Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dog issues... Advice?

Go down 
+5
TripleCRanch
Barefoot_Horsegirl
tilly
Flicka
Wil-If-I-Want
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

Dog issues... Advice? Empty
PostSubject: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am

I like the methods and techniques of Ceaser Millan and the idea of a mentally "balanced" dog. My dog is great, He respects space and boundaries for the most part (sometimes his hyper 2yr boxer mind gets the best of him) but with some minor corrections he is quick to snap out of it. He is the largest dog I've ever owned, if my little dogs showed agression to other dogs everyone would justlaugh it off.

I used to go to the dog park daily. It was great, it tired him out and I enjoyed watching it. One day a big GSD got into a fight with him, they were both playing with a rope toy playing tug of war and the GSD flipped him on to his back and got on top of him scratching his belly and biting his neck, my dog screamed bloody murder and was scared out of his mind. After this episode my dog became agressive with toys and bones around other dogs (but not people) for this reason I've not gone to the dog park at all anymore.... he's never shown his teeth, nor growled at me, EVER but I make it a habbit to take things from him on a daily basis.

He gets along super well with my bf's parents lab Chloe. They are great together but if Chloe goes "stiff" Wilson jumps her. (I don't know the proper term but you can just see it.. Chloe gets all tense and licks her lips and won't make eye contact) The fights are loud which makes it seem worse than it is. They never last more than a few seconds and happen once in a blue moon and not on a regular basis ALWAYS over toys, food, or when another dog claims something.

Wilson lives with a Bernese Mountain Dog. They play very rough in the back yard but get along super well. However, he will fight her if she comes in my room.... this is a new thing.

A few weeks ago my BFs family were looking after a dog for the weekend and when Wilson met him.. he lunged and there was a fight. BF separated them and when I got home I put the new dog on a leash, "claimed" and it took only a few minutes for Wilson to settle. This was a large submissive agressive lab and showed his teeth and growled with his hair up at my dog.. They were fine the remainder of the weekend..

The family I live with is sitting a GSD puppy, she's probably about 6 months old? and the same thing happened last night only the pup screamed bloody murder for a minute after I had Wilson laying down... The screams made it seem worse...

At the barn he is fine with the 4 dogs, fine with my parents 3, good with cats, horses, you name it! What exercises can I do? I think all this extra agression is more or less hyper anxiety.. He does this in the backyard when he sees the neighbours dog and jumps 4 feet and runs around. It seems to be territorial as this only occurs in "his" houses....

He gets excited on walks when he sees other dogs but I've got him to the point where he will sit on command and watch them walk by.... He's a big dog and he can really pack a punch I'd like to get all this worked out

Here is my little sweet pea. He is a wonderful dog, he really is.. but this new thing he is starting is quite frightening... *sigh* and its so random it is certain dogs! usually submissive / frightened dogs.. I'm not sure if he sees this as a weekness and doesn't like that?

Dog issues... Advice? 317392_10150377610860665_505490664_8772763_113874813_n

And with moms dogs - good as gold
Dog issues... Advice? 294606_10150286983845665_505490664_8149656_2832973_n
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Bunker was like this, and sometimes still is.

Last summer we got her off of Kijiji, she was 6 months old. We could take her to the dog park, if the other dogs were to pushy she would get semi-aggressive, then she went into heat and since then we couldn't. She got so aggressive looking that it didn't work well at all. She was also very food aggressive and certain toy aggressive. With my sisters dog (Hyper young boxer/lab) or my parents dog (reclusive senior cocker cross), we had to be careful. We did get her fixed the second she got out heat, and the issues were still there and got somewhat worse.

95% of the time I could catch her before she went into that mood. We did obedience class, and we had to make sure that the other dogs didn't come too close. If those dogs were quiet, she was pretty good, if they were hyper, I would have to hold her back.

A friend got a goofy male lab, Pike, a 8 week old puppy. At first they were fine, then when Bunker's mode changed, we had to be careful with them as well. When he turned 11 months, they couldn't keep him any more and my SO said we would take him. When we introduced them after not seeing each other for about 2-3 months, Bunker had to go through the obedience steps where she had to listen to me completely and ignore Pike then we let them met. I had to do the same thing every time that Bunker would see my sisters dog, and it did make a big difference, as it kept her brain between her ears.

3 months later they are really good friends, and now when my sisters dog shows up we don't have to go through obedience work anymore to control her aggressiveness, we still do it so that she listens when other dogs are around. We can also now take her to the dog park. We still have some aggressive problems, but it's like 90% less then what it was. We still have to be careful for what toys we give. We tried to give some brain toys, but she would want the treat so bad, that if Pike came close she got mad at him for coming to her toy. So they only get those when they are locked in their kennels, or we know one will stay upstairs and the other downstairs.

