Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!

Go down 
+2
Wissy
Tammy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Empty
PostSubject: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:31 am

It seems that there's always some sort of gong show going on around this place. I've decided to try to share them with you guys on a regular basis. So here goes the first two.

I've been getting lazy about bringing the boys in for the night. I go to the gate and clip on to whichever beast comes first. While I'm doing that Thunder usually scoots underneath my arm and goes to have a little munch while the big guys are coming in. I never really thought too much of it before, until the other night. I went to bring the boys in (or tried to bring them in) it turned into a huge rodeo. Thunder was first to the gate so I let him out. When Stretch noticed that he was leaving he rushed the gate. I had the gate open about a body width (my body that is) and although I was pushing back at him and telling him "back" he pushed past me. I managed to grab his halter so I clipped on a lead rope and drove him back. He still wasn't listening - and of course by this time Reo had flown the coop. I was concentrating on correcting Stretch so I just let the other ones go - figured I'd deal with them next! I walked Stretch around the paddock and then had him stand still - or at least try to stand still. Each time he took a step forward I backed him up. He was so friggin' concerned about the other two that he wouldn't give me his attention. I walked him into his stall and then went after the other two with my bucket of carrots. Stretch was very distraught that this buddies were still outside so was spinning around his stall and generally being an idiot. Man that horse can spin! Thunder comes when you rattle the bucket of carrots but of course it was pitch black. And because he had a partner in crime this time he had gone farther away from the barn than usual. Trying to find a black pony on a black night is not the easiest thing in the world to do. I finally heard his little gallop steps and he appeared. OK, got him into the stall. Then of course Reo realizes he's the only one left out so he starts racing around. I got him by the halter and led him in. Now I have to mention that the Lord had decided to put this "really neat" gravel/clay/mud mix onto the driveway because his buddy has it and apparently when it dries out it hardens like cement. We aren't at the hardened part yet so our entire place is nothing but MUD. I mean it's everywhere! The Lord spent all last weekend rolling the stuff in an effort to compact it and get it to set. I think you know where this is leading ... I had a quick look around - as best I could in the pitch dark - and saw nothing but friggin' horseshoe marks ripping up the driveway and all the new grass. Ugh! The next morning I got up and fed the critters. Luckily the Lord doesn't leave for work until after I get back inside. I felt like an employee at a golf course, going around the property and replacing the divits and trying to smooth over the mud. I must have done a good job because the Lord hasn't mentioned anything. Mind you, it's dark when he leaves for work and dark when he gets home so perhaps I am just experiencing a stay of execution!

Now I have decided that the situation is out of hand and dangerous so changes are amiss. I did lots of thinking that night and am taking FULL responsibility for the situation. I'm always in a rush to bring the boys in because I have 100 other things to do at the same time. I've decided that it's just going to have to take as long as it needs to take because it isn't safe. I brought out the rope halter and dressage whip. Now whenever I take any of the boys out of the paddock I put up my force sheild. Nobody is allowed to come within a whip's distance of me and the one I'm leading. I don't open the gate until everyone is settled down and the remaining two have left the area. I realized that the boys were feeding off my "rushing vibes" and now that I'm approaching the situation in a relaxed manner they are more relaxed too. Clearly the the rope halter is very magical. I used it to take Stretch out of the paddock Tuesday to ride him. He didn't even make faces at Reo when he came near. I did the same routine as I explained. I think they actually get it. Last night when it was time to come in Thunder was at the gate first. As soon as I walked in with the rope halter and dressage whip in hand the other two walked to the other side of the paddock. Thunder wasn't too impressed about being lead in but I think he can do without a nibble of grass or two. Stretch came to the gate second. Reo came a little close (within the force shield) but when I extended the whip towards him he walked away. Stretch just stood there while I put the halter on - didn't even try his usual antics when Reo closed in. Then Reo came in. No problemos. No fuss, no muss. It was great. I prepared myself before I went out and was psyched up to let it take however long it was going to take to get them all acting appropriately before ANY of them were allowed in. They must have sensed it because they were all perfect gentlemen.

