Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sensitive to Blackflies...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Loves Color

Loves Color

Sensitive to Blackflies... Empty
PostSubject: Sensitive to Blackflies...   Sensitive to Blackflies... Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

My gelding is having a real problem with the flies, this is the first full fly season that I have owned him. I have a fly sheet, fly mask and he is sprayed with citronella; but, if the flies are bad his sheath swells bad. I spoke with the vet, he told me to walk him to get the swelling down and if that does not work I will have to take him in. I will take him for sure if I need to; but, I was wondering if anyone else came accross this and has a solution that I can try? I was thinking of putting something like raleighs on his sheath to maybe help a bit and form a barrier that the flies can't get through. :scratch: Also, he is only going to be put out at night from now on.
Back to top Go down
mypony

PostSubject: Re: Sensitive to Blackflies...   Sensitive to Blackflies... Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 11:57 pm

I have a gelding that reacts to bug bits. The poor fellow gets covered in hieves and it VERY itchy. I got him some antihistamines. I don't give him the meds everyday, but when he is really itchy I give him some to get relif. Poor guy.

I don't know if this might be an option for you fellow. The way I look at it, giving him antihistamines is no different then when I need some relief from my allergies.

Good Luck, it might be a long summer....
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: Sensitive to Blackflies...   Sensitive to Blackflies... Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Unfortantly the vet will not give antihistamines without seeing him, I will take him if I can't control it without the visit. The vet is coming the end of the month for needles and I am going to see if he will give me the antihistamines then to have on hand.

I bought cortate at the drug store and put a thick coat of that on him to help sooth and protect from more flies. I walked him for a bit before supper and rode him later on. The swelling came down alot. Now he is going to be on a different routine. He will be out all night and in all day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sensitive to Blackflies...   Sensitive to Blackflies... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sensitive to Blackflies...
Page 1 of 1