Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS Empty
PostSubject: STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS   STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 pm

I've heard that one should undo a standing martingale while crossing a river in case the horse falls and finds himself/herself in the dangerous situation of having to get up in a river! Their head and neck cannot extend out fully with a standing martingale attached. So, if the river's flowing and high, take the time to undo that standing martingale.

I have not witnessed this but just some advice for any of us who have to use those awful standing martingales while hacking.

Also, something I do for safety's sake...I put a string around the top neck loop of my standing martingale and attach it to the ring on the front of the saddle with a little snap. This keeps the loop up where it should be in case I'm grazing her on the trail and it slips down.

Happy Trails everyone!
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS Empty
PostSubject: Re: STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS   STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:50 am

Good post LittleRoam.. I don't use a martingale myself but I used one on my mare years ago.. never thought of that with the river.. good thing we never crossed a river.. don't think she would do it anyway.. lol.. But Gunnar he lovesssssssssss the river.. he likes to bury his face up to his eyeballs .. sometimes even further.. stinker..
Back to top Go down

STANDING MARTINGALES AND RIVERS
Page 1 of 1