On Tuesday I actually had a chance to ride Stretch. It's always such a pleasure to ride him. He's nothing but FUN! We worked in the ring first. I've been trying to NOT ride around the rail all the time so I was loping and I turned along the quarter line. Stretch must have thought we were doing a pattern because he sped up going to the end of the ring and then (sloppily) put the brakes on. He was pretty confused by the fact that I wanted him to CONTINUE to lope instead of stop, but after a few tries he got it. After the ring work I took him around the property. We had a lovely lope along the trail and even through my little woods. I think that's the first time I've loped outside a ring in over 20 years! Next we went up the track. He was busy looking at something and actually stepped IN a puddle. I couldn't believe it (and he probably couldn't either). As we were going down the track I decided to try him on a small trail that goes through the woods. At the start though it dips down towards the water and of course was muddy with a bit of water on the bottom. He knew what I was up to so put on the brakes. I'd read in a few books that horses don't like to step in water because they don't have any idea how deep it is, but if you walk through it ahead of them it will instill confidence in them and they'll go through it (eventually). I got off to lead him and hoped that once he saw I didn't disappear into the great abyss he'd follow me. Then I'd lead him over it again. Then I'd get on and try it. What's a girl got to lose, right?! Well ... I was on the other side of the wet area and he didn't want to come with me. He finally changed him mind and with a mighty leap he JUMPED over the "puddle". And I mean JUMPED! I thought he was trying to land in my lap. So I thought, well ... he did it and survived so maybe going back he'll just walk through. NOT. Again a HUGE jump over the puddle. I mean he really got some air time. I can't believe that a reiner can jump that high! And there endeth our puddle training for the day. We rode back to the barn and Bob met us, saddled up Reo and we went for a short walk around the block. On the way back I got this great idea to have Reo and Bob go through the water and we'd follow. Reo doesn't usually mind water but this time he made a face and did his best to tippy-toe around it. I told Bob that I was going to follow him and hang on for dear life. NOW I know why western saddles have those horns! Stretch started to follow Reo and I thought things may actually work out. Next thing you know he did his puissance leap! I stayed on but almost wet my pants laughing so hard. Bob said all he saw was a flash of black soaring past him and Reo! Oh my ...

And so that's what's been going on around here. We've had a few days of sunshine so it's been great getting outside. Today it's also sunny (but cool) so I'm going to putter around with the critters for a bit before I get immersed in domestic chores. YUCK!
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 am

Tammy I had the same problem with Gunnar when he was young, I had Nancy ride Dallas through the puddle with Gunnars nose right on his bum, Gunnar didn't even know he was in the puddle until he was already going through.. a few times like this and no problems now.. in fact it's hard to stop him from playing in the dirty puddle.. lol
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 11:54 am

thanks for taking the time Tammy to write a great DAY AT THE FARM story..............We all must have them I'm sure, but only a few will actually write about it..............I was laughing really hard about the LEAPING OVER THE WATER..............been on the ground looking at them from below.......and aboard hanging on for dear life...............good for you for becoming the BOSS again on your own terms..............my old abbey has started to just break all the electric fence wire and go for a walk........she comes back........but it pisses off Buck cause he's too chicken to go near a wire..........aint life grand. :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Very funny Tammy !!!!! is this going to be a regular slot............
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 pm

I always carrying a whip or fork when I go in with my boys, especially if I have food. They start pushing and shoving amongst eachother and I usually get the thistle end of it. People would think I beat the crap out of them the way the scatter when I come throught the gate with a whip but they are just respecting my space. George and Hubba both had terrible manners when it came to my space when they came. George knows better now, Hubba is still learning.

I wish I could spend my days like yours. I love to putter.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 pm

C4B - I am hoping that this will become a regular spot. Like I said, there's always SOMETHING going on around this place. But of course, not much happened today. Lord Gord had some new footing put in my small paddock the other week and I've been waiting to rake it out. I actually did some of the raking a few days ago but then couldn't move for a good 24 hrs afterward. Today the sun was out (yes, again!) so I decided to give it another try. Things were going very well when suddenly the "sand" started to break away in chunks. Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! 382802 I couldn't figure out what was on the go so of course started to curse all men for having messed with my paddock. Then I realized that the friggin' stuff was FROZEN. Up to that point I had been working where the sun had shone but as I moved into the shaded area things were still frozen up from last night. I certainly didn't feel like Einstein at that moment!

Tomorrow evening is Kayla's birthday party (finally!). We have stuck with the Halloween theme even though things were delayed by 2 weeks due to illness. So on the menu will be brain cake, spiders and witches finger. With blood to drink of course! I can't wait to scare the s@*t out of the little people! HA HA! :36_1_15[1].gif
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm

sounds like our place when we didn't board the horses out they now seem to be half normal for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!   Life is Just so Darned Funny !!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Life is Just so Darned Funny !!!
Page 1 of 1