Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Empty
PostSubject: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 am

What are everyone's thoughts on manure munchers? Do you think it is based on something lacking in their diet, or do you think that it's more of a behavioural issue?
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 pm

I think they are missing something in thier diet, I would feed free coice minerals and some probiotics..
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Bay-Lee wrote:
I think they are missing something in thier diet, I would feed free coice minerals and some probiotics..
I agree. They also could be hungry. Do they have hay availabe to them while outside?

I hope everyones feeling better soon. MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? 757770
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Quote :
I hope everyones feeling better soon.

I hope so to...........
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 am

Any up dates??
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 am

We are starting all the critters on probiotics (just waiting for a shipment to come in - nobody sells them locally), plus minerals (Excel by Dynamite). They get lots of hay and fresh water. Reo (the big muncher) was started on the minerals at the beginning of April but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. We tried free choice minerals last summer/fall but they either blow away in the wind or else get too soggy in the damp. All our stalls have mineral blocks and salt blocks.

I'm in search of an effective but ecomonical supply of both probiotics and minerals. What do you guys use?
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

I've used a loose beef mineral in the past...its not for horses but it didn't seem to hurt them. I also use kelp.
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:06 pm

hmm.. i was actually going to post a topic about this..
at the barn where i work, we used to have this gelding who would always eat a certain mare's manure.. every time!! this year, we have noticed probably 5 or 6 of the other mares and geldings also stopping to eat this certain mare's manure as we were walking on the trail... what gets me, is that, they ONLY eat THIS particular mare's manure. they show no intrest in anyone elses... but when this mare makes manure, everyone stops for a bite... this mare gets no other dietary extras than any of the other horses... all 21 of them live together as a herd 24/7... any thoughts as to why they only eat this horse's manure? .. its baffled me forever...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?   MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MANURE MUNCHING - NUTRITION OR BEHAVIOUR?
Page 1 of 1