Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scratches on a back foot

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

Scratches on a back foot Empty
PostSubject: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:33 am

One of my ponies has scratches on his back left pastern. What do you suggest I should treat it with? I have been spraying Apple cider vinegar and TTO. But that is not doing too much. Over the last few days it is getting worse. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mud Fever. :devil5.gif:

This is what I normally do. Shave the hair around it, wash it in epson salt water, dry, put some TTO or such on it, let it dry really well, and then slab the baby butt cream (zinc stuff) to it and keep the horse out the the mud pits for a bit. If I can't keep them out of the mud, I'll then add petrolum jelly (I think is what it is) to the top of the mixture.

If it's really bad, the vet is able to make a special mix for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_fever
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 pm

I used Zincofax last year and it cleared up in a few days..
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 pm

I heard MTG works great too!
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 am

MP, your whiltelightning will work on sctratches too.... You just have to tie the bag higher on the leg to cover the scratches or mud fever.

It may bleach the hair a bit lighter, but a small price to pay.

scratches are an indication the horse is trying to expel some "Crap" in its system, I have seen horses go through a multitude of skin issues while transitioning to BF, including warts, (@ 4 years old) flakey skin, scratches etc, all at once for a good month, then POOF, in great shape. Really bizarre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scratches on a back foot   Scratches on a back foot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scratches on a back foot
Page 1 of 1