Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Horse Auction at the Horse Fair

Go down 
+9
FIREBUG
C4B's
Mister MaGoo
SnapHappyHillbilly
LittleRoam
Pink Lady
lb-ranch
Caper Cowgirl
Sailorgirl
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Sailorgirl

Sailorgirl

Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Empty
PostSubject: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 7:20 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head Wissy...we were UNPREPARED to see what we saw. I only hear about such things and I certainly did NOT expect to see it at a HORSE FAIR!!!...which is supposed to be a showcase of well cared horses and responsible loving owners and clinics to better themselves and their horses. This should not have been a venue for those poor unwanted horses...I am still in shock. I blame the organizers for this. Someone I know was planning on bringing her beautiful, healthy, well-bred yearling but when she found out that no vet would be there and they didn't ask if needles were up to date she became suspicious and worried and did not bring her mare. Bad day in Truro Horse Fair.
Back to top Go down
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Sounds like it wasn't a very nice place to be....Hope the organizers take all feedback into consideration before putting another of these events on

I was in Yarmouth and was not able to attend...By the sounds of it I am glad I didn't attend
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 7:42 pm

when I originally heard about it I was told it was to be a cataloged horse sale, to encourage quality registered horses to be brought in, I guess when not enough response came in it became just a common type auction and dealers were encouraged to bring in bunches just to increase the numbers to make it bigger, sadly that meant quality or control of enviroment went out the window. I'm used to seeing this at the livestock auction but agree it wasnt appropriate for a "horse fair"
Back to top Go down
Pink Lady

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 7:48 pm

I for one have been thinking about this a lot. Have decided to write a letter to the people who put this event on. I hope if people voice their opinions things will change for next year. When I took some sheep to the sheep sale that is held in Truro every Sept. their is a vet that checks each sheep before they go up for auction. This should also be done for horses. When I finish the letter I will post for all to read. I did not see the mini's until after the sale their is no excuse for a young horse to be in this shape. I only hope that they where purchase by someone that know's how to help them and not some family looking for a pet. I have see them turn livestock away at livestock auction that where obviously sick.
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Meat Man   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Sailor Girl told me all about the "auction". This happens EVERY DAY and is it indeed VERY disturbing. Sounds like the meat man had another profitable day! Horse slaughter happens in this country and is so horrific that the lucky animals die during transport and arrive at the slaughter house already dead. People----use this experience as something positive--and contact the "powers that be" in government to politely educate them and encourage them to stop horse slaughter in Canada. Educate yourselves on ALL kinds of animal cruelty that takes place on chickens, turkeys, pigs, cows--everything that ends up wrapped up neatly in the supermarket freezers. It isn't pretty. It isn't humane. It is barbaric and cruel and if you thing that the "meat" you buy is humanely killed--think again--you are being seriously mislead. The dairy, egg, and meat industries pay off politicians to keep their mouths closed about the horrific conditions in which egg laying chickens, pigs, cows, etc. are forced to live in and die in!

Well, I've said my piece--it is my duty to--for the animals that have no voice.

BE COMPASSIONATE and ask others to do the same!
Back to top Go down
SnapHappyHillbilly

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:29 am

Quote :
everything that ends up wrapped up neatly in the supermarket freezers. It isn't pretty. It isn't humane. It is barbaric and cruel and if you thing that the "meat" you buy is humanely killed--think again

Not to stear this conversation away from the Auction, but I just wanted to comment that anyone that is worried about how the animals are treated for the meat they eat, SHOULD be buying from small farmers. We own a small farm of 30 beef animals. Our animals are our pets, some would say they are spoiled. We take great care of them, and they arent pumped full of steroids and antibiodics. We tour the SMALL butcher every year, and are there most times when the animals are killed to make sure no "barbaric or cruel" things happen. If you are concerned, buy your meat from local farmers, who need the money instead of just pumping it to the store.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scuffedboots.ca
Mister MaGoo

Mister MaGoo

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 10:39 am

I have to agree....we stopped buying our meat at the grocery stores and buy freezer packs from our local farm market. Not only is it cheaper the quality is 10 times better!!

Now to get back to the auction......if the animals are in such a state then Where is the SPCA??? Isn't it cruelty? Do the SPCA not care??? ......this sickens me!!
Back to top Go down
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:05 pm

This is the e-mail i sent sunday to the SPCA head office for Nova Scotia.

Dears SPCA,

Below is a copy of an e-mail i sent yesterday to the organisers of the Second annual atlantic horse fair held this weekend in Truro, i would like to know where the SPCA stands in view of protecting these horses treated so cruelly, how do we stop this from happening in the future and how can we ensure that these horses are treated with respect even if they're outlook is only to be sent to the slaughter house, why can the last hours of these poor beasts not be in peace with at least the basics of hay and fresh water, and how can we ensure that the people who drop of these horses, answer to the condition of the animals who have been in their care.

I look forward to a response from you.

carol maguire

Dear organisers ofthe 2009 second annual atllantic fair,

Today i attended the Atlantic horse fair, after attending last year for the weekend and really enjoying it, i came home to Cape Breton this evening instead of staying for the weekend, still reeling from the HORROR of this afternoons visit to the horses going into the auction today, as a horse lover (i already have two of my own) and no intention of buying but just to look and make a fuss of the horses there.

Some of the horses(not all) were in an awful condition, with some starved and even worse some in obvious agony, one a starved Mini was staggering around the stall in real distress on the point of collapse, and one a Standardbred mare again very emaciated, swollen feet and a large wound on the underside of her belly, which she was repeatly trying to kick at, i was not the only person today who left that barn in tears, none of these poor horses had even the basic of care like hay or water, what are the rules for your Atlanic horse fair that represents the horse world of Nova Scotia, WHY???? are these people allowed to drop of a horse in this condition and walk away with no accountability for the state of the horse / pony, no punishment or even any education in the care of animals.

People who come to this fair want to see, the beauty of the horses, they come to learn from the experts and attend clinics, Do they want to see what i saw this afternoon and how many are going to come back next year??????????

I look forward to hearing your response, some one has to look after these poor animals who cannot speak for themselves and if they could cry, there would be world outrage, I for one thought Canada was better than this.
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Back to the Auction...   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Good for you to contact the spca and organizers!

I would have been extremely upset had I been there so I understand your outrage. It is truly a desperate situation most of these animals find themselves in. They give so much to us, for us, to only be thrown aside like garbage when their usefullness is done--as decided by their heartless owners.

Good luck and let us know if you receive any replies.

And yes, absolutely support the small (compassionate) farmer.
Back to top Go down
FIREBUG

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:06 am

The auction horses in that state, with disease, lice and lord knows what else,
should not even been in the same barns as part of the fair. I would not wanted to take my mare or foal there to risk catching something these poor
animals might have had. I would be surprised if the fair goes over well next
year after what I have heard. Hopefully, the letter sent to the SPCA and organizers will help in the future. No animal should have to suffer that way.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:05 pm

The standard bred mare with the wound on her belly has been rescued..
Check it out

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=78299899341&ref=nf
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Well thanks - you made me cry.
Mine will all go into a hole in the back pasture before they go to a sale.
Someone told me recently they knew of someone who sent 3 racehorses from PEI to the sale in Truro and got $400 for all 3 - young horses, just too slow
I spent almost that much from the PEI humane society for my dog.....

I think the sale barn in Truro needs to smarten up - or the laws regarding humane treatment of animals needs to be changed.
My husband worked at the hog plant here before it closed last year, they were very strick on how the animals were transported, and the condition
they had to be in when received.
Animals in that conditioned should not be accepted to the sale barn. No ifs, ands or buts.

Dear God, the eye on that mare
I don't know who you are that rescued her...but you are an angel

Excellent letter Carol
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Wissy I clicked on your link and all I got was my own facebook place???
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Pink Lady

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Joan try clicking on Pink Lady's link..
Back to top Go down
DAX

DAX

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:46 pm

You guys are REAL ANGELS on earth! And I bet Cadillac would agree!

I am shocked that they was no one there to inspect the animals.

But again, I dont know you folks either, but I hope to meet you wonderful folks in person sometime!
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Cadillac was on the news tonight. she's looking mighty good.. thank god for little girls that love horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horse Auction at the Horse Fair   Horse Auction at the Horse Fair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horse Auction at the Horse Fair
Page 1 of 1