Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need suggestions

Go down 
+4
threehorses
C4B's
Brown
munchmom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
munchmom

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 am

I am having a lady slipper of a time with my hands this year so I am thinking I really should have some decent gloves to do chores in. I normally wear the fabric gloves with the neoprene palms and fingers but they are not warm and when I put out wet hay my hands are very painful in a very short period of time. They are no good for gripping metal handles on wheel barrows for long periods either. What do you guys use for doing chores??? I like the gloves for most things because they fit snugly and you can actually feel what you are doing in them but in -29 windchill they just aren't enough!!! Is there a work glove out there that is warm and allows you that feel?????

Back to top Go down
Brown

Brown

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 am

I bought a pair for our barn owner as he wets all hay. Long cuff heavy weight and waterproof and when I use them my regular golves fit inside. They are used by fisherman. Bought in the USA. Hope this helps.

Later
Back to top Go down
C4B's

C4B's

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:53 am

Don't know about gloves...but Body shop do a hand cream called "Hemp hand protecter" and it is amazing..my friend also suffers with her hands cracking in the winter and i gave her some and she was amazed..and said it was the only cream that had ever given her any relief !!!!
Back to top Go down
threehorses

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 am

I haven't found any gloves either that will keep my hands warm in these temperatures, so I have to wear mitts. They are quite heavy (I got them at Mark's Work Warehouse) so I do have to remove them from time to time to fasten/unfasten buckles, hooks etc. Have you tried the hand warmers (I've seen them at Mark's or Canadian Tire)...they are supposed to be good for several hours.
I soak hay here as well, and just use the hay fork to remove the hay from the water barrel, and carry the hay to the horses that way.
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 12:44 pm

I also have a difficult time with my hands and feet. I have a pair of Wells Lamont Thinsulate gloves..(got them at Kent building supplies) they have leather on the palms and fingers with cloth on the top. they are lined with fleece. When its really cold even these will not work, then I put one those knit dollar gloves, and wear a pr. of home made mitts over those. That way when I have to remove the mitts for some things, I still have my hands covered with the gloves.

I still have not figured out how to keep my feet warm. I have a pr of those rubber boots with the thick liners that are suppose to be good up to -40. They don't do the trick for me.

Good luck and if you find something that works.. let us know..
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I love the Wells Lamont gloves too MS. With hoof trimming I go through quite a few pairs and these are great because they are sized for women. I've even skied in my WL's this year!

As for the boots, have you seen the new BOGS MS? They look pretty stylish and are supposed to be warm. Have you seen the Dunlop Puroforts (Thermal +)? They have no lining and are good to up to -40 I believe. Not very fashionable, but they work! They are pricey at close to $200 but I've been wearing mine for over 2 years and they are still like new. I've found that with the Canadian Tire rubber boots you end up replacing them or the liners so often that they end up costing just as much in the long run. You can get the Dunlops at Marks.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Plain old yellow deerskins for me. I wear gloves inside them for the winter (I could always buy fleece lined, but meh).

As for feet I wear thick fleecy ankle socks with a pair of wool pit socks over top. I wear just basic rubbers with no lining so my feet get cold quick, but if I wear my riding boots I am fine.
Back to top Go down
munchmom

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a pair of Baffin rubber boots with the liners that look like oven mitt liners. Silver and sparkly. I do not wear socks in these and they work great for doing chores as long as I am moving. For standing still,. like holding horses for the vet or barefoot trimmer I put wool socks on and put LL Bean foot warmers in my socks. So far so good - my feet stayed warm.

Maybe I need to keep a paid of mittens with hand warmers in my pockets to use once the gloves are wet........ hmmm!
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Fiere wrote:
Plain old yellow deerskins for me.

Me too!
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 pm

I also have the Baffin rubber boots .... and I wear socks in them.. but feet still freeze in those. My hubby has them, and he goes bare feet in his too, stays toastie warm.

In the summer I love my deer skin gloves, I also have the lined ones, but they are not near warm enough for these cold days.
Back to top Go down
munchmom

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:34 pm

The only issue I have with my baffin boots is that they fill up with bits of snow and ocasionally water (splashed out of buckets on the way to the barn) and then they just don't smell very nice! LOL I may invest in a pair of Muckboots.. They look really nice and fit the calf more snugly and I think they are insulated.
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:59 pm

My boots have a string tie at the top that I can tighten, so no leaks.

Just another idea for water.. I carry my water back and forth to the barn in 10 liter jugs that you can purchase at Super Store. They come filled with water, have a handle and a cap.. no spillage. They are wonderful!!! The fit nicely in the kitchen sink for re filling as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need suggestions   Need suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions
Page 1 of 1