Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

another fencing question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

another fencing question Empty
PostSubject: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:21 pm

Since we are finally in our new place, it is time to fence in a space for the boys. This will be a place that had a shelter and it will be used mostly as their "winter" space. This area will also be attached to our neighbour's pasture.

We are going to get some cider post this weekend. When we go to put them in the ground, how far apart should they be??

What do you think is better 4 inch or 6 inch post?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Bigger is better I think.....what kind of fencing are you using? The space between your pickets all depends on the fencing...
Back to top Go down
mypony

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

We are going to use electric tape, I think the wide stuff. We will eventually be using the electric rode I think.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:50 pm

If you have much wind in your area I wouldn't recommend the wide electric fence. I tried it and the wires inside of it broke apart from the vibrations caused by the wind. I have had to replace it with just the regular "twine" electric. Mind you it's run inside of our white wooden fencing so visability isn't an issue.
Back to top Go down
Pink Lady

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:00 pm

I also had problems with the wide electric tape breaking in the wind. Have started replacing it with the white electric rope from the local co-op. Some of it has been up for two years with no real problems. With the tape I was out fixing it after every bit of wind. :x I also had problems with my insulators breaking.When I contacted the company I was told that it was not made to be used in the cold winters up here :evil: and that I should be taking it down and storing it over winter. I guess I was suppose to keep the horses in all winter. The local CO-OP is not stocking the wide tape anymore. With the rope some of my post are 20 feet apart. As they need replacing they will all be 2 0feet or maybe 30.
Back to top Go down
Green paint

Green paint

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:04 am

We researched this on the electra-braid website and they say the posts can be up to 50 feet apart when using the rope. After measuring off 50 feet and just looking at the huge gap, we felt it a bit wiser to go 30, and use 4" posts in the pasture and larger for the corners of course for keeping the tension. It worked out great in both strength and looks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another fencing question   another fencing question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another fencing question
Page 1 of 1