I'm not saying to get another dog. But to do the obedience work when the issues arise and if you can catch them before it happens. This is what worked for Bunker, else it might be an idea to look at getting professional help.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Wilson and I live with my boyfriends sister. She has a big Bernese Mountain Dog and she and Wilson are best friends and love to play outside. Wilson just does not like her in "our bedroom" We also spend 50 percent of our time at my boyfriends and he has a black lab which my dog is A-OK with.. as in we go in the door they meet face to face, they are calm, no problems at all (unless they have a toy/food/possesion over something, someone)

If I walk into my moms house after months of not being home her dogs will greet mine face-to-face no problem. Same goes with my cats.

At the farm, all the dogs greet him in a friendly manner. Ears forward, tails wagging. Wilson in turn greats them friendly!

If a dog lunges at Wilson he red zones into defense mode. OR if a dog is scared of Wilson and doesn't greet him, cowers, yelps, ect it equally sets him off.

When he red zones I can pull him off and he snaps out of it quick, never tries to bite me and I've literally pulled him away by the skin on his back/neck.

Do you think it could be that these 2 dogs in question were "in a new setting and nervous" in "his" domain?

The only reason it escalated last night was my leash dropped out of my hands.. totally my fault. He did that with the other dog until I made him realize everything was okay and then they were fine and he respected the "new" dogs space.
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I am not a dog expert but Boxer's were originally bred to fight other dogs, We have a Sheltie and she was born to herd and bark. Thank goodness I live in the country where she can bark and my horses are use to her. But it does drive me nuts some days. Could it be that Wilson has become the dominate male in the house and people are no longer the Alfa male and female to him and he feels he has to protect the pack. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Where does Wilson sleep? Who goes through the door first - you or him? Do you make him work for his supper, toys, treats, etc? Is he allowed on the couch? Sounds like Mr. Wilson thinks he can rule the roost. I don't think so. Your the lead dog, not him. Time to work on your leadership skills.

Other then the dog park can you take him elsewhere for running to burn off the energy? Boxers are hyper, off lease, wide open running is good for that.

I have 5 dogs and we had major issues before working on our leadership. We still have issues, but it has improved greatly. I have two male JRT's that would try to KILL each other (a terrier fight is like no other dog fight, trust me!). We haven't had a dog fight in months, knock on wood. Before they were a regular occurance, sometimes multiple in one day! I struggle with babying them and letting them get away with everything. Jason is much firmer and strict with the rules and they actually listen to him much more. Just by incorporating stupid little things like no more sleeping in bed, working for food & treats, not letting them on the couch, going through the door first, etc has made all the difference. Don't walk around the dog. Use your body language to move him out of the way. Make him move. No more couch, etc. Less talking to the dog. Also, lots of umbilical work (do you watch at the end of my leash?). I would keep him on a leash where you have control while around other dogs initially from now on.

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am

I agree with Barefoot!

Don't coddle him. Give him commands give him things to do.

About 2 months ago. I picked up a 2 year old Boxer, registered to the hilt fixed. Beautiful animal he was..but he had a severe problem..he HATED other animals...period. He was free...should have known there was a problem.

He was the very best with me and the kids and husband. My GSD he stood over her one day while she was laying down. He would NOT move. My dog went to get up and he snapped and grabbed her by the neck and would NOT let go. My husband tried to break him off her but only succeded in picking both dogs off the floor.

After a few times if this my shepherd started giving it back to him and making him mind.

Then he turned to something else. My horses. I noticed him at my fence looking at Mojo my app. My horses are not afraid of dogs and didn't move away from him. He lunged and grabbed mojo by the throat.

I was willing to work with this dog until he did this.

So, don't let him lay on the couch,chair,bed. Don't let him put his paws on you..(sign of him trying to be the dominate one) as small as that seems.

Another thing, don't let him stare anything down. Wether it be another animal or human..you do everything in your power to get that dogs attention. Say Wilson as sharp and as firm as you can...when he looks at you...praise him.

