Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Western Saddle

Go down 
+6
Paint-Lady
rude
RedBaronBPeppy
shelly
Simi
drzult
10 posters
AuthorMessage
drzult

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:40 am

Hey all, I was hoping you guys could help me with a few questions. I have always ridden English, but I am thinking about buying a Western saddle, just for trails and playing around. I have determined I want synthetic so I don't have to worry about getting it dirty or oiling it, basically, a saddle I can just throw on and go. Anyways, I do not know anything about Western saddles. Right now, I have a 17" medium tree. The saddle is very narrow though and does not fit a regular horse. So what would that be in a Western saddle. I know I will have to try the saddle, but I am just looking for an idea as to where to start. Another question, I ride a 14 hand pony, do I have to worry about the saddle being too long on his back and putting me too far back. I find Western saddles are longer than English, would that be bugging him?
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:02 pm

I would look at the wind tech saddles and no it should not bother him I think you would want maybe a 15 in seat ..
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
shelly

shelly

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm guessing you'd want semi-QH bars.
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 9:17 pm

a 17" english seat is about equivalent to a 15" western seat... id say look for semi or regular QH bars for tree width...
since he is a pony, yes, it can be possible that it would be too long for his back... but you can get short-skirted saddles fairly easily..although im not sure about synthetic. i actually just sold one that would have been perfect for you lol.

good luck in your search! :)
Back to top Go down
drzult

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:46 am

Hey guys. So I took your advice and bought a Wintec semi-quarter horse saddle with a 15" seat, but sadly had to return it. The stirrups were too long for me. They were on the shortest hole and I could barely reach them, and because of the flap thing, I couldn't put more holes in. So I figured the stirrups were just a little too long so I would try it anyways, but when I put it on my pony, it sat right on his withers. So I need a narrower saddle. So my next question is, are there saddles narrower than a semi-quarter horse.
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:48 pm

try looking at an arabian saddle...they should be narrower than a semi...oh and if your pony or horse is short backed get the rouded skirt...
Back to top Go down
Paint-Lady

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:33 am

sounds like you may need to buy yourself a build up pad as well.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:27 am

I think these templates will help you:

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/easy-saddle-recommendation.html

You will have to download them, print out the template on regular paper, cut it out, tape it on cardboard and then cut out the cardboard template. Voila, measure. The length of the saddle will definetely affect saddle fit, especially on a pony.
Back to top Go down
Tango

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:38 am

Northsteam loaned me the thing-y for saddle fitting. Works similar to the templates previously mentioned but is wooden and you tighten it all up with screws to create an outline of your horse where the saddle sits.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
drzult

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks, I will definitely try those templates. Can you get Arabian saddles in synthetic, and if you can, which companies make them, and which company would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Buyabetta.com

Abetta makes many many kinds of synthetics - I had an endurance saddle that I loved but unfortunately didn't really fit my current horses.

Happy shopping!
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Big Horn makes and Arabian synthetic saddle (rounded skirt too). They were bought out by American Saddlery a few years ago but the saddles still go by the Big Horn name.

http://www.americansaddlery.com/index.shtml

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/1512bighorco1.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Western Saddle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western Saddle   Western Saddle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Western Saddle
Page 1 of 1