Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heading out solo!

Go down 
+3
just joan
Wissy
Wil-If-I-Want
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I haven't "seriously" ridden (as in more than 15 minutes) in a few weeks because my schedule is just not jiving with my friend and fellow boarder!

I've decided Willow and I are tacking up and going after work. The sky looks ugly but it's been that way since yesterday... the sun pokes out here and there and I figure as long as the rain holds off were going to go out on a trail ride!

Willow is great alone.. she's a little more spooky but nothing that a little pursuasion doesn't fix.

I'm bad for saying I'm going to do it and then don't... so now it's official because I put it on here! I haveeee to go for a ride even if its just a loop down to the beach and back!

Anyone else here ride alone? What precautions do you take differently.. I always tie my reins (in the event that I come off and she leaves) I make sure I have my phone.. I also avoid going places that I've never been before or if its new I venture in only a little more each time.

Wish us luck!
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

my friend rides alone.. she takes her cell.. wears a safety vest.. tells someone when she's leaving and when she's expected back.. where exactly she's going.. and doesn't go where she's never been before..
I used to ride my old fellow behind our house on an old bike trail.. but he's gone now.. god bless my Dusky.. and never brave enough to go out alone again.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm

always had a phone attatched to me......helmet for sure, saddle bags full of first aid stuff, blood stop, bug juice, benadryl, knife, scissors, leather punch, baler twine, foldable rain coat, whistle, leather laces, garbage bag, instant ice packs, shoof, hoof pick, horse usually wore halter/bridle combo spare lead attached, depending on the time of year, foldable water bucket, those things you throw in a puddle and they expand and keep you cool for hours, whiskey for me, green cool aid for him, cheese and crackers for us both

Heading out solo! Image0-4.

now go get out there and have some fun........... :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
just joan
Mod
just joan

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 am

So Wil, how did your ride go????
Back to top Go down
FIREBUG

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 am

Yes, Wissy was talking about me. I have my safety vest always and helmet, cell phone, knife in my pocket. I either phone Wissy and
let her know when I'm expected back, since often my husband is still at work, or I mark on the chalkboard where I've gone and when
expected back. I keep my rides to approx. 1 hr- 1 1/2 hrs and on trails we both know. Save the longer ones for when I'm with someone
else.
I have often had very enjoyable rides out on my own. The deer flies are bad in the woods now so I haven't gone out for over a week.
Can't wait to venture out again.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 am

Joan I didn't make it! when I got to the barn it started to rain like crazy!! I waited 2 hours - Took the saddle & bridle out and cleaned them all up and even took all the hairs off the saddle pads BUT.. it just wasn't letting up outside. I was very discouraged.

Its crappy today too - drizzle & rain :( and I am supposed to teach at lesson at 6!!

I will make it out Friday I hope!!! or Saturday morning and I will update all about it
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

hopefully the weather is nice friday!

I did the same thing this year, I was getting fed up with not having anyone to ride with, so I struck out on my own. Stuck to trails I knew, brought my phone, told someone where I was going, how long I would be etc., I got off and walked the pony through some sections (total chicken thistle by himself - but not dangerous, just stubborn),

and here's my secret weapon! I wore one head phone of my iPod, volume low, and sung very loudly and very much off key! lol

i didnt want to surprise anyone, or have them surprise me. plus when im breathing/singing/talking to my pony, he's way more relaxed, and so am i :)
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

My boss gave me a first aid kit today! yay. Its got a cute little clip on it so it will work perfectly. I like to have a first aid kit, a hoof pick, a halter and lead rope and my cell on hand. I have signal in all the trail we've ridden in thus far and I always make sure to text updates to my bf.

I already know where we will go.. I like to talk to her because it makes me feel not so alone!
Back to top Go down
brighteyes

brighteyes

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm

my first 5 years Involved with horses I've done nothing but trail ride by myself, I was 11 when that started, and didn't even so much as wear a helmet or proper shoes at the time! When your young you don't think of the possible consequences.. thank god my old mare was bombproof, very very stubborn, but safe.

Now if I was going by myself with my 4 y/o I would wear a helmet (as I always do) something colorful (for hunters) and bring a cellphone. If I would go on new trails I would probably wear a vest, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet as we've only gone a couple times by ourself.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 4:06 pm

SINGING LOUDLY was Mandatory on Van Isle........to scare the cougars and bears....... :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 am

ummm I'm afraid if I sang out loud when out on the trail with Gunnar, he'd dump me for sure just to shut me up.. he's like that..!!!!!!!! :P
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 am

Willow and I headed out last night for a little adventure.

We did a loop down by the beach.. I must say doing a controlled lope across a lush green field hearing only the crickets sing and her hooves pound the earth beneath us was exhilarating.

We went around heavy machinery where houses are to be constructed, no spooks. When I asked Willow to cut up a wooded pathway back to the field there was no hesitation and then when asked for an upward transition up the incline she was more alert than usual ie: ears straight forward and really looking at what was ahead.. but as soon as I did our usual "annnnddd walk" she came down beautifully! she stopped and tried to roll back 2x after passing by the buddies paddock when they were no longer in sight other than this, not one more refusal!! To get to the trail we were on the road, didn't fizz her at all with cars flying by at 90 clicks... On our way back on the road the herd was galloping and bucking like mad in their field.. Willow barely batted an eye lash.

I am very, very proud of how far Willow and I have come in terms of understanding & trust... I'm very lucky to have her in my life. She's so nosy and quirky on the ground yet so confident under saddle. I really do trust her (as much as you can trust a horse)

She doesn't dump me (knock on wood), she listens to me (99% of the time) and I actually think she likes my singing hahaha!

I think that riding alone clears your mind.. just you + your horse relying on each other enjoying the scenery around you. This is honestly the most enjoyable little ride I've had in a long while. I love my horsey friends and our trail rides but going out solo was a whole different catagorie in itself.

I suppose not every horse enjoys hacking alone... but luckily my horse is not at all herd bound.

Always wear my helmet & brought a cell phone and a jacket. I forgot my first aid kit and didn't have a saddle bag.. but I used a noseband tie down for just in case purposes.

I love my horsey <3
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

GOOD FOR YOU KIDDO......glad you had a great time... :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am

Sounds wonderful. I can only dream of such a thing.......HOWEVER.......I did manage a nice little ride up and down the road in front of our house in the moonlight Sunday night. Just lovely and yes, I did sing too.

Oh yeah..............in a DRESSAGE saddle........oooops........not "quite" Western :-)
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Heading out to ride alone again! very excited. Will bring camera this time :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heading out solo! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heading out solo!   Heading out solo! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heading out solo!
Page 1 of 1