Like Barefoot says. Be the Boss..not Mr Wilson.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 am

Quote :
My dog went to get up and he snapped and grabbed her by the neck and would NOT let go. My husband tried to break him off her but only succeded in picking both dogs off the floor.
Trying to break up a dog fight like this is really dangerous for the humans involved. MY dogs would latch on and not let go, to the point that the other dog would start to turn blue! People were hurt trying to seperate these dogs and got bit in the process. Solution? Cattle prod. Works like a charm and quickly snaps the dogs out of "psycho, kill, out of reality mode" back into "Yes Maam!" Its the only thing that ended the dog fight instantly without any human handling. You can beat them, put them in water, anything you can imagine and they won't let go. One tiny zap or two is all it takes. If the breeder I got one of my terriers from hadn't suggested this, we would have had both dogs put to sleep. It was really out of control for awhile around here. I'm not suggesting you do this but personally I wouldn't want to be the one involved trying to break up a large dog fight after seeing what can happen when trying to break up two 15LB terriers.

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 am

Well , if you have a zapper on hand that would be great. My dog was unable to defend herself and he was going for a kill. At that point I was not afraid of being bitten. My hubby had to choke him off her.

I know what I should have done instead of taking that dog back to the owners. The kindest thing would have been to put him down. I m still kicking myself for taking him back that place. I had him for two weeks.

There was no way of getting his attention when he was fixated unto something. It didn't matter if it was a toy or an animal.

My GSD is trained that when I say her name she is too look at me and wait for the next command.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey guys! there is a big thread on this on AR.. if you want to check it out *sigh* you people are much more classy and tasteful with your choice of wording. I thank you all for that, seriously.

BFHG, to answer your questions I'm boss. I've never been so boss over a dog.. He's "my" first dog however I've owned 6 others. I've been the leader since day one. He goes on the couch and sleeps on the bed but if I want him off, or to move.. he does it immediately. I share my space with him but I also control when I want him out. He is crate trained and walks in on command - sometimes he runs around all silly protesting but he always gives in, in a matter of seconds.

I am always the first in/out a door, and he has to sit and wait to go out the sliding door to the backyard. He's got an impeccable "sit" command.. and will do it regardless of the state of mind he is in.

I've never seen the dog growl, or show his teeth. He's never, ever shown attitude with me or any other human.

Loves horses. Great of leash with them.. does not chase them and he's been around them since he was 8 weeks old. (off leash, in the paddocks, barn ect.) I can't count the number of dogs he's played with... I'd say over a 100. We were at the dog park daily before I started hating it (there were too many other dogs fighting for my liking)

The fights he gets into, in the house happen once in a while every few months or so? but as mentioned they don't last long a few growls, spins, and barks and then they are A-OK. He can go months without seeing my parents 3 and meet them face to face at the door. Same goes with my sisters boxer - he sees him once a year for a week and they were perfect this summer.

He needs to be socialized again.. he's gotta get out and see other dogs and realize that just because he sees them doesn't meet he gets to greet them, play, or what have you.

He is limping and I'm concerned.... making a call to the vets Monday AM and am hoping to get in there ASAP. We've got a consultation lined up with a trainer on Thursday but obviously won't be going if he is sore.

Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Is it possible that he is scared of new dogs now and this is his defence????
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Not sure!

He met three dogs today. We went for the parade meeting with the girls and there were 2 dogs jumping at my car to see wilson (older golden retriever and a RottieX).. They seemed very friendly and curious and were not barking, rather whimpering slightly tos see him as he was to them. I opened the door and had him on a leash/harness they smelled, licked, and played perfectly! I was very happy. Then my friend brought out her PitX and they were wonderful as well hers was offleash but I kept Wilson on his harness because he is sore...

I've just got to figure out what triggers Wilson, and why it seems to be shy/scared dogs that he has conflicts with.
Back to top Go down
Twilight

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes, I've been following the ARF thread, and am proud of you for taking it so well. I wouldn't. They have been exceedingly harsh.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Twilight wrote:
Yes, I've been following the ARF thread, and am proud of you for taking it so well. I wouldn't. They have been exceedingly harsh.
I agree. The majority of people I know (myself included) did not come out of the womb trained in competitive obedience. At least your asking for help! Jeesh! I love how they are so quick to judge Caesar Milan and yet they don't offer any other trainers, etc for you to look up. At least give you something to work with. Who do these people claiming to be such dog training experts refer to (I'd like to know too!).

Now, with that being said I do feel you are defending Wilson a little bit.

Quote :
He goes on the couch and sleeps on the bed
I would get him out of the bed ASAP. He's protecting your room/you and its not acceptable. I LOVE sleeping with the dogs...LOVE. They are so warm and so nice to cuddle with. But, Jason implemented that rule change a long time ago and it has made a big difference (Don't tell him I said that, haha). Make him sleep in his kennel. It does sound as if he is fearful at times but if he is acting aggressive towards the Bernese I don't think that is fear related from what you've described.

Work on eye contact exercises too. These have made a big difference with my problem child. So, when we go in the door not only does he have to get "back" so we go in first, but once we are in the door he is not told "ok" to come in until he gives the eye contact.

