its great for horses to have turnout, and If I had a horse who couldn't consume that much pasture I'd have an anti grazing muzzle or something...

What I find is insaine is those people who have to "build their horses back muscles up".... It's like being healthy but bed ridden not by choice.. then only gettting your excercise during your physio sessions... Makes no sense! I'm not against stalling for short periods, I just think if the pasture is there, the fencing is safe... Its better for them to be out.. a little (or lot) or rain, mud, ect won't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:08 am

beleive me, i GET what you're saying about too much stalling.

I went nuts this winter, we had the horses in the backyard, so I could look after them, but my boyfriend's grandparents, who really mean well, insist a horse should be inside. They have drafts, in straight stalls, and I just feel bad, because if I was a horse staring at the same 3 walls? I would be crazy!!!

So many days I would go outside, throw the horses out, then find them back in the barn, then throw them out again.

Thankfully, where they are now, they only have a run-in.

I think you should trust your gut about what to feed willow. if she's an easy keeper, let her be easy to keep! no need spending extra money/time/driving/effort on buying grain/hay/feed for the sole reason of people/"experts" saying that a horse "needs" it. Now... before I start a big debate, I understand that in certain areas there may be a need to supplement (mine get Vit E & Selenium because im on PEI...) if it doesnt exist natually in the forage, and feed for hard keepers (I have 1 of 3, so they all get grain to keep the peace),

Just thank your lucky stars that she is happy and healthy on grass and limited feed :)

As to how the insides of a horse work? - I like to use the "evolution" approch - as I dont claim to be an expert (thats what school's for :) ). Horses in the wild existed, and exist today on forage alone. If you dont change their natural lifestyle too drastically, through strenuos exercise, competition, travel, etc., then why would they not be able to exist and thrive as pets/for light-moderate riding on forage?

again, just my opinion... dont know if it helps... i tend to ramble early in the morning... sorry....
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 am

Makes sense WithaTwist.

I had people freak out on other forums because I wasn't feeding Willow any supplements... and I felt like the vibe I was getting from their comments & private messages was that "any good horse owner knows this stuff, duh... poor Willow...."

Then I was told my previous barn owner was feeding her "too much hay" and that it was terrible for me to let her be so fat. But yet, some of the owners themselves are... how shall we say this? hmm, not following the Canadian Food Guidelines?

I went out and bought Equilizer (but I got the Shur Gain version - Accelorator Plus) which is a ration balancer... I've no idea how to read the feeding guidelines... and I couldn't seem to get answers from anyone... so I just feed 2cups 3 times a week mixed with a pinch of BOSS.

I think humans need to "control" prohibits them from seeing a horse in its entire entitiy. They do not have the same concepts, thinking, or needs as us. However, I'm a firm believer that horses adapt to what we decide for them thus a horse whose been stalled its whole life thinks that doing so is normal and in turn, it will take adjustment for them to be used to living outdoors...

Humans are the higher power in the horse/human relationship and I think it is in THE HORSES best interest for them to be what they are genetically designed for - social herd grazers.... Put in THE HUMANS NEED of "control" and all of a sudden they don't want the horse to have a scrape or bite from another horse... and then well maybe they should stay in because its too muddy out... and then my all time favortie excuse... "My horse gets her exercise when I work her.." wowww.. when is your horse's time to be a horse? Not only do they work their little toushe off for you in the ring, but then they are sent to their stall afterwards until the next time you come to work them.

Not gonna lie, I'm one of those horse owners who feels guitly about riding on really hot days, riding too often, and on occasions riding in general. I avoid doing maneovers or things that my horse doesn't like... And part of my favorite time spent with her is watching her interact with the herd.

So I got a big off topic.. its interesting! :)
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 am

I think we share similar philosophies/ideals. Why micromanage and make your life more expensive/complicated/hectic when animals have an amazing way of adapting on their own?

I've had an amazing opportunity of seeing horses change due to their environment/lifestyle - we adopted two stbds, as i may have mentioned... and one was actually racing near the 2:00 mark - just would come up sore through strenuous training. When we got him I was really intimidated, he was hot, pushy, and very.... race-horse like?
it was amazing to watch the trasformation... i loved just watching them learn to be horses.

Haha, i think i remember that forum... sometimes i feel that way, like maybe i should be doing something different, but after watching my horse that had been on pellets since i first met him sort his pellets to eat the oats we added, i thought maybe there was a reason.... now he's the fattest and shiniest i've ever seen him. I guess he knew better.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I feed my horses a ration balancer. I believe in the power of daily multi-vitamin and I know that our grass/hay does not give them everything they need and I do not feed my horse enough grain for him to get his daily recommended out of it. So, both get their RB, 2.25 cups a day.

If it was up to me, my boys would be out 24/7 all year. However due to my boarding situation it is only during the summer months that they are permitted to be out at night. So, during the rest of the year they are out at least 16 hours a day. And, my pony, whom has never been stalled not a single day in his 10 year life until I got him, now is a princess who shrieks to come in if he gets wet. Oh yes, if it rains, Blondie the 'natural' horse is standing at the gate, crying.

I believe in doing what is right by the horse, and the human. Horses are designed to move and graze and have high social interaction. I give my horses as much of that as is situationally possible. I don't blanket my pony, and 98% of the time I do not blanket my big guy, however he never grew a thick coat so during days of freezing rain with no sun he gets his cover-alls on. I feed my horses what is necessary to keep them in the condition I like, so T gets his no-sugar Fat and Fibre, his BOSS, his flax, his soy bean meal, ration balancer and his BP and hay cubes, the pony gets his BOSS, flax, and ration balancer. Will both of them keep on grass and RB? Yes, but T is a bit ribby and their coats and hooves are not of the quality they could be. Do I do things the horse doesn't like? Yup, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
Amigo is a shining example of why I do exactly what my horses don't like. If you decide to work with him, and he doesn't want to, he will spook. If that doesn't work, he will flip over. If that doesn't work, he will run away. If that doesn't work, he will become aggressive, dangerous, and you best keep your wits about you as it very quickly turns into a war for dominance, and it gets ugly. We have had all out dominance brawls 4 times, I have won each of them, and then from that moment on he did the thing I wanted him to do with no question. All this happened because he was raised in a happy home where he was loved and not asked to do anything he didn't like. He would act scared if he was asked to do anything, he got away with it every single time. Amigo is a very smart pony. Amigo is a spoiled rotten brat.

