Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riding Alone

Go down 
+4
Tammy
lb-ranch
just joan
Flicka
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Flicka

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 am

So I'm sure everyone has heard of what has happened to Peggy Olive, else here is the link to the CBC article on it.

So my husband has become very protective of me, especially with what happened last year with my health. He does not want me riding unless someone is home. Which means I'll very rarely get the chance to ride due to work hours and after work commitments that he and my roommate have. I'm trying to convince him that as long as I tell someone where I'm riding (which is normally my pasture), when I start and when I plan to finish and then let him know when I am done. That it's as good as if they are inside on the couch watching TV where both are known to loose track of time. That way he can either call me and see what's going on, and if I don't answer get one of our friends or neighbors to stop out and see what is going on.

I talked with my sister about this, and it makes sense to her, as it's the same practice they use at her work when they have to go in on the weekends alone to look at the due to the type of work she does (chemicals and such). My parents and I have been her point of contact on different weekends and we both live in NB and she is in PEI. We have a list of people to call if we can't get a hold of her. The final one being the RCMP.

So what do you guys do, does this not make sense?? The thing also I don't think he realizes is I can get just as hurt with working them on the ground or even feeding them as it is in the saddle. And he has no issues with me doing that when no one is home.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:53 am

Making sure you have a cell phoned charged and on your body at all times along with all your other Safety gear is as good as it gets........having someone know your route and times expected back and so long as you are not going to go CROSS COUNTRY JUMPING.......I believe you are Sensible enough to be let out on your own!!!!!! gonna go back and read your link now......dont know this lady.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
lb-ranch

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 am

I carry cell phone at all times when riding alone, I also let people know when I'm heading out and also when I'm back (either through fb or I call my husband) I also know when he's coming home (usually just as it gets dark so riding after he's home is not an option outdoors) and if I plan a 1/2 hour or hour ride I time it so I'm finishing when he comes home that way if something did happen I'm not out there that long.
could you put an internet cam pointed out a window looking where you are riding? that way you could put it on yawcam or some other site and your family could check it and see how you're doing? (also great when you're away to check on critters in field to make sure they've not escaped or something.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 am

OMG, that poor woman........... Riding Alone 757770
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Tammy

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 am

I just read the article. This is the first time that I heard of it. She's very fortunate to have survived.

I usually ride alone, during the day while Kayla is in school and Gord is at work. I just make sure I have my cell phone with me and I wear my helmet. I don't ride in isolated areas - mainly down the community roads or along the old railway bed (which is like another road around here).

I can understand your husband's concern however he has to be realistic too. Anything can happen at any time - and I don't mean just with riding. We have lots of moose on the roads and there are many car accidents/fatalities each year. But we still have to drive. I always drive with my "moose eyes" on. I've had to adopt the attitude that I'll do everything I can to stay safe in whatever I do, but if it's my time, it's my time.

The accident is still fresh so maybe in a little it of time your husband will relax a little. He loves you! Riding Alone 43238
Back to top Go down
charlo

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 am

When I was growing up I had no one to ride with so all riding was done alone. I always left a flight plan my mother, which trails - general area I would be in, and how long I would be gone. There was always a grace period of an hour or so before anyone would go looking. I never went over that time a lotted

Now I have a riding buddy to go with and a cell phone. Before when the kids were younger I would call my husband or mother and then call after the ride.

Also you should know by now NOT to tell your husband things like accidents to other riders...it just makes them worry lol!
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

I personally hate riding alone but I will do it at times. When I was younger I always rode alone and it didn't fizz me a bit but the thought of being out there hurt scares me now. When riding alone I ride on the main roads. That way if something did happen someone would find me pretty quickly. All of our trails are named with stupid little names (Uncle Ricky's Trail, Marsh, etc) so I would tell someone which trail I was on if I decided to go that way. I dont' have a cell phone. I think as long as you let someone know exactly where your going, stick to your route, and call before/after the ride you should be fine. Def wear a helmet and we wear reflective vests/hunter orange clothing a lot of the time when riding to be more visible.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm too big a chicken...always ride when hubby is home, and neighbours have offered to come and paddock sit me while I ride (I am a very lucky lady)...mind, when hubby is home, I'm in the back yard and he could be anywhere on the 6.5 acres property, usually cutting grass or sawing logs....LOL...but I figure if he sees Arrow going by sans me, he will come and investigate, pick me up, call 911 LOL...one potato digging time comes, he doesn't get home until after dark, kind of a bummer to miss out on nice evenings, but safe is better than sorry!! And always always always I have a helmet on!
Back to top Go down
Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 pm

I hope you have come to some solution that satisfies everyone. I hack alone all the time, prefer to ride alone actually. Take a well charged cell phone, wear a helmet, take a whistle (wear it around your neck on a string) if you are hacking in isolated areas, things like that. If you tell someone when you are heading out, where you are going, when you are expected back then that's all you can do. Life's short...and there are no guarantees even if someone is right next to you on the trail. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding Alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Alone   Riding Alone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding Alone
Page 1 of 1