Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feed Question

Go down 
+4
Barefoot_Horsegirl
SexyDexy
rude
SnapHappyHillbilly
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SnapHappyHillbilly

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 10:54 pm

So I'd like to get my older gelding started on supplements to help him through the winter.

I'd like to start him on MSM again for his arthritis and BOSS for weight gain. However, I don't really want to start feeding grain..... is there a way you can do this??

He has arthritis, heaves and weight problems. If anyone has any advice that'd be great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scuffedboots.ca
rude

rude

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:19 am

you could add flax to his diet...
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:49 am

I would mix the BOSS and supplements with some beet pulp. If anything, I only feed a bit of oats in the winter and like to mix it with some warm beet pulp. Looks more appealing than just plain, dry oats to me. They seem to love it too.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Try and get molasses free beet pulp, I'm pretty sure the feed store should be able to order it in for you. How old is Bill now? You can also use some straight Alfalfa cubes, but just watch his feet for sensitivities Flax. Straight oil (1 cup/day)added to Alfalfa or Alfalfa/Timothy cubes. Stabalized rice bran is a good source of fat but its a bit more pricey (a little goes a long way).
Back to top Go down
SnapHappyHillbilly

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Bill's 17. He seems fine eating his hay, he just needs the extra poundage and I really want to try the MSM for his arthritis. I may try the beet pulp. Thanks guys. :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.scuffedboots.ca
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Why not a senior feed? Worthy gets 4 cups a day, and 1 cup Equilizer + pasture, no hay yet....it is really plumping him up for winter :-)
Feed Question Aug92009046_edited
Back to top Go down
Tango

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 am

I will be bringing a SB mare here later this month. She seems too thin with winter coming. BOSS will help put weight on? I am going to put her on the MSM as well. I read this thread but am still a bit confused on amounts. She is a big girl 15-16hh. She looks alot like Worthy but thinner. I know SB are bony compared to my fat QH, but I just want to keep her in the best condition possible. How many times a day do you feed? Right now I just give the QH a handful of sweet feed to put his biotin in. Shur gain doesn't seem to sell an equivalent to Equilizer. Is there a dealer in Fredericton?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Tango

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 am

Sorry forgot to add she is about 20.
Back to top Go down
Total Eclipse

Total Eclipse

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:11 pm

I second "Straight oil (1 cup/day)added to Alfalfa or Alfalfa/Timothy cubes"
Oil def puts the weight on.
Hay pellets or hay cubes ( these cubes can be soaked in HOT water for 10 mins if you worry about choke.)
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi there,

How are you making out with your horse?

I believe alfalfa cubes can do wonders for a horse...but be careful of them as they are so dry and some horses might have a hard time breaking them up (especially an older horse who doesn't chew as well). You can soak them to for a bit...its amazing how they puff up. CORN oil works well. Beet pulp (soaked of course)...great stuff! AND, let's not forget the wonderful GROUND FLAX!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you about amounts as I am no expert and i feed my older gelding (who i would call a hard keeper) a combination of Hi Fat Hi Fiber, Sweet Feed, Crimped Oats, ground flax, corn oil, apple cider vinegar, and Pur A Yeast Plus, beet pulp plus lots of hay.

I guess if you don't want to feed your horse lots of grain (and I don't blame you)...then maybe feed the alfalfa chunks, flax, a supplement of some kind, corn oil.

Remember, Apple Cider Vinegar (pure) has many many health benefits for horses (and people)...so 1/4 cup once a day for a healthy horse might do wonders also.

Let us know how you manage! : )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feed Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed Question   Feed Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feed Question
Page 1 of 1