Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

riding question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tango

riding question Empty
PostSubject: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 am

We have a 7 year old gelding, who is still green. When I ride him he is still fairly forward and "high headed" very excited to head off and see the world, our little ring is so muddy we are having to ride in a large pasture. So I have been putting him on the lunge line and having one of my daughters ride him. He is a groundwork pro, so gets very relaxed. In fact yesterday, he had his nose practically dragging the ground and I swear his eyes were half closed. Makes it a bit hard for my daughter to know what to do up there. Let the reins go completely loose? OTOH he has been known to spook at his shadow. He is in western tack, but still has a big fat snaffle. Any suggestions on what to do with the head dragging?

He has been having soundness issues (club foot) which seems to be coming nicely now, so hopefully in the spring I'd like to find someone to help further his training. But till then.....
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 am

When your horse is going around with his nose to the ground is he relaxed, with a rounded back (no brace in his body), does his tail flick at all? Does he seem like he is "tuning out" or does he still seem to be giving you his full attention. He could be lowering his head because he is trying to "escape" kind of like the cartoon ostrich with its head in the sand, or he could be doing it as a compliment to you, telling you that he is relaxed and calm. Sometimes horses who get that sleepy look in their eye are retreating to their "happy place" he goes around and is doing the job with his body but his mind isn't there, becoming more and more introverted.

As for wanting to move a lot when riding, do you allow him to walk off when you mount? Have you worked on lateral felxion with him? Your key here is keeping his feet still, as much as he might want to move because he is unconfident or anticipating your next move you just need to get on and hang out, ask for no movement. If he does start to move off then ask for lateral flexion until he stops moving his feet, as soon as you get a try stop and relax and wait.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
Tango

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 11:02 am

I'm not sure on the tail, I seem to think he carries it a bit up. Because of the club foot, I tend to be watching for any signs of discomfort there, however his ears are pricked and moving around. He is mouthing the bit as well. We ask for lots of changes of direction and he responds quickly then drops the head again. I know in western pleasure that is what you are looking for but seems very uncomfortable when riding. If we get the chance to ride today I will watch closely and see, but I seem to think when I say anything or move, his ear flicks toward me, but I will check so I can say for sure.

I have been working at keeping him from moving when I mount and he stands very nicely now. I have been working through Clinton Andersons book and when you say lateral flexion, is that having them bring their nose to your foot? If so, yes we've been doing lots of that and he is very supple and easy to flex. When he starts speeding up I have been practicing one-rein stops. In the ring he is much calmer under saddle. Last fall I had a woman come to give me some lessons on him and help me on when to release when doing half halts etc. and he was nose dragging then. She went and had a baby this spring so she hasn't been able to help lol. This summer though, riding has been spotty anyway due to injury, weather etc. so the last couple weeks is the first time he's had some consistant work.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Your horses body language can tell you so much if you just know what to look for. If he is always sleepy and not really blinking I would be worried that he isn't really thinking and that he is on "auto pilot". But it is good that he is keeping his ears moving and that he is focusing on you, how much of his attention is on you is what is really important. Change in direction is great, it gets him thinking and focusing, you could also try to add a few obstacles to his circle to get him really thinking about where he is putting his feet and helping his mind become engaged in the activity. I'd add a few ground poles here and there, maybe some pylons that he has to actively thinking about navigating his way through, even a tarp. Of course you don't want to introduce him to these objects for the first time with a rider, just incase he does react. But you could put him out on the circle riderless and ask him to navigate the course you have set up once he is ocmfortable with all the objects. This will also help bring his nose and head up because it is hard to navigate when it is almost touching the ground!!

And yes lateral flexion is where you get them to basically bring their nose around to touch your boot. It is very important to have consistant lateral flexion becaue that is the best way to stop a run away horse!! You disengage their hind end and they won't be able to run off on you. Sounds like you are doing all you need to be under saddle, but not letting him be the "driver" and by getting the results when you want them. Consistancy is the key :D

And I know all too well about not having good weather - booooo to the crappy year mother nature gave us :(

Keep up the good work with your boy! Sounds like he might just be getting anxious to move out and do "stuff" which is good, but you want him to be controled and focused :D
Back to top Go down
Tango

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'll drag some poles up there. I have used them before, but they are down by the ring. I "tested" his attention today. He had dropped his head and was trotting along nicely nose very low, so I dropped my driving hand and even before I'd finished a low whoa he had stopped and was looking at me. My daughter tipped forward he stopped so quickly. So I pointed out that she needs to keep those heels well down and shoulders back lol. (In her defense, having taken english lessons she is still trying to keep contact on the reins, when he drops his head we don't know what to do with her hands so her arms are almost straight down) So he is listening, but I think you are right, take him off the lunge and lead him or ride him somewhere new and the head is up and he is excited and raring to go. Hopefully if the weather co-operates I can get a few rides on him off the lunge. He did dump my daughter once this summer when he took off unexpectedly to catch up with our other horse - so back on the lunge when one of the girls are riding.
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 9:47 am

How'd it go??? :)
Back to top Go down
Tango

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 am

We did ride before your second post came in and it went well. I think I posted it above... Doesn't look like a riding day today, wind and rain - again.

Thanks again for the help, I am new to this so am very glad to have found this forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

riding question Empty
PostSubject: Re: riding question   riding question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

riding question
Page 1 of 1