Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Lumpy Horse

Go down 
+11
Salsasue
Mac-Ben
~TC~
Barefoot_Horsegirl
Tammy
SexyDexy
Freva
threehorses
Wissy
Twilight
DesignedByDiesel
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

CHECK OUT PHOTO
A Lumpy Horse 9316_279157695229_500790229_9284514_4977977_n

In Mid-September my 10 year old Quarter Horse gelding broke out in hives. We figured it was just the bugs out after a rain storm we just had. Unfortunately they did not go away after a few days.

I had a Friday off to prepare for the Valley Reiners so I set up an appointment with the vet. She came out, examined Zippy. Did a CBC on him. Bloodwork was all normal with no infections. He was diagnosed "lumpy Zippy syndrome" (not really, i made that one up) She gave him a shot of dexamethasone IV and we set him up on Dex powder for the hives. He was cleared up within the day and remained on dex for 12 days. He was perfectly fine and back to normal. I even got a few rides on him. Last Wedneday was his last dex treatment. I was so glad this was done and over.

Sunday rolls around and there Zippy is standing in his stall getting "Zippy Lumpy Sydrome" all over again. As the day progressed things pretty much stayed the same until later that evening it got worse. I went to work Monday and spoke to the vet who is on Zip's case. We decided we'd treat this like a strep infection since sometimes a certain infection can cause hives.

We are on day #3 of Antihistamine and Duplocillin Injections. There has been no improvements. Zip is still lumpy and WORSE.

We've tried switchings hays, ruled out grain, supplements, grass. No new treats or different trees around either. It is something different in the air this year is my guess that is irritating his immune system. We just don't know what. He's gotten SO bad the hives are breaking open and serum is seeping out of them. I put a blanket on him and locked all the barn doors tonight to see if that helps.

Someone give me some idea what kind of allergy he could have?!?!
Back to top Go down
Twilight

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Poor dear boy!!!!

Allergic to all his ribbons and trophies?????? JK

Is the stable next door doing anything different as part of their mosquito control system, sparked by the EEE?

Wormer?
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Don't think the GHRC did anything different..

Wormed both horses last Thursday when I brought them inside. A day after his dex pwdr was done
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 pm

my sisters horse had a similar problem last year, he was pretty scary looking too.. not sure what she gave him but I think it was by injection.. and she washed his hives that were weeping too with benidine..(sp).. I'll ask her to check this out for you.. and maybe she'll post something that might help..
Back to top Go down
threehorses

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:26 am

Are hives the only symptom? He sure is covered, isn't he.

One of our horses had an allergic reaction several years ago; he also was covered in hives but also experienced severe respiratory distress, very elevated heart rate, and swelling around his face. After the vet arrived and stabilized him (we came very, very close to losing him) we decided to have him checked for allergies. Blood was drawn (at a subsequent visit) and sent for analysis- turns out he is very or somewhat allergic to a lot of things included in the panels they chose. An anti allergin kit was made up for him, to be administered by subcutaneous injections, and I do think he has benefited from it....I also keep a bottle of Predef on hand if he needs it, just to buy us a bit of time in case the vet isn't able to come as quickly as he was the last time.

Hope you find out what is triggering this reaction for your boy...good luck :flower:
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:41 am

He's the same horse, just covered in hives from head to tail. No other symptoms. He's cranky because he's itchy.
Went to feed the horsies this morning. The hives went down over the night. I did lock the barn up like I said in the first post so it has to be something outside.
I'd get allergy testing done but I can't afford it even if I do work at the vet clinic I get my services, there is no discount on Large Animal things. **rolls eyes**
I just clean the broken ones with warm water. Zippy loves it to an extent. ha
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:12 am

Poor Zip....looks downright painful!!!!!!

From a different point of view. I have a friend, who for the past 2 or 3 years, by the 2nd week in September has such severe breathing problem come out of the blue that she has been hospitalized. She loves gardening and has pinpointed that there is some allergin in the decaying plants or soil that triggers her problem since it happens when she starts clearing her flower beds. My question is...his he allowed to graze during the day or only on hay and grain. It could simply be that he has an allergy to the decay this time of year and hopeful in will go away with frost and freeze up.

Don't you wish they could talk sometimes and give us their opinion??? Sounds like you are covering all angles. Hope he improves very soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

He's not in any pain whatsoever. It just itches a lot. I imagine it probably feels like chicken pox.

He does not have breathing problems at all either.

He grazes year round and gets grain twice daily and hay unlimited.
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:58 am

I understood that it was not affecting his breathing...thankfully. What I was thinking that since you were saying that it seemed to be something outside that perhaps it is from something he might be coming into contact with while grazing like the molds that have to be forming in the soil and dying foliage and grass. Could he be confined strictly to his stall or a paddock with only hay, somehow off the gound, for a few days to see if his condition improves???

I used to work in an Arab stable and we often gave the horses rinses with a little bit of Tuttles in the water which might offer him some itch releif but which also might irritate his open hives....catch 22 situation.

