Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

dandruff problem.. suggestions?

Go down 
+2
~TC~
RedBaronBPeppy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

dandruff problem.. suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 9:12 pm

my filly gets really bad dandruff in the winter .. any suggestions on how to get rid of it? any supplements? would adding some vegetable oil to her diet help? thanks! :)
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 pm

My horses has dry skin in her taill..

I am going to try some zinc as a sipplement...thinking maybe she is not getting enough.

She is already on BOSS and oil...
Flax may be a good choice too...but it can effect a filly/mare's moods at times...
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm

I second feeding the flax (and personally haven't noticed any differences in the mares/fillys behaviour here, maybe I'm just lucky though :P). I feed 1 cup per horse, per day. It is a great natural sorce of energy, fat and fibre, I've noticed that it has really helped to improve hoof health as well as makes your coat shine (and reduces shed-out time in the spring). All the horses on it have great skin, and with its anti-fungal properties it helps fight off rain-rot if you have a horse that likes to stand outside all the time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:37 am

I third the Flax.........:)
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 pm

thanks guys! Flax is what came to my mind too. I fed it to them all last spring and they had great summer coats.. just wanted to make sure there werent any other tricks!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 9:03 pm

The girls around here have said that the Bulk Barn is the cheapest place to buy Flax. You may want to check it out if it can save a few bucks (well, dollars I should say - we don't like bucks!)

:cowgirlride.gi
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:10 pm

I get a 25 kg bag of ground flax from the co-op, it just comes in one of their regular feed bags, much better then buying the Valley Flax!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 am

yah, my local feed store sells it for $50/50lb bag... is there anywhere cheaper???
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: ACV and FLAX   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Sounds like you are getting good advice. My horses don't have a dandruff problem, however....

I give each of my horses 1/4 cup of pure apple cider vinegar once a day in their grain...and...each horse gets ground flax.

My gelding who is a bit of hard keeper has never looked better...his coat is thick (well for him its pretty thick) and even his hooves (for some reason) never looked better.

I think with this combo you just might eliminate the dandruff problem, plus ACV has tons of health benefits for horses--their insides AND outsides!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dandruff problem.. suggestions?   dandruff problem.. suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dandruff problem.. suggestions?
Page 1 of 1