Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE Empty
PostSubject: Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE   Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

Hi,

I have a 20 plus 15.2 hh quarter horse gelding who needs alot of grain to maintain him. I have no pasture btw. I feed lots of hay. My question: I have been feeding him Purina's Hi Fat Hi Fiber, Equilizer, but it wasn't enough, so added crimped oats, flax, (and beet pulp through the winter).

I e-mailed Pam Mackenzie at Purina for another option that might work better for my horse. She suggested the following:

Evolution Senior--Go to www.agripurina.ca follow equine. Products then you'll find more info. It makes a super mash. Add as much water as feed. Introduce slowly. Your flax and beet pulp are in it. Its more $ but lower feed rate and more digestible. Also, look at Pur-A-Yeast under supplements--it will get the bacteria back in his gut. Horse Plus if he is really nerved up but try the loose salt first and lots of water available. Feed small meals often if possible. We have Horse Chow Checkers to use for snacks too or if the horse is in really rough shape start with checker soaked. They have alfalfa included for roughage and are a gentle start back.

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS AS TO WHAT TO FEED MY HORSE--WHAT HAS WORKED FOR OTHER "HARD KEEPERS". THANKS EVERYONE!!
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE   Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

Great post! I just got back from the feed store with a bag of Equalizer and a bag of Evolution Senior Feed! How weird is that???????
My gelding is almost 31 - Worthy gets some pasture, though, it's keeping the other horses 2 fat, but he needs more. I hate having them thin going into winter!
I'll let you know how we get along with this feed...it's very difficult for us to feed in the morning, as they are out 24/7, and we both work away from home....so hopefully he'll get along ok with once a day....the weight seems to be going from his topline, the rest of him looks okay...
Back to top Go down

Grain Question for HARD KEEPER OLDER HORSE
Page 1 of 1