Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hoof talk - club foot

Go down 
+5
TripleCRanch
munchmom
just joan
Barefoot_Horsegirl
Tango
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TripleCRanch

hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

How is the boy today! :horse32.gif:
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 pm

lol, hard to say. I had to put the old mare in yesterday - she was standing at the gate when I came over and as soon as she saw me the front legs starts waving around (she doesn't paw exactly, but does that when waiting for feed or wants something sort of waves a front leg around) and if she could talk I swear she'd have said - enough of this crap (she is very polite and would never use bad language) put me in. So I did and put the pony in to keep her company since he rarely makes it into the run in and the weather was miserable. Sooooo when I put them back out with the boys this morning, the boys all went on a big running, bucking rearing run around the pasture. The mare just hides behind me and waits for them to settle down. And from what I could see he looked really good. I will bring him down when I'm done work and lunge a bit and have a look at the foot and let you know. He certainly looked to be feeling good. Thanks for asking.

Oh and Ridge - yay. Hope things keep going well.
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 3:33 pm

I'd say he is about the same today. I shaved the bars a bit more. I think he is landing more heel first, and seems to be weighting the heel a bit more. I'll try and video a bit tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Sweet! Looking forward to the pictures! Did you rasp/bevel that toe area? If you do it at a 45 degree angle? Your going to start to establish a breakover point. Which is good!
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Battery died when I tried to get some pics today.

I don't see any improvement, actually he seems slightly more sore. I could notice a bit of a limp even after I put the boots on and that usually helps.

Thanks though. I'm going to talk to my farrier about taking a more active role in maintaining that foot between his visits and what he would do with x-rays.
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Go to your newest pictures and look at the 3rd picture down.. Tell me what you see.

Your not going to see improvement over night I am afraid.

How many weeks ago was your farrier at your place? He needs to see this horse every 4 to 5 weeks...not 6-8 weeks
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:16 pm

One side much longer than the other, although I think I have that fixed....

He was here six weeks ago this Thurs. It would be nice to have him more often but I don't think that will happen. I hope to have him come if not next week the week after.

Oh I know improvement is slow, just surprised to see him a bit worse - but he may just have bruised it a bit when they went on their big run the other morning.
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 pm

How is he now..any new pictures?
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks for asking :-). Haven't had a chance to get new pics. Went out yesterday and noticed he was really off. Thanks to all you smart ladies I realized he was toe first landing on his good foot. Didn't take much squeezing the heel to find out he was very sore. Soaked with Epsom salts and this morning can see where an abscess ruptured. He looks more comfortable this morning and I soaked it for a little while again. Honestly I am ready to just retire this boy lol. I have two lame horses and two sound horses and three riders. This isn't adding up. I just can't justify two pasture pets. Although with how sore I am from playing in the parent vs student soccer game Monday maybe I'm ready to be retired too lol!
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 am

New pics. Haven't had a chance this morning to work him but he looked good going up the pasture. I tried to bevel.

hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Img_0411

hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Img_0412

hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Img_0413
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am

Tango, I def see improvement..

That is good to hear about him feeling better this morning.

I sent you a PM..and I will be back later with pictures.

Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks :-) I got the pm and will see what I can do. So how did you learn all this stuff - between you and Barefoot there is alot of good foot info.
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:53 am

How is progress with getting some x rays done.

I need to know where the bone is lying. If WE do the wrong thing. We will instantly make him sore.
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm going pretty conservative, so I don't think I have made it worse. I'm just going to gently continue to file the high side, I'm not comfortable going with the knife till I see the farrier. I scraped a little bit along that side, but I'm pretty sure it didn't do much. He looks good at a walk and not bad at a trot.

No progress with x-rays.

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I am going to be honestly blunt.

You need x rays before you do anything further...the next trim has to be a goal setting trim.

Your Farrier and Vet have to work together, get your vet to do xrays, they do have a portable machine that they can take with them. Just call ahead ask them their cost etc etc..

I don't feel that the seriousness inside this hoof is being acknowledged.

Your horses hoof is pretty much a Grade 3 Club..which is not good..But it CAN be treated... :bigsmiley.png:

The previous owner, did they use the same farrier as you?

Please read this..
http://www.nanric.com/Howtotreatclubfeet.asp

Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Farrier was here today, trimmed the frog a fair bit as it was oozing once he scraped a bit off it. Start of another thrush infection. I'll try and get pics later. He trimmed the bars and widened out the grooves, I think what Barefoot had recommended. I showed him where I had beveled etc. and he was happy with that and thinks I am fine to carry on.

My daughters pony doesn't have thick hoof walls and he thinks boots may be the way to go for him if she is doing much trail riding.

I am hoping to arrange to have the x-rays done after Christmas and hopefully get him in riding shape by spring.

Thanks again everyone
Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:57 am

I would like to see pictures of all hooves if you wouldn't mind. 2 pictures of each hoof..and a picture of the whole horse :-)

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Tango, I sent you a pm with drawings :bigsmiley.png:
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 am

A big thank you to you ladies who have taken time to help me. I am slowly accumulating all the ingredients to hopefully keep thrush at bay, and trying to get a better shape to the hoof. Last two Sundays we've gone on lovely trail rides. No limping :council.gif:

This is the best he's been in a long time.

THANK YOU.

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I have used straight Apple Cider Vinager before to help with thrush. I pretty much just soaked the bottom 1 inch of the affected hoof in it for 2 or 3 mins. Dried it real good and away I went.

But glad to hear that he is doing better! Please keep me updated with pictures!

I am sorry I haven't been on..been busy with kids and I had my brother come visit for awhile from PEI! So was excited to have him here!
Back to top Go down
realalvin1

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:08 am

I wanna choose booyts for my little boy for showing. I don’t know which brand is better. Who can help me? Are Weatherbeeta boots better or Harrison Howard boots? Or any other suggestions? Are the Horseware boots ok? I just wanna a good-looking one and durable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hoof talk - club foot   hoof talk - club foot - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hoof talk - club foot
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2