Anyways, back on topic: As a human, I have needs as well. I have a need to want to brush my horse, clip his bridle path, put sissy braids in his tail. I like to ride my horses, and ride in a specific way. My horses are to cater to these needs, as I cater to theirs. When I ride (or work) my big fella, he gets his extended knee boots on to support his fore legs and keep him from knocking his knees, he gets his skid boots on to protect his cellulitis scars, his hock gets warmed up to ensure it is supple and moving freely, his tack is immaculate to ensure it is comfortable, and his bit is the perfect one for him to ensure optimal comfort. Even when I am taking and asking for things he does not like, because I am human and I wish to use him for my own purposes, his care is most important to me. Even when I ask him for proper head carriage, it is in his best interest, I want him moving from the hind, collected and balanced, with his head low, this helps him use the muscles properly to carry my fat buttercup around.

My ideals are that in which my horses are trained and asked to do things far outside the realm of being a simple backyard mount, that they are not raised in love and friendship. I raise them as horses, I respect them and demand respect back, I have set rules and boundaries for them, I show them copious amounts of affection. I love them to pieces, and as much as a horse is able to reciprocate, T does. The pony... loves food. I want my horses to be healthy and happy and so I keep them as close as I can to how they are evolutionarily supposed to be kept, and I do extra to ensure they are in the best health. I also fulfill my needs as a horse owner. Not saying my way is the right way, but for me, it is the best way and the way that makes the most sense to me.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Mine come in the bunkhouse and watch T.V. and eat cookies........if I could teach them to sit on the couch, thats where they would be.........sorry, I realize this is NOT NORMAL for other folks, but it Works for me.......
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 12:48 pm

i think thats what we are both kind of getting at here. Horse care is often a trial and error situation, until you find what works for YOU and YOUR horse. That can also apply to training, uses, etc.

As will-if-i-want mentioned, her BOs have horses as pets (rescues i beleive?), which is their choice to do so. Yes, this could lead to respect and handling issues that others may not tolerate, but is their choice...Which also go with people who choose to have 24 stabling, and ride only in an arena.

Its all about balance.

Haha, if i could convince Angus to come hang out in my living room, I would, but he just rolls his eyes at me when I seem to be spending too much time with him.... the other two however, would take over the place, and devour anything they could get their teeth on :P

I love that visual, thanks! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 12:58 pm

LOL we wouldn't have it any other way, Joan. I wish mine could do that as well.

As it stands mine not only like cookies but will try to stomp you to death over ham sandwiches on rye bread.

And that is exactly it, Twist. Mine currently are ridden just about never. I really don't have the time, so much of my time spent with them is watching them be horses and giving them scritches. This time last year it was much, much different, and while I am reeling from not being able to ride, I'm sure my boys are quite happy being feral with Mommy not being demanding and making them stand still and carry her around and come in the barn and what ever other nonsense I put them through lol. However, my big T is happiest with a job to do, so it kinda makes me feel like crap that I can't work him as he and I like.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Hahaha I can just imagine that Joan... Mine loves beer, coffee, chips, and gold fish crackers she and I would have a great time hanging out watching tv - minues the mess she'd make :P

I guess I should have clarified when I say that I don't do things she doesn't like.. I mean within reason. My horse does not like her head touched... a lot of peoples first instinct is to rub a horses face.. or reach over the fence and do so... My girl hates it. She likes a good forehead rub once in a while but she isn't keen on having her muzzle touched... so I just don't bother.. She doesn't shy away she just moved her head away... she also likes to walk forward, then back when I am tightening her cinch in the cross ties (no ear pinning and she's not saucy! she just walks 2 steps up, two steps back).. I tried for years and finally realized that its just easier (and quicker) to let her move.

There are times when she does what "I" want but I have her best intentions at heart.

She's a backyard pop on and go horse now. Although when she makes an error I use my ring training techniques for correction. I think we have a great balance, we can jump a little field course, take a clinic without looking like complete fools, go in parades, or hit the trails. She makes me happy, and in turn I think that I provide a lovely life for her.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Sounds like you do Wil...........
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:56 pm

I wasn't saying anything about you letting Willow walk on you or anything, lol! Just when you said 'I don't do things she doesn't like' I thought, 'UGH. Amigo! The bane of my existence'. With him, if he didn't stand for girthing and you didn't correct him, the next time you girthed him, he'd run, full tilt, and be gone. He is too darn sly. Spoiled. Rotten. Brat.

I know what you mean, though. T doesn't like bit or leg pressure, so I have changed my style of riding him to compensate for that (mostly it's because I don't feel like getting dumped, lol). But I ride with a crop or an over-under to compensate for the leg pressure I do not use, as while I have learned too much pressure will get me bucked off, T has learned that not enough pressure he can pretend to ignore. It is just easier and less stressful on the both of us if I rode him like he needs to be riding instead of riding him like I was taught to ride. We are a complicated pair, him and I. I sometimes wish he wasn't so, but I love his just the way he is (minus the bolting, that I could do without).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boarding - pros & cons   Boarding - pros & cons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boarding - pros & cons
Page 1 of 1