Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making choices in life...

Go down 
+2
just joan
mypony
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

Making choices in life... Empty
PostSubject: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 9:53 pm

I have come to a cross rode in life. It can be said that I have a hard time making big decisions in my life. Fortunately I have several people that I can talk to about this, but that does not make it any easier...Here is my predicament, I have been at the same job for 10 years this month. It is a "good" job, with pretty good pay and great benefits. However it is a physically demanding job that is mostly outside in ALL weather types and I don't think I will be able to retire from this job in 15 years, I don't think that the company will keep us at our current location. What will most likely happen is the company will get rid of us and hire a cheaper company to do the same work. We, the workers, will be offered the possibility to move to a new location (out of province) or a kind of retirement package (with very little payout). This was going to happen about 5 or 6 years ago and fortunately we got to keep our jobs, but it kind of soured us against the company.

When I was faced with the possibility of losing my job, I decided that I should get my university degree and once I graduated I started to apply for federal government jobs. It has been almost three years that I have been applying for every government job that is posted and I have written LOTS of test. Earlier this week I was offered a summer term job with government agency. This could be my way "in" to the federal government.

Now I have to decide what I am going to do. I like my current job, I like most of my co-workers and however it most likely won't last till I can retire. This could be an new and enjoyable career for me.

I have been able to get a couple of weeks of my current job off, so that I can give this new federal government job a try.

Does anyone have advice on making life changing decisions?

I guess all I can do is give it a try and see how it works out...right? I am not going to quite my current job, of 10 years, till I get permanent full time with the government. Now THAT will be a huge change in my life...
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 7:04 am

not knowing what your current job and position is, makes it a little tricky to give advice......so long as your current employer does not take offence or see some sort of conflict of interest........then I'd say your head was screwed on correctly and you should be thinking about your FUTURE........we all know that physical outdoor work is not something that we can do forever.............if you have the opportunity to give it a whirl, why not...........but as far as getting a true commitment from the government in that short a time frame...........I'm thinking..not likely. good luck
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am

Well I know a part of what you do, and I know you are damned good at your job. You have helped us and for that we were very grateful.

Its hard to make a decision just yet, you have to wait til you have all the facts..... try out this new job.. see how it goes.. Also keep in mind, gov't jobs do not hold the security they once did. They create and distroy jobs and departments like most of us change our underwear...

My sister works for the fed gov't in NS.. well as of today she is still employed, but there are major talks of closing her department, because what she does is not a part of the Conservative mandate.. She is an environmental scientist... and the feds don't give a thistle about the environment.. her department is due to close.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is get all the facts, sort through them, then follow your heart... and don't regret..live and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 9:40 am

I'm also not sure of what it is you do, or what you would be doing, but here's something to think about; if you have a hard working, outdoor type job now, and you go into an office job, might you feel a bit suffocated? Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to say "don't do it for this reason", just bringing up a point. Perhaps if it is an indoor office job you're thinking about, you'd have more energy after work to really work outside with your ponies or something to that effect. I'm sure you're right in that you can't work hard like that forever and perhaps your body would be grateful for the change, lol.
I'm just going to agree with what everyone else said -- know the facts and follow your heart. And best of luck.
Back to top Go down
Highlander

Highlander

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

I feel for you,it sounds like your heads in a tizzy,bit like mine at the minute.At least your being honest with yourself regarding working outdoors and knowing you may not be able to do it for another 10yrs or so.If your happy there and your job's not on the line i'd probably stay put for now.Untill something more permanent comes along,you don't wanna be out of work after six months if you took the summer job now.Be true to yourself and go with your gut. At the moment i have no choice but to lok for a new job as i'm being made redundent at the end of june after 10yrs in the same job.I also work outdoors and i know that indoor work is not for me,i'd go stir crazy.The gals here have been very supportive of me and have helped me see things from a different perspective.At the end of the day though the choice can only be made by you.Wish you all the luck in the world,whatever you decide.x :36_1_67[1].gif
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Live your life without regrets. That's my moto (now - after 46 years of learning the hard way!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making choices in life...   Making choices in life... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making choices in life...
Page 1 of 1