If you have little treats like kibble take a handful in both hands and place the hands behind your back. You can make him sit in front of you. Look at him directly in the eye. As soon as he gives you the eye contact back (timing is important here), treat and say YES!. Keep doing this. Eye contact = Super happy YES! and treat. Change which hand the treat comes from so he isn't expecting it. Once he gets it, extend the amount of time between treats and try to get him to maintain the eye contact.

This trains the dog that he must be watching YOU if he wants anything. Then you can add distractions and try to get him to maintain the eye contact.

I found a video on youtube that kinda describes it. I didn't follow this method but it is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oo6tcSxWWg
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 9:24 pm

you know what WIIW, you were a big enough person to ask for help...Those Arfers just dont know how to give advice without being rude and impolite, I left that forum years ago, and I dont miss it at all.Good on you if your kept your cool....Im sure you will figure out whats going on with your guy..I really cant give any advice about dog training, All I know is you have to be the pack leader, and that I learned that from Ceasar Milan, and Im proud to say it.... :).. Good luck WIIW, please keep us updated.... ( I might try to see the thread on AR, I might be able to do so has a visiter)
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 am

Wilson saw the vet this morning. I sent her a FB msg last night saying that I'd be calling to make an appt in the AM. 9AM rolled around and I was just caught up enough in my work to phone but before I had a chance the clinic called me. (Did I mention I LOVE my vet?)

They told me to come in right away so I rushed home and got Mr. Wil.

He was a true gentlemen in the waiting room.. never barked at any of the other dogs (an olllld beagle, aged cocker spaniel, a brittany, a little terrier that was barking at him, and a retreiver pup!) He sat perfectly and everyone was oouing and awwwhing over him because he was so well behaved yet inquisitive and watching everyones moves and cocking his head.

It isn't a knee injury she suspects it is in the hip/spine and just a slight pull, nothing to be too overly concerned about at this point and his limping has subsided as I've been restricting his movement. She's perscribed him anti inflammatory and in 5 days if he is not back to his usual self we will to xrays. He is to remain on restricted movement - no off leash outdoors and short walks for exercise.

She's given me the clear to meet the trainer as it will be on leash exercises. I am now awaiting to hear back from the trainer if 7PM Thursday is still open.

No sense getting mad at people or taking offence. If someone wants to judge post seeing my dog in action IN PERSON, as well as my handling then by all means they are entitled to their own opinion.. I know that I have control over my dog and that he is very well behaved I don't need to "defend" that. He's 2, and a very well behaved 2 year old for a non professional, "inexperienced" power breed owner. I want help, I'm going to get help, and even once I get the help and have a "perfect" dog in "my" opinion others will still have different views which everyone is entitled to. :)

Anyone who knows anything had to learn at some point didn't they? It isn't fair to make an assumption that I'm some irresponsible owner just because I "don't know how" to do something "YET" if that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am

Heres the vid. It was too dark outside and this was the only space I had to do anything.

https://youtu.be/ZNsNieuJ_JY
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:43 am

I have been following the other thread as well. I am no longer a member there so couldn't comment. I don't know why I was so surpised since it is a common occurance there but I thought the comments were very harsh. It definitely left me with a bad impression of someone who is using her business name as a screen name. Can't say I would ever contact her for her services based on the attitude she exhibited.

My dogs certainly aren't perfect, they have gotten into a few "real" fights (5 seconds max) a few times over the years. They need more exercise and it's safe to say we all struggle a bit when it comes to that. Training mine to run on a treadmill has helped a lot especially when it's cold or miserable outside.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 12:33 pm

I've met the person in question in person once.. and paid for her services ...

The way that it was written was very harsh and I feel that I don't deserve that because I am a caring owner whose working through the issues. It is one thing to feel strongly about something, it is another to tear apart someone for wanting to learn. I not mad at anyone I just read it in a sarcastic, offensive tone which I didn't think was necessary.
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 am

[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a dog expert but Boxer's were originally bred to fight other dogs,
[quote]

Actually Boxers weren't bred to fight other dogs at all. They were originally used to bait large game and handle large animals for butchers.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:41 am

Here is our first Clicker training session

https://youtu.be/arFE4Lv9APk

My timing is off at some points but I'm learning.

The purpose of our exercises are to not ask anything.. no hand signals & no voice. When Wilson offers a behaviour I like I click & treat. He is a very smart dog and it didn't take him long to figure out doing something good = a reward.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog issues... Advice?   Dog issues... Advice? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog issues... Advice?
Page 1 of 1