Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

putting things into perspective...

Go down 
+6
Simi
Tango
Ellie*Mae
Freva
SexyDexy
amadtatter
10 posters
AuthorMessage
amadtatter

amadtatter

putting things into perspective... Empty
PostSubject: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am

Well yesterday wasn't the greatest. Boom and I spent the day with the provincial vet in Fredericton, and after lots of tests, poking, and x-rays, was given the news that my best bud has Navicular Disease. I have suspected and dreaded this very thing for quite some time now, but actually hearing it made me very sad for my horse. He now sports a pair of Natural Balance shoes on his never been shod front feet with hope that he will be comfy for the first time in prabably a REALLY long time.

Now here comes the perspective part....as bad as I feel for him, and as sorry I feel for myself (if there was no such thing as bad luck I wouldn't have any), I am trying to feel happy for the big guy. Happy that he found me...if he wasn't with me, he would still have ND and Gawd knows what his life would be like. I have provided Photonic Therapy, massage therapy, daily excersize followed by a stretching routine, the healthiest diet, joint supplements, chiro...anything I can do to make him feel better. Maybe he is with me for a reason...perhaps this is how it is meant to be...I am not a believer in co-incidences.

Well thanks for listening gang. This is the first time I have ever used this forum for "therapy" purposes. I usually keep my posts light and not too serious. I must say, writing this down and reading it over kinda makes me fell a little better...kinda..

:o)

Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 am

Talk to Bay-Lee and Barfoot Horsegirl here on this forum. As scary as it sounds, navicular does not have to be as bad as it sounds. I had a navicular horse when I was in college. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have the knowledge/information available to me like there is now.

Hope your boy starts to feel better soon.
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Boomer couldn't ask for a better mom. He definitely came to you for a reason...with your TLC he has been able to blossum into the wonderful character that he is. I know the prognosis is a sad one but now that you know for sure...you can continue to give him continuing care and really concentrate on his needs. As Dexy said...there are several knowledgeable people on here who can advise on treatments, trims etc...to help ease his discomfort. I am sure his new shoes will be a good start to making him feel better.

As for us...we are here for each other...through good times and bad. putting things into perspective... 757770

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Aw, that's too bad! But as the others said, it's not such a poor prognosis as it once was, and hopefully he will have many more happily shod years with his great mom!....there is always a shoulder here whenever someone needs it!putting things into perspective... 757770

He's a lucky boy to have a such devoted mom.
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Poor boy. Is he the one you bought who wasn't gelded or trained? My guy has on going foot issues and the good side of that is it is forcing me to learn alot about feet - I wish someone would rub my feet as much as I have his lol.

ND is one I haven't learned alot about, is he rideable with the funky new shoes? I go back and forth on shoeing or not one time it worked one time it didn't. So for the past couple years he goes bare with boots for riding.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies for the ear.

I have been trimming him myself for the past year...much to my relief I was told by the Vet and the Farrier not to fire my trimmer as Boom's feet were healthy, strong and in perfect balance (as seen on his many x-rays)...neither of them knew it was me doing the hoofcare. I had boots as a backup, but never used them as his feet are rock hard. I have become fairly educated in the subject of navicular over the past 2 years..wanted to make sure I covered all my bases before opting for shoes

Is he rideable with the shoes? Good question. At this point I'd say no, however, it may take a bit for him to get used to the shoes and his new "way of moving". Yesterday he was grade1 lame on the left, and grade 2 on the right so there is likely still some inflammation from the ND and soreness from the nerve blocks ...I am hoping he becomes more comfortable as the days go by and eventually becomes sound. The thought of not being able to ride this wonderful horse makes me very sad...he is perfect in every way, except his feet of course. He really is the whole package..the "once in a lifetime" horse. Great mind, talent, and beautiful to look at. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ND or not he is much loved...I guess I'll just have to focus on all the great things he still has to offer me, and return the favor by keeping him comfy and happy.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh, and yes Tango, he is the untrained stud horse I bought as a five year old.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

Also Ask TC it is not as bad as it is made out to be and he can be quite comfy..
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 pm

Poor boy, and lucky boy at the same time. If it had to happen, I'm glad he's got you! Good luck with him <3
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

He's a lucky boy to have you. And you're very fortunate to live in an area where you have extensive vet care available. ND isn't a death sentence like it used to be. Keep us posted on his progress, and how about a picture of his spiffy new sneakers?
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 pm

OK...progress report...

As it turns out, my poor boy was even MORE uncomfortable in the shoes than he was bare, so upon the advice of my farrier, I pulled his shoes last evening. He is so tenderfooted, along with the "navicular stuff" going on that my heart just breaks for him. I have boots and pads that he'll wear when not pastured or stalled and I will be calling the farrier again on monday for further instructions.

:o(
Back to top Go down
Paint-Lady

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 6:21 am

I think I'm just cluing in as to who your horse is....Boomer ...as in My Zippers Booming????........ if so, we brought him in as a 2 yr old. We had sold him to what we thought was a good home... :( (anyway, thats another story) We heard some not so nice stories and wondered what had happened to him. Sorry to hear he has Navicular but happy that he now had a wonderful momma!

Here are a few pics and a clip of him lounging that I found.

putting things into perspective... HPIM3486
putting things into perspective... HPIM3480

putting things into perspective... HPIM3483

https://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn355/wwesthaver/?action=view&current=HPIM3484.mp4
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:56 pm

OH WOW!!!! That is so cool!! We are speaking of the same horse :o) I bought him as a stud...he has some VERY pretty babies.. Thank you SO much for the pictures, as I don't have any pics and know nothing of his history. He is much loved and will always have a home with me. He has turned into a beautiful kind soul that for some reason has the ability to touch everyone he meets...everyone loves Boomer...better known as "the BOOM". It makes me sad to think his earlier days weren't so great...at the same time, it may explain some things, as in the health of his poor feet. Thank you again for the pictures...you have no idea how greatful I am. I'll tell Boomer we've met..I'm sure he'll remember you :o)
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 pm

So sorry to hear of the diagnosis but in time I think you can get your boy back to normal with the proper lifestyle. Navicular isn't a death sentence. Glad that you know what the problem is now and can work to make it better. He's very lucky to have you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: putting things into perspective...   putting things into perspective... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

putting things into perspective...
Page 1 of 1