I am sure you have tried all angles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 am

Four years ago I moved my boys to a boarding stable temporarily and Major broke out in hives for the first time ever right around this time of year. We treated it the same as you. I figured there must be something different there in the pasture/barn that set it off. The hives came back for a second time a couple weeks later, then it got cold and things froze up for the winter. I never knew exactly what it was but considering the hives stopped after it got cold, I have to assume it was plant related. I moved them home before spring and he never did get hives again.

Is this his first fall in your barn or has he been there a while? Hard to explain if he's been there every other fall without incidence.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:26 am

Poor Zippy! I get itchy just looking at his picture. I don't have any useful input - just wanted to let you know that I hope the boy gets better soon. Hives are NO fun!

A Lumpy Horse 567870
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:53 am

Maybe try some Tea Tree Oil in the water when your washing the hives, it will help sooth the itching. No experience with horses and hives, but I've broken out like this before and the itching was INSANE!
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm

This is Zippy's third fall/winter here. Never had a problem before with this.
I never thought of putting tea tree oil on them. It might help the ones broken open, thanks.
Back to top Go down
threehorses

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Yup, the allergy testing is expensive, and the kits aren't cheap either....I think the cost of anything "equine" automatically gets a higher price...seems like it anyway.

Since he showed improvement when stabled it does sound like something outside- is there any chance when he is out he could be in an area with only hay? Sometimes it's just a process of elimination, and if you eliminate one thing at a time it may help to pinpoint what is triggering it.
We have a lot of bugs here still, and our horses are bothered by those little culicoides- sometimes called no see ums or midges; they always have big welts on them from those bites similar to what your horse has but to a lesser degree.

I feel for you and your boy....good luck with this
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 am

He usually doesn't graze this much this time of year. the grass is pretty scarce. They mainly feed on their hay only.

I spoke to the vet on Zip's case and we have him back on dex and then going to try putting him on Epic-Canadian the witch-craft supplement as she called it.
Also asked her about no-seeums and they are only out in the early summer not in the fall season and they wouldn't leave those kind of hives on him. They even appeared under the blanket i have on him. So it's not bugs.

He's never been sensitive to bugs for the past 10 years I wouldn't understand why he's all of a sudden have an intolerence to them.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Was the blanket on before the hives broke out?

(maybe thinking of the blanket causing it? Maybe if it is new? Or last washed in a detergent he is allergic to?)
Back to top Go down
Mac-Ben

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Lumps   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:07 pm

This is just a shot in the dark.

I have done barn chores at various barns over the years that use sawdust or shavings for bedding. Many, many times horses have broken out in hives due to the bedding being composed of juniper or hemlock. I have seen horses be OK on shaving but break out on sawdust and vice versa, even when composed of the same raw materials.

This had been confirmed by various vets, after ruling out feed changes, blankets being washed, recent vaccinations and a few other variables.

~~
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:27 pm

No I put the blanket on the other day to see if it would help with bringing the hives down so it would be less of his body exposed. It did help a wee bit.

I don't use shavings, I use wood pellets. I've been using them for 5 years now, had no problems whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Salsasue

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Zippu   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Poor Zippy. My new mare had hives when I 1st brought her home, but nothing like poor Zippy...

Good luck..

Salsasue
Back to top Go down
~TC~

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 8:48 pm

This message board has lots of conversations regarding Hives... (I did a search on the topic)..

You might find some new ideas and info in there...

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/search.php?searchid=5722105
Back to top Go down
Sooke

Sooke

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am

Had the same problem and it turned out to buttercups! They are mildly poisonous, and most horses won't touch them, but there's always an exception to every rule and I had one! Foxglove, rhubarb and cedar oils apparently do the same thing...Hope he gets better soon!
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: wood pellets and lumpy horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 11:50 am

just an idea...but i wonder if the wood pellets ARE the culprit? maybe the company has changed how they process the wood pellets and have added a chemical or something that is affecting your horse? I'd contact them and see. Also, why don't you try changing the bedding to peat moss for a few weeks and see if that works. I know--the stuff gets all over the place...but it's "natural" and very absorbent. Worth a try! Please keep us posted--we're all concerned about your horse.
Back to top Go down
threehorses

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:26 pm

My neighbour hadn't had allergies until she was in her 40's when she developed a severe allergy to ragweed; my friend's horse also seemed to become allergic to penicillin- he'd had it several times with no ill effects, but the last time he had a severe reaction. Could be a possiblity for your guy. It would seem to be systemic, since he's pretty much covered.
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 pm

it's not wood pellets. I explained before that when he is inside with the barn doors shut and confined from the outdoors the hives go down and are not as severe
It's NOTHING inside.
At this time of year my guess is a pollin that is "different" this year or some other "something" that is floating around since there is NO changes.

As for allergy testing, I really don't believe in it. If I was to allergy test Zip for things it would come back with a 100 different things that will cause hives.. And the same would go for my filly if I tested her and she doesn't have a lump or bump on her. That's just my theory and anyone can say what they want. My opinion is that it is just a waste of money
Back to top Go down
Oakie Dokie

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 am

I was just reading this and realizied it was posted a bit ago and was wondering how he is feeling now?
I have never seen this so I can't say much, but I am curious if it cleared up on it's own or with meds or if hr still has this condition......poor baby! Good Luck! Healing vibs your way....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Lumpy Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Lumpy Horse   A Lumpy Horse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Lumpy Horse
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next