Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

You gotta love them!

Go down 
+2
MoonShadow
Ellie*Mae
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

You gotta love them! Empty
PostSubject: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 pm

We've owned Worthy for 16 years and today was the first time he had to be tranqed to have his teeth done. It's possible he has a tender tooth??? maybe, but he was a real turkey, all worked up even before the vet started...but good news, he still has all his teeth! Then the other 2 had their turn, and Arrow had his "manly bits" done - sorry, I just am not doing that - don't want to, don't have to, and no one can make me!! lol! Although I did get the tutorial, and the rest of the sheath cleaner....Worthy, even tranqed was not interested, to say the least, and his "stuff" looked fine. So that's all over for another year.
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Funny I ran into my vet today.. we talked about booking her to come and float the teeth, stab the needles, and clean the boys bits!
We have to tranq my crew as well. She uses an electic power floater. I'm the tongue holder, and go get'er.. So I want to wait for warmer weather...I'm not handling cold very well this year. I'm pretty sure Shadow would let me clean his bits, with out a fuss.. but ... I can't seem to bring my self to do it.. on my own.
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Teeth Floating   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:51 pm

For years I have had horses tranquilized to have their teeth floated...the vet I use won't do it without tranquilizing...and I can fully understand why. It can be dangerous not to sometimes. Although I don't like "unecessary" drugs...it relaxes the horse and makes the procedure go smoothly and safely.

I cannot remember who told me this story, so forgive me if someone is reading this and says, hay, that's MY story...but...

A horse was going to have it's teeth floated, as usual, not by a vet, but by a few people "trained" in this area...the horse completely freaked out, reared up, smashed it's head on the ceiling of the barn, fell down, and in its struggle to get up, broke it's neck. Obviously the horse died in the end. I do believe the horse had it's teeth floated without sedation prior to this incident. Regardless...if a person qualifed in giving sedation/injections had done so (i.e. a vet), and then floated this poor animal's teeth...it would no doubt be standing in the barn now. Very very sad.

SO, I think, in my unprofessional opinion, that all horses, if necessary, should be sedated prior to having their teeth floated.

Now, why a horse would suddenly react to this procedure if not so in the past? No idea. But really, it is just safer to sedate a horse I believe to have its teeth floated...then you can do the sheath cleaning right afterwards...added bonus! : )

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 11:03 am

Just got the bill - $22 to clean sheath - pffft.....worth at least twice that, to say the very least...and that included the bottle of cleaner.....pffft.....!!!!
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 am

Ellie*Mae wrote:
Just got the bill - $22 to clean sheath - pffft.....worth at least twice that, to say the very least...and that included the bottle of cleaner.....pffft.....!!!!

I totally agree with you!!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Who knew "boy maintenance" was so cheap, eh?

I get all the guys tranqued to get their teeth done. I figure that way they have a relatively positive experience and won't build up a fear for the vet. It's much better for my nerves too!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

GEESH......I'd come do it for 20 but youd have to put up with me for the night.............and I guess that means my idea of opening a TRAVELLING SHEATH CLEANING CLINIC is done!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm

I never had my horse tranq years ago when they had their teeth done, but after my old vet gave up large animals and new vet came on site he refused to do it without tranq .. so it began.. I don't like it but know it's necessary .. for the vet doesn't want to get hurt and it's more comfortable for the horse as well... As far as cleaning the sheath.. well I leave that mostly up to TE (Sarah) and Joan next time we get you out of CB and coming this way I'll save it for you.. lol..
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:09 am

One of the vets we use doesn't trank if he doesn't have to, they use the old fashioned hand held rasps. If he does have to, he uses a light dose. The other vet from the same clinic uses the power type float, and the horse get the full dose of trank, obviously! Usually Worthy is so laid back it, but I made a mistake and we did Arrow first, that being enough to have Worthy all worked up because **GASP** Arrow was out of his stall **FIRST!!!!** What a tool.

Trust me Joan - Worthy is having none of it - even tranked....he ain't called Ol' Cranky Pants for nothing LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You gotta love them!   You gotta love them! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You gotta love them!
Page 1 of 1