Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Footing ideas...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Moose Is Loose

The Moose Is Loose

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Just cleared an area for my riding ring... any ideas on what to put down for footing..
Back to top Go down
Total Eclipse

Total Eclipse

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Crusher dust/small rocks then sand on top.. ?
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 am

my sister used what they call masonary sand.. it's held up really well..
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

I have to put some footing in my round pen that has been "settling" for almost a year. Ideally, because I have soil that turns to muck when it rains, I want to put down a layer of pit run gravel and let that settle and compact a bit. Then I want to cover it with crusher dust. That's what I did in my turnout area right around the barn and it holds up really well and drains quickly after a hard rain.

The cost is the big reason I haven't done it yet though. Pit run is $100 a load and I will need 6-8 loads and then the crusher dust is $300 a load. I'm hoping to get away with only 2 loads of that. I'm going to hold off till fall to put the pit run down because I want it to compact really good over the winter before the crusher dust goes in. It will be unusable unless there's snow though until I can get the crusher dust so that's why I'm waiting.

I figure if the crusher dust compacts too much and gets really hard, I can have sand brought in later. Atleast my base will be solid and well drained at that point.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 am

Sorry, no suggestions for footing. I think it really depends on where your located. Do you have a cheap source of sand?

Sexy, when we built our barn we had 6+ loads of shale brought in and smoothed out, then they layed down a load or two of pit run. Then the guys brought in some kind of pounder, which compacted the pit run and made the runin smooth and level. Its been 3 years and the barns floor is usually as hard as cement (except when its really wet, it gets a tad bit moist but it drains REALLY well). Can you rent a pounder for to compact the pit run before you add the crusher? I'm just thinking back to that time and it just occured to me that they may have also used a roller prior to the slammer....similar to what they use on the highway. Anyways, my point is I think it would help you really settle things.
Back to top Go down
The Moose Is Loose

The Moose Is Loose

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info....guys....:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Footing ideas... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Footing ideas...   Footing ideas... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Footing ideas...
Page 1 of 1