Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Oakie Dokie

Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds??? Empty
PostSubject: Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???   Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds??? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 am

My horse had a bit of a runny nose and coughing a bit....I had him on penicillien this spring for the same thing...I am wondering if he may kick this cold on his own or if he is going to need meds again?? He has no yellow mucous or anything YET....I board at a stable with about 32 horses and about 5 are coughing...When I noticed the first one coughing ( which is now on meds) I said my horse is next...I was right! My horse is only 18 months old and maybe he is still trying to get ammune to the virus's going around...There is another yearling close in age to my guy which is also coughing.....

What I am trying to say is Do you think it is age?? Or because of a bigger boarding facility that more things go around????? I think it is a bit of both

Or is there anyone on this site that Can suggest maybe a supplement that he can have daily to help him build up his immune system...Somone that has a lot of horses or goes through the same thing running a breeding or boarding facility.....

Or is it the time of year for horsey colds???? :36_33_11[1].gi I love this icon it is so cute!! I had to add it....
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???   Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds??? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 9:52 am

I wouldn't give your horse any meds... sounds like a virus and not an infection so I think your horse will beat it on his own.

We have viruses pass through our place the odd time due to horses going in and out and those that have a bit of age or have been with us for awhile don't usually seem to get anything or they get a much tamer version. In my opinion age and exposure play a huge factor.

I think you're liable to see more "ailments" when you increase your number of horses and yours and your horse's exposure level.

I do think time of year plays a factor as well - just like people tend to get more colds in the fall and winter... seems to be the same for horses.

Kind of an aside about avoiding illness...sheep owners frequently run closed flocks to avoid contracting illness - I've been to farms where I had to wear freezer bags on my boots and a type of poncho because we own sheep and they were worried I might bring something in off my clothes/boots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Oakie Dokie

PostSubject: Re: Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???   Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:28 am

My horse is feeling better now! His cough and runny nose is gone with no meds...So I am glad that it cleared up on it's own....There hasen't been any coughing out of the others in a few days either....So only one horse needed meds for infection....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???   Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it the time of year for for horses and Colds???
Page 1 of 1