Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PONYING LESSON #1

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Fronie and I had a chance to have the first ponying lesson for Thunder and Skipper on Thursday. It went fairly well, despite the damp underwear. I think we laughed so hard we peed ourselves! But as everyone knows, before you can play you must get your work done. So here's a picture showing that we actually do work. Just because Fronie's the only one in the picture doesn't mean that I don't work too!

PONYING LESSON #1 FronieatWork

As Fronie was filling the outdoor water bucket she started complaining because the "switch" wasn't on the gun anymore. Just as I was walking over to see what she's talking about, which usually doesn't have anything to do with what's actually happening, she lifted the nozzle to show me that there wasn't a clip and "accidentally" pulled the trigger. Once I finished screeching (it was COLD) I showed her where the proper switch was. Hmmmmm ... I'm sensing the devil at play .... PONYING LESSON #1 831788

Before we got the ponies out I decided to finally use the self timer feature on my camera so that we could get a picture with both of us in it. I set the camera on the top rail of the riding ring, pushed the button and then ran like heck to stand beside Fronie before the camera went off. Rosie wasn't sure what I was running about - only that I was running (and THAT doesn't happen often) so she came tearing after me.

PONYING LESSON #1 BarnBabes

How do you like our jackets? We got them at Marks Work Wearhouse and are going to have Peetree Stables embroidered on them. Fronie wanted our names on too but I told her there was no way I was going to make myself easily identifiable when I was travelling with her. Trouble just has a way of finding Fronie.

Next step was to get the ponies. I decided to ride bareback because I still can't barely move after riding Stretch the other day. The mere thought of sitting in my saddle again made me cry in pain! Skipper is quickly catching on to all the weird things that I do. The first time I mounted him bareback he just stood there. Second time he'd swing his rump away from the fence. And now you'll see the sequence of pictures that will give you an idea of how THAT situation is going lately! He may as well be 16hh as far as I'm concerned when he's bareback!

I line him up parallel to the fence and as soon as I get on the fence he swings his rump away.

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt3

I was almost up this time but gracefully slid off as he started to walk around.

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt

I have another approach in mind.

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt2

I spy with my little eye a stool at the other end of the ring!

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt4

Hmmm ... this may work.

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt5

I smell success!

PONYING LESSON #1 MountingAttempt6

Mission Accomplished!!!!

PONYING LESSON #1 MountedFinally

Ready to Rock
PONYING LESSON #1 Goodstop

Our first steps. Well, Skipper's first step. Thunder hadn't made up his mind if he wanted to play or not!
PONYING LESSON #1 FirstStepOff

Thunder started to lag behind a bit. I want him up near my knee so that there isn't any chance of Kayla being kicked by Skipper if he gets mad at Thunder.
PONYING LESSON #1 Walking3

the Whoa was going really well. Thunder of course was giving his opinion by sticking out his tongue.
PONYING LESSON #1 RestPeriodNiceTongue

Turning to the Right
PONYING LESSON #1 TurningRight

The cats were quite entertained by all the activities. Mia watched the whole show from centre ring but Barney soon lost interest and went running off.
PONYING LESSON #1 CatAudience

Thunder lagging behind again.
PONYING LESSON #1 LaggingBehind

Changing Direction
PONYING LESSON #1 OtherDirection

Getting a little too close and very out of position.
PONYING LESSON #1 AWeeBitClose

Behind again.
PONYING LESSON #1 LaggingBehindAgain

Overall it went quite well. I have to work on Skipper neck reining so I can have one hand on his reins and one hand on the lead rope. As you can see on the videos, steering is a bit of an issue. I'm also not sure how to keep Thunder in position. He lags behind a bit and I hate "pulling" him to get him to catch up. It just seems wrong to pull him when a horses natural reaction to being pulled forward is to put their weight back. Any suggestions? We had alot of fun though.

Here are the links to the videos. My photobucket kept locking up when I was loading them so I'm not sure if I have them all or not. The best one is when I was going towards Fronie and she got to experience first hand my steering difficulties!

PONYING LESSON #1 Th_MVI_2661

PONYING LESSON #1 Th_MVI_2663

If anyone has advice on how I can get Thunder to speed up and stay in position without it looking like he's being hung, please share you knowledge! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:27 pm

you always seem to have such a great time with your horses. you also have a beautiful arena
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 am

Such a color contrast between the two boys!! Looks like everything went quite well.

Thunder may be intimidated by Skipper - not sure how the roost is ruled but often times colts won't come up too close to our big mare because she is alpha... she won't kick them when she's under saddle because she knows better but I think they stay behind her because they feel safer. They're far too familiar with her being the boss to test coming up beside her.

Another thought....maybe Thunder doesn't like being up next to him because he can't see what is on that side of him now except a big white blob...

Maybe try a rope halter as he's liable to be a bit more responsive to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Flicka

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 am

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.. I love it!!!!!!!

I use to have the problem with Dealer and Flicka. I could ride Flicka and lead Dealer but he'd rather trail behind, and I couldn't even get Dealer to walk if I was riding him to pony Flicka. I had been known for wrapping the rope around the horn and letting Flicka pull him if he slowed down on the ride itself and I couldn't convince him to speed up. Good workout for both of them.. :P But it wasn't tied, and I could let go of my end and it would quickly release.

I did find a rope halter worked, and so did someone for a couple lessons (and then a couple reminder inbetween lessons) behind him with a crop or lunge whip to "remind" him when I said to "walk on", "jog", or "catch up" he would do it. (Yes both him and Flicka knew what "Catch Up" ment, Flicka loved it as it ment she could speed up.)

One thing is, don't lead off the bridle (if possible) and never with a chain over/under the nose.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Looking good! I think they'll get the hang of it with a few more practive sessions. Once your pretty sure Skipper isn't going to kick out and you get Kayla on board she will be able to encourage Thunder forward with her legs and voice so it should work out.

I love your jackets, are they Carhartt? My Dad's g/f got the same one for Christmas. :)
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Hmmm ... I really like the idea of teaching Thunder the verbal cue of "Catch Up". And I keep forgetting that Kayla will be on him. Duuuhhhhhh !

Hey DC - who are you calling a big white blob? I hope you're referring to Skipper. I don't wear white after September! HA HA!

Yep, our jackets are Carhart for women. We just LOVE them. We're now in the process of picking out lettering and a small Stretch head to have embroidered on them. And of course Fronie will have to add some bling to hers. Does anyone know where you can buy "collar tips"? (not sure if that's the name for them or not!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PONYING LESSON #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONYING LESSON #1   PONYING LESSON #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PONYING LESSON #1
Page 1 of 1