Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Farm Focus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 am

I was quickly browsing the Farm Focus this AM - only made it through the first couple pages before I had to head out for work but there was an article in there about a calf that swam across the Hillsborough River...

I know many of your aren't really familiar with where I live but we can see the Hillsborough River from our place and it is has a fairly good current around where we are most of the time - cruise ships and the oil tanker from the mainland come up the river to dock in Charlottetown.

This little calf, from the pictures I'd put him at around 400-500lbs (max) swam the river and ended up at the Irving Station on the other side... silly little calf.

He would have been out over his head nearly the whole time as the water drops away quite quickly and I don't think he was weaned so he left Mama to head to town...
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 am

haha, maybe momma's milk was getting old or running out so he decided to go pick up fresh stuff at the Irving!!! :P
Back to top Go down
mypony

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:41 am

Someone was telling me about that. I guess the farmer watched as the calf run into the water and started to swim away. There was nothing he could do. He watched the calf until it disappeared. He thought that it had drowned.

It is pretty amazing that the little fellow survived. The current is really strong and people have drowned trying to swim across.
Back to top Go down
SnapHappyHillbilly

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:00 am

I heard that cows could swim quite well.. just the same as horses... but a young calf swimming that distance is pretty crazy... haha We have a pond and had one jump in once but they got out just as fast as they went in and weren't very happy about it. Crazy story. I wish we still got the farm focus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scuffedboots.ca
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:03 am

Its crazy the things animals are capable of doing when their life is on the line. I wonder what made him jump in the water in the first place?

I live just outside of Sackville and I've heard a couple stories of moose swimming from the Rockport, NB side across to Joggins, NS. I think its the Bay of Chignecto???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Farm Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Focus   Farm Focus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Farm Focus
Page 1 of 1