Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barefoot trim and laminitis

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

Barefoot trim and laminitis Empty
PostSubject: Barefoot trim and laminitis   Barefoot trim and laminitis Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Interesting item in September's Horse and Rider

Auburn University is using Pete Ramey to do barefoot trims on horses with chronic laminitis to see how their hooves respond to natural care. He will do the trimming over six to seven months to see if this approach can reverse symptoms of the disease and increase soundness.

Looking forward to the results. Hopefully, this will further barefoot trimming in mainstream thinking.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot trim and laminitis   Barefoot trim and laminitis Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:52 am

That's good news!

I am not 100% sure, but I belive He has reversed all but one that he as worked on. The one he didn't reverse died suddenly due to a metabolic stress overload... (He was a young stallion, fed free choice Sweet feed, and by the time he brought him to a place he could work on him, his whole body was pretty messed up due to the diet. He got overly excited seeing some mares in the next pasture and died of a heart attack... Don't quote me on all that, but I think that is somewhat how the story went... )

Quote :
Looking forward to the results. Hopefully, this will further barefoot trimming in mainstream thinking.

I agree. Personally, it would be nice to at least see that if a horse comes up sore, or is not traveling properly, the hoof will be looked at more closely, and the remedy won't be something attached to the hoof on a permanent basis... (24/7 up to 8 weeks at a time).. I would like to see altertatives to that used more. Also, the diet looked at, the environment... etc.

Here is the info on it...:
In PDF:
http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/support-files/auburn-case-work.pdf

http://www.hoofrehab.com/AuburnUvetschool.htm

They have also come up with a hoof rehabilitation protocol. So depending on the problem, these are the recommended steps to be taken...

http://www.hoofrehab.com/HoofRehabilitationProtocol.pdf

It is all great news...
Back to top Go down
morgansRgreat

morgansRgreat

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot trim and laminitis   Barefoot trim and laminitis Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks TC for the links. Very informative and hopeful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot trim and laminitis   Barefoot trim and laminitis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barefoot trim and laminitis
Page 1 of 1