Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...

Go down 
+5
Caper Cowgirl
Tammy
just joan
lb-ranch
D-Cutch
9 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Empty
PostSubject: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 am

Well my SO has been gone in Boston for the last week and a half with his father (it has been a zoo here with me back to work) - he suffered a major heart attack over Easter and was put on a waiting list for open heart surgury in Halifax. They told him multiple times he'd get a call but after 9 weeks of waiting, no call, and sitting at the Summerside hospital everyday because he was in so much agony/difficult breathing he called down to the States as he is an American Veteran/dual citizenship and they agreed to look at him.

Glenn was the only son/daughter with a passport and knew he could get down with the new border rules (and yes, he whined and complained and told me to bugger off when I inisisted he get his passport about 6 months ago) anyhoo down they went. His father was transferred around to a few hospitals down there and ended up catching a cold of some sort that really set him back on top of the long trip down. It took over a week for Halifax to send the infromation down to Boston - when they finally got it and looked at the film from the angioplasmy (sp?) - dye test and the report that went with it...it was completely inaccurate. They said he needed a triple bypass and his heart was functioning at 25% well the dye test showed he was barely functioning at 5% and need more like a quintuple bypass. It also showed vivid abnormalities in the arteries and of course none of this was indicated on the report. Throughout this whole process the doctors in Boston have been absolutely appauled that for 1 - they dischagred the FIL from the hospital, for 2 - they didn't take him back in when he suffered numerous other heart attacks at home and 3 - they're diganosis of his condition and surgury needed was completely inaccurate.

They ended up doing open heart surgury yesterday despite him being sick because they couldn't wait any longer as they feared his life was in grave danger.

The great news...he is doing good! He came through it like a trooper - still very much under the weather and has a long road ahead of him but he is alive and the nurses assure Glenn he is coming along well.

I think our healthcare system is brutal to begin with but this is really just the icing on the cake. I believe he would have died before he would have had the surgury in Halifax. I spoke with the booking clerk for the surguries before he left and they assured me he was top priority on the non-admitted patients list which after waiting 9 weeks means absolutely nothing if you ask me. One could have a great debate over the fact we don't have to pay for services here but the reality is we do pay taxes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:26 am

now that's a subject you dont want to get me started on... after living on both sides of the border if I were truly sick or diagnosed with a life threatening illness I would head straight back down to Florida rather than wait on our "free" health care up here. Even as a Canadian when we lived state side for 16 yrs we found the US system faster, better and not as costly as people think, (though life flight helicopter charges are outrageous) but the hospital system is great. The main hospitals in Florida have a "everyone must be treated" sign on the door, doesnt matter if you have money, what country you're from or anything, If you're in a waiting room you are seen and treated. The only way our current medical coverage is any good is that my husband has us the added Blue Cross full package through his work, other wise basic provincial coverage is pitiful.

Glad to hear Glen's Dad is doing better and properly diagnosed/treaated.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:37 am

Lucky for him he had the option. Glad he is doing better......It really is scary....look at the misdiagnosis of the Nfld women and then now a whole new set of women in N.S. mamograms misdiagnosed and mis trreated......along with all those poor folks that went to prison on the say so of one forensic examiner......yes......it is really worriesome.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:17 am

He is so lucky to have the option of going state side. I hope he is on the mend and has a full recovery. No doubt about it - our system sucks
Back to top Go down
Caper Cowgirl

Caper Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 am

I was wondering how you FIL was making out....

That's wonderful news that he is coming around....He is very lucky to have had that option available to him...I do not like nor trust our healthcare system....If there weren't so many shortages on working staff and top heavy in the offices we would have a much better system...People are burnt out here and miss thing after thing...Human error but a error that is not exceptable when dealing with people's lives

What a sigh of relief you must have breathed knowing Glenn had his passport...Without that your FIL may have had to go through this alone...A blessing that he could be there with him
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am

That's really scarey considering Halifax is so highly thought of for it's cardiac care.

It's good that he took care of himself and got down there.
Back to top Go down
Pink Lady

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 pm

It is wonderful news that he is getting the care that he needs. Our health care needs some work.Last year I step backwards off the hay wagon, mess up my knee an I am still waiting for surgery. Was told I would get in May or June butt still have not hear yet. After they do the first surgery, I will find out if they will had to do anther on the acl. The waiting list is a year long for a acl repair. Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... 336163
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:22 pm

That's why I am so afraid of getting sick.. and even now.. with all these colds I've had and sore throats, my doctor say oh it's nothing.. you'll get over it.. ok.. then.. yes I've had blood tests.. all ok.. calcium is low so I now take pills.. and now I'm on two puffers.. one doc said I didn't need one puffer unless I was asthmatic but my doc says yes I need both.. so wtf..
D, so glad your FIL got the help he needed and was lucky enough to have the option and a son willing to be by his side.. I pray he gets stronger every day and comes home soon.
PL.. I know how long you've suffered with your leg.. wishing I could do something to hurry along your surgery.. hoping you get the call very very soon!
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:52 am

Lucky, lucky man!! I personally have no problem with private and puplic health care co-existing side by side & so many companies offer group benefits now - if you can afford it, or have the coverage, would that not take pressure of the public health care system? If I can get my boobs done, or my nose changed, or any cosmetic work - why can't I get my knees and hips done, or that bypass, and not have to wait years (but, hey - you can look REAL good dying!!!!)

....I am filling in for a lady at work who has been diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma)...her biospy is in Halifax the end of July...they can't start chemo until they do the biopsy to determine the exact type and stage she is in....she hasn't been able to work since March, and that's a long time to be waiting, knowing, that your disease is progressing unchecked...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...   Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Dose of Our Lovely HealthCare System...
Page